Shogun refuses to put down gloves: retirement talks

Should shogun finish his contract and fight 3 more?

• Total voters

Zebra Cheeks

Cheeky Bastard
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/...ily-request-sets-possible-deadline-career-end

Shogun talks about what's left for him. Despite his family begging him to end his career after the most recent Brutal lobby smith shogun is thinking he'll stay for another 3 fights and wrap up his current contract.

I honestly love shogun but cmon man, we care about your long term health that last ko was hard af to watch, and they won't get better

Athletes staying too long is common in all sports

Football has done a good job by giving retired players jobs in broadcasting and other things

Damn.

Poor dude is a CTE posterboy waiting to happen at this stage.

He is one of the biggest warriors I've ever seen in the UFC, but his reflexes are gone. He's taking WAY too much damage in his last few fights.

Every fighter should retire on their own terms

Listening to others telling them to retire is why guys like Chuck get the itch and come out of retirement when they're nearly 50.

Don't worry, he was just in a 3-fight win streak prior to his fight with Smith, so that means he still has enough in the tank to compete at a high level and maybe even challenge for the belt.

Amirite, Shogun fans?

He should've retired years ago. Go back and watch the Hendo fights and realize this guy is still fighting. He might be the most brain damaged fighter on the roster right now.

He should retire right now.

Damn.

Poor dude is a CTE posterboy waiting to happen at this stage.

He is one of the biggest warriors I've ever seen in the UFC, but his reflexes are gone. He's taking WAY too much damage in his last few fights.
Yeah the smith fight where he started grappling the referee for way too lonn was tough to watch

give him 3 bums

give him 3 bums

That's the thing there are no bums in the UFC anymore. Everybody he faces is going to want to take his head off because of his name. If he wants to fight bums he should do it in another organization.

Shogun is a strange one. Too worn to be a serious contender, but too powerful not to KO another old timer. He is either getting brain damage or doling it out.

No idea who they should pair him up with to fight. Glover would be good, but they are mates, no? Manuwa would be a cracker, but he is too highly ranked. Maybe outside the top 15, tbh or a "money fight."

some people have to learn the hard way, i guess.

To be fair he at least admitted to not being able to hang with the top 15 anymore and wanted "legend" fights. Also he did laugh about the retirement talk I don't think it was that serious

I love Shogun and will predict he win his next 1000 fights by R1 KO and I will root for him with all my heart while I watch with gut wrenching anxiety, BUT, IMHO, its time to give up the ghost. He has nothing to gain and everything to lose.

I would like to see Shogun fight 3 more wars and then retire, for entertainment purposes of course.

That's the thing there are no bums in the UFC anymore. Everybody he faces is going to want to take his head off because of his name. If he wants to fight bums he should do it in another organization.
LOL.. there you have 3:

Bojhan Mihajlovic
John Stansbury
Patrick Cummins

Listening to others telling them to retire is why guys like Chuck get the itch and come out of retirement when they're nearly 50.
Good point. Never thought of it that way.

You know he is doing it because he lost his free check “working” at the UFC office right?
Guys like him,Matt Hughes,Rampage got a lot of freebies from ZUFFA,most of all because of the Frittatas bros.
WME cut them off and now those who didn’t manage their accounts smartly are having money problems.
Hence why they are having the “itch” again.

Shogun doesn’t have this problem,financially is secure.

And we as fans don’t want to see he get to a point where he will be not able to live a happy life with his family because of a serious health problem.

He needs to be on the B Circuit if he's going to continue to fight cause he's going to get more brain damage in the UFC.

The damage is already done, might as well finish out and fight three more. Maybe he will get lucky and win one, I say this as a big Shogun fan

Back