Shooting in wrestling

nostripewhite

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
When I see others shoot in it's like they almost slide across the mat. Can Someone break down how to properly shoot in for a double leg?

When I see others shoot in it's like they almost slide across the mat. Can Someone break down how to properly shoot in for a double leg?

When it comes to wrestling, you should pay attention to anything Jack or Holt post. The only thing I'll add is that when you see people getting amazing penetration like they're gliding across the mat, it's important to realize that their knees are barely touching the surface. You're changing levels by bending your legs, but you shouldn't have your knee bounce off the mat before your forward motion starts. Dudes with really, really slick shots often won't even touch the mat with their knees until they're already in on your hips, they're just changing levels and exploding forward from what is essentially a very deep crouch/lunge position. If you can feel your knee just brush the mat as you change levels and shoot, you're probably doing it right.

If you want to get better at a movement, actually practice the movement; do shadow shots, do duckwalks, get something heavy you can hold in your arms like a 50lb sandbag or plate or dumbell, and get low and start moving. Things that will get you used to the movement and condition you to move smoothly and easily though that range of motion.

Last edited:
Get comfortable and strong in your legs laterally and below 90 degrees. Everyone squats or lunges to 90 but never really get strong or work on below that in the US

Sometimes when one wrestler isn't cooperating, the match will become a shoot.

Get comfortable and strong in your legs laterally and below 90 degrees. Everyone squats or lunges to 90 but never really get strong or work on below that in the US

- You mean go deep like olympic lifting?

I only practiced and executed the classic way with my knee making light, swift contact.

The double without the knee touching the mat is something I never bothered learning since the other double worked so well for me.

The one thing that always scares me about the MMA double or no knee-touch double is my fear of being guillotined as it’s harder to keep head up with that particular shot. The benefit in that shot is lighting fast.

You see a lot of wrestlers drilling this. Get into the deep squatted position, hold it, and walk the circumference of the mat. Very helpful. Also, you will want to really work on calf, ham, glute flexibility. Aggressive stretching routines for those posterior chain muscles (PNF and stuff like that) will drastically and almost immediately help that deep squat ROM youre talking about. Its really pretty miraculous.

You see a lot of wrestlers drilling this. Get into the deep squatted position, hold it, and walk the circumference of the mat. Very helpful. Also, you will want to really work on calf, ham, glute flexibility. Aggressive stretching routines for those posterior chain muscles (PNF and stuff like that) will drastically and almost immediately help that deep squat ROM youre talking about. Its really pretty miraculous.
Completely agree, most of the preseason stuff I’ve been doing is this type of stuff. Rather than just running

Completely agree, most of the preseason stuff I’ve been doing is this type of stuff. Rather than just running
Oh really? That's an interesting approach to preparation. Sometimes focusing on those finer points/details can pay huge dividends.

Oh really? That's an interesting approach to preparation. Sometimes focusing on those finer points/details can pay huge dividends.
If a kid can’t whether due to lack of strength or flexibility/mobility do a body weight squat or lunge he’ll have trouble doing a level change and shot. So it’s a lot of bodyweight work, bearcraws foward, sideways, and back for their shoulders. Monkey shuffles Teaching them how to do the dynamic warmups which smokes them plenty, we have them run too but most of these kids haven’t even played outside so you have to be patient

Back