SHOT CALLER - Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Jon Bernthal, Crime / Prison Drama Movie

That's amazing.

To be fair I never really dive into any online chatters about the TV shows I watch. (besides maybe a post or two around here in Mayberry) The only time I will really start researching a show is when after it officially ends.

The cast is good. The story is okay.

"Things get ugly" sounds like getting shit pushed in

"Things get ugly" sounds like getting shit pushed in

Not specifically that, but there is a lot of this-is-the-kind-of-shit-you-only-have-to-go-through-if-you-go-to-prison stuff in it.

I started a thread about this movie A few weeks ago and nobody gave a shit. With almost the same title too
<DCrying>

I started a thread about this movie A few weeks ago and nobody gave a shit. With almost the same title too
<DCrying>

LOL.

Well to be fair the thread has only gotten like 15 replies in about 8 hours so it still seems like most people don't care.

Would you like to offer some thoughts on the movie?

ec_109369_0_Felon.jpg

I think that this one is an old gem. Great cast and based on a true story too.

LOL.

Well to be fair the thread has only gotten like 15 replies in about 8 hours so it still seems like most people don't care.

Would you like to offer some thoughts on the movie?

In short, I liked it. I thought Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's character going to a maximum security prison was a bit of a stretch though. I liked the message of how normal people can turn to bad shit because of the circumstances without being too obvious. Obviously a commentary on the prison system as well. I thought the relationship between the cop and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau was a bit rushed though

In short, I liked it. I thought Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's character going to a maximum security prison was a bit of a stretch though. I liked the message of how normal people can turn to bad shit because of the circumstances without being too obvious. Obviously a commentary on the prison system as well. I thought the relationship between the cop and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau was a bit rushed though

I thought it was interesting, and a bit odd, how the movie places so much emphasis on his prison gang being the white supremacist type, but then pretty much NONE of the movie actually has anything to do with race or race relations.

I just watched this last night. Interesting film with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau a.k.a. Jaime Lannister.

It's a well-made movie and it's cool to see him tackle a role like this.

Anyone else seen it?

I haven't seen it but I want to. Shot Caller's are a real thing too. All prison gangs have shot callers and they decide who lives and who dies or maybe just who gets punished. If you go against the shot caller then you get killed. Its a vicious situation because prison inmates are forced to ride in a car. Your car is what gang you are affiliated with and so you will here references to car wrecks in prison which is actions between rival gangs. This is why people go in for relatively non-violent crime then turn out batshit crazy when they get out. They have to do what the shot caller says or die which make them commit more crimes, get more time, and then they are institutionalized. Then people think, well, he must have been bad all along but sometimes that isn't the case.

I thought it was interesting, and a bit odd, how the movie places so much emphasis on his prison gang being the white supremacist type, but then pretty much NONE of the movie actually has anything to do with race or race relations.

I assumed that was about keeping up with appearances. He's white, so the white prisoners get together to form a gang to protect themselves and racial pride is part their gimmick, but in reality it doesn't matter as much as other shit. It reminded me a bit of American History X where Ed Norton's character is shocked that this fellow gang members were doing deals with Mexicans in prison. The race shit doesn't matter in face of practicality.

I haven't seen it but I want to. Shot Caller's are a real thing too. All prison gangs have shot callers and they decide who lives and who dies or maybe just who gets punished. If you go against the shot caller then you get killed. Its a vicious situation because prison inmates are forced to ride in a car. Your car is what gang you are affiliated with and so you will here references to car wrecks in prison which is actions between rival gangs. This is why people go in for relatively non-violent crime then turn out batshit crazy when they get out. They have to do what the shot caller says or die which make them commit more crimes, get more time, and then they are institutionalized. Then people think, well, he must have been bad all along but sometimes that isn't the case.

You should go ahead and check out the movie. I think you'd find it interesting. It's depiction of prison life is absolutely terrifying.

I'd find a way to commit suicide if that ever ended up being my fate.

You should go ahead and check out the movie. I think you'd find it interesting. It's depiction of prison life is absolutely terrifying.

I'd find a way to commit suicide if that ever ended up being my fate.

It may actually be worse in real life man. Prison life in American prisons is fucked up. I got close to the pen one time, meaning I got sentenced to an amount of time that is too short for a prison. Most states will allow you to serve a year or less in a county jail and anything more is prison. Anyway, while I was there some guys were brought up from the state prison on bench warrants. Bench warrants are issued by a judge to bring a prisoner back to that particular county to go on trial for a separate crime.

So these guys were in prison for one thing but were bused back to county to go on trail again and they were placed in the cells with anyone at all, non-violent criminals, anyone, and they might be murderers, rapists, whatever. Anyway, these scary ass MF'ers would be brought in and it was like putting a professional baseball player in a minor league situation, he's knocking homers whenever he wants to. And so, I got an education about prison life and what you do and what you don't do. Its quite fascinating because regular folks might think the prison guards run the prison, they don't. The prisoners run the prison.

The byproduct of that causes some serious violence and weird rules and norms. Prison has its own society with its own laws and it doesn't matter if you agree or don't agree with it, you will learn the laws of the land and abide by them or pay a serious penalty. They say a lot of people in prison get killed for having a bad day. Your mental state is extremely important. An example would be, you are having a bad day, you are angry, irritated, agitated, so you say fuck you to the wrong inmate, maybe you just reach across the table for the salt and your arm breaks the plane of another inmates food tray, you are fooked pal, all because you were not mentally strong that day and made a bad choice.

I saw this two nights ago. It is well paced, and a decent flick. But I think it can be so much more if they only made dual movies or a trilogy. They introduced us to many interesting potential stories and characters. But that mass prison fight scene was good.

You have the gang and prison life itself, the effect on the family and readjustment to society, and the transformation of protagonist. This first movie they can still do the time jump from prison to outside life but focus more on Bottles, and Redwood, and how protag learns underneath them instead of jumping him all the way to the Beast himself. In fact they can have Bottles also on the outside with Protag. They can make the prison climax when Redwood shanks the guard. I wont have Protag busted outside again in first film. They can end off on the outside with Protag rejecting family at the motel.

Then in the second movie, Protag finally meets The Beast, and the stuff that goes on outside can finally come to conclusion. I have the Protag trying to reconcile and save his family from The Beast and the white gang. Whether he becomes new shotcaller or turns informant and stays out of prison doesnt really matter.

If you have Michael Weston in there you have to give him more screen time. They did the same thing to him in Sicario. He deserves better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back