Shoe Brands that were popular back in the 80s and 90s that you wore as a kid

I had some LA Gear shoes in the late 80's that I loved. I think they looked like these ones.
images

Back in the 80s and early 90s if you were not rocking High tops you were not hip, high and mid tops were the only shoes we would rock as kids, it was always high tops like those LA Gears, Reebok Pumps, AVias, Jordans, they had to be high tops or mid tops.

I had Filas and LA lights or plain old LA gear. I grew up with wide feet and the cheap brands made all the wide shit.

I used to have some sweet Champions too.

Why did they not like them?

Someone mentioned in this thread that BK stood for Blood Killer and the Crips were rocking them like crazy it became gang affiliated and it was the demise of the BKs sad really.

BKs were popular with Crip Gang bangers that is why they fell off, they were nice ass shoes too, very flashy and stylish but the bangers were wearing them.

Here is an article on it
British Knights were banned because they were adopted by the Los Angeles Crips gang

Fact Or Fiction: Fact

Though the BK on the side stood for British Knights, the "Crips" in Los Angeles started wearing the shoes and the legend began that BK stood for "Blood Killer." In response, schools and universities banned the shoes in order to curb gang-related violence.

https://www.complex.com/sneakers/20...lling-25-sneaker-myths/british-knights-banned

I guess the shoe has some type of gang affiliation to it.

once the gangs and the hood attached to it folks didn't want their kids rocking BKs, BKs were so stylish ahead of their time man, you had reeboks that were bland and boring, but BK really was an innovator. LA gears were fly as fuck too these brands were really thinking outside the box while the mainstream was playing it safe, then the Jordans started coming out they made them more flashy to defeat these other shoe brands.

a kid in my HS Senior year basketball team photo (from 2000, mind you) is wearing BK Dymacels, no lie

The Fila Grant Hills were the hotness in like 7th grade

the Reebok Big Hurt Preseasons (Frank Thomas trainers) went ultra hard too, as did the Reebok Kamikaze I and II (Shawn Kemps)

Last edited:
15539433874_beff92b37d_b.jpg

Oh man, I had these Avia 822's. They were my basketball shoes and matched my school's colors perfectly. The sole on these things were hard as hell. You could walk 100 miles a day every day and it would take forever to wear them out.

I had a pair of Nike Air Delta Force B-ball shoes in Red, Gray, and White that I never wore. I liked them in the store but hated the gray when I got home. They were new in box and remained in the closet of my parents' house until roughly 2001 when my Mom donated them to a local "Helping Hands" store. The box never saw daylight and even it was mint. I once saw a pair sell for $500 in the same condition without the box. Ughhhh.

Oh snap DADAs with the spinners I remember those joints they were popular up to the early 2000s and fell off

I still cant believe people actually rocked them lol
m_5a852f4c3afbbdb2b54a457d.jpg
I had the ones that said WEBB on the side no spinners

Someone mentioned in this thread that BK stood for Blood Killer and the Crips were rocking them like crazy it became gang affiliated and it was the demise of the BKs sad really.

BKs were popular with Crip Gang bangers that is why they fell off, they were nice ass shoes too, very flashy and stylish but the bangers were wearing them.

Here is an article on it
British Knights were banned because they were adopted by the Los Angeles Crips gang

Fact Or Fiction: Fact

Though the BK on the side stood for British Knights, the "Crips" in Los Angeles started wearing the shoes and the legend began that BK stood for "Blood Killer." In response, schools and universities banned the shoes in order to curb gang-related violence.

https://www.complex.com/sneakers/20...lling-25-sneaker-myths/british-knights-banned

once the gangs and the hood attached to it folks didn't want their kids rocking BKs, BKs were so stylish ahead of their time man, you had reeboks that were bland and boring, but BK really was an innovator. LA gears were fly as fuck too these brands were really thinking outside the box while the mainstream was playing it safe, then the Jordans started coming out they made them more flashy to defeat these other shoe brands.

Cheers for that in depth reply. Much appreciated, especially as it took a while to type.

Does anybody know what brand of shoe LL is wearing on this album cover? I never could figure it out.

23iig48.jpg
D
294nm00.jpg

pumas, diadora, i remember a brand called "Bike". they also made dodgeballs/kickballs i think.

definitely wore the ones in the OP.

diadora were the shit.

they were still around in europe last i heatd. they gave ron artest a sinature shoe.

i remember when in HS, Saucony made a comeback w/ the clones of the Newbie 571s

a few years later, never saw them again

Not these exact ones, think mine were black with skulls or sth...

!BumJ%285!CWk~$%28KGrHqMOKiEEvMRIJbYeBM!+zkQVQQ~~_3.JPG

Had me some Reebok Classics back in the day, along with some FILA creps. Shit, I had a pair of those Nike's with the lime green fuego for hitting kneeslides at the school disco. The early 2000s were basically the 90s.

I used to wear generic running trainers for comfort but thought it was worth mentioning that you could buy reebok classics for £19.99 in the uk.
I bought a pair to hike/walk the dog in as they were considered uncool and the "smackheads" choice of trainer.
49797_01_standard.jpg

Now they are considered "retro" and are sold for £70 give or take.
I have even seen them being advertised in American mens style blogs as summer shoes.

Back