SHOT CALLER - Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Jon Bernthal, Crime / Prison Drama Movie

Wow, loved this. This was everything I wanted Brawl In Cell Block 99 to be. And what a bonus, Holt McCallany from Mindhunter is great in this. Lots of great side performances, and a respectable dive out of the comfort zone for Jaime Lannister. Great flick.

I did not see Holt McCallany in this movie. And when I saw his picture, I thought he was latino or something

Just finished watching and I really enjoyed it. I agree that the premise would have worked better as a 2 part movie, it did feel a tad rushed. Still a solid 7/10

Watched it last night and it was pretty damn good
I was very impressed with how authentic everything was
They used the right slang words for the right prison gangs and understood prison politics and how convicts programmed on the yard and on the streets
The shit brought back some old memories lol

I still dont understand why Money did what he did at the end though
He knew they were on him, why go through with the gun sale?
Are you saying he was so institutionalized that he wanted to go back?
And why give up all those guns to the parole officer for free?
Because it was the right thing to do?
He wa a hardened killer by that point but I guess they were trying to say he still had a conscience which is whe he made sure all the gangsters involved in the sale and all the guns were off the streets?
Yea thats possible but a movie this good deserved a better resolution
Saw the trailer a while back and really was intrigued. Does it give an explanation for why an upper middle class (presumably) first time offender in a wrongful death accident is in a maximum security federal prison? Seems like he'd be in a cushy white collar crime minimum security risk deal.
He wasnt in a federal prison he was in Corcoran which is a California state prison
Im not gonna spoil the movie for you but its kinda plausible because he started out in gen pop and then worked his way up to level 4 high security through his own actions

But in reality a square bear businessman with strong family ties in the community, doing time for a DUI manslaughter with a release date less than two years away, would've most likely never even hit the main line
He would've went from a 23 and 1 classification yard straight to a level 1 work farm or fire camp and avoided all the drama that set him on the path to becoming a hardened criminal
Still worth watching though

Watched it last weekend, and while it was alright, three things massively did my head in and made me enjoy it less.

1) That guy wouldn't have been in with that lot, he was a high-flying pretty wealthy guy who went down for DUI / manslaughter. He wouldn't have ever been thrown to the wolves and chucked into a prison like that with that sort of inmate.

2) Even if I suspend disbelief on number 1. He would never have gotten to deep into the Peckerwood crew as quickly and effortlessly (to an extent) as that. Ridiculous.

3) 'The Beast' seemed like a good movie villain....yet got about 15mins of screen time. Waste of a character.

The whole film felt rushed and just too unbelievable, worth a watch though.

Watched it last weekend, and while it was alright, three things massively did my head in and made me enjoy it less.

1) That guy wouldn't have been in with that lot, he was a high-flying pretty wealthy guy who went down for DUI / manslaughter. He wouldn't have ever been thrown to the wolves and chucked into a prison like that with that sort of inmate.

2) Even if I suspend disbelief on number 1. He would never have gotten to deep into the Peckerwood crew as quickly and effortlessly (to an extent) as that. Ridiculous.

3) 'The Beast' seemed like a good movie villain....yet got about 15mins of screen time. Waste of a character.

The whole film felt rushed and just too unbelievable, worth a watch though.
I generally agree with #1 but you're off on #2 though
He put in work from the moment he hit the yard and refused to punk out no matter what happened so he would've quickly been embraced by the Woods
Recruitment starts as soon as you step off the bus and if you handle your shit and show a little intelligence you rise up quickly

I think keeping The Beast off screen added to his power as a character
In reality someone like that would be kept in Ad-Seg and would have almost no interaction with any other humans so doing it the way they did kept it believable and made him seem like a bad ass super villian

just finished watching it. enjoyed it a lot, you guys should check it out.

Awesome flick. Great performances by all. I agree with others, could have been a cool pair of films.

Characters had side arcs that could have been fleshed out, shit could even be a kick ass HBO or Netflix series.

Very good movie.

Last edited:

I think he knew he had screwed his chances of ever having a normal life and they would always have a hold over him in the outside world by using his family as collateral. By taking himself back into prison and running the joint it was esstentailly was the safest thing for his family. It gave him a power of authority he could never hold on the outside. Obviously it could back fire as he took out a main man which will have concequences, but my guess is he will pin it on the blacks / latinos.

Meh, it was alright,

Nothing special.

Just watched this movie last night, great movie. It has a little more impact if you know someone like this. I have seen a few people including my brother go into prison and return a completely different person. I loved the ending and @benebox got it correct in his assesment and thats how I saw it too. I loved the way the story flowed too, you didnt get that from the trailers. I would recommend to anyone that loves gangster or crime movies.

Aight, I'll stream it now on Amazon Prime to see if it's worth anything to me. I'll report back. Not reading whole thread for fear of spoilers. I've passed this movie over more than a handful of times, but it's now on my tv.

Aight, I'll stream it now on Amazon Prime to see if it's worth anything to me. I'll report back. Not reading whole thread for fear of spoilers. I've passed this movie over more than a handful of times, but it's now on my tv.

Finished it a few minutes ago.

I'll say out of the gate that it was better than what I gleaned from passing over the synopsis and cover art. I don't think there was much of any break-out performances, but overall it was pretty good and kept my attention for the most part. I have to note that Keith Jardine did a good job in his albeit small role. I remember seeing him in some other movies and I just couldn't buy his performance.

It does bring up the conversation (which I'm happy is getting seemingly more attention) of how when the US prison system is at its worst, a cruel machine that creates animals from men out of pure survival. The whole US prison discussion is an exhaustive one. It's a broken system and ultimately only profits the people that won't have to ever step inside one. Welp .... that's the end of that rant.

Watched it last night and it was pretty damn good
I was very impressed with how authentic everything was
They used the right slang words for the right prison gangs and understood prison politics and how convicts programmed on the yard and on the streets
The shit brought back some old memories lol

He knew they were on him, why go through with the gun sale?
Are you saying he was so institutionalized that he wanted to go back?
And why give up all those guns to the parole officer for free?
Because it was the right thing to do?
He wa a hardened killer by that point but I guess they were trying to say he still had a conscience which is whe he made sure all the gangsters involved in the sale and all the guns were off the streets?
Yea thats possible but a movie this good deserved a better resolution

He wasnt in a federal prison he was in Corcoran which is a California state prison
Im not gonna spoil the movie for you but its kinda plausible because he started out in gen pop and then worked his way up to level 4 high security through his own actions

But in reality a square bear businessman with strong family ties in the community, doing time for a DUI manslaughter with a release date less than two years away, would've most likely never even hit the main line
He would've went from a 23 and 1 classification yard straight to a level 1 work farm or fire camp and avoided all the drama that set him on the path to becoming a hardened criminal
Still worth watching though

Where are you from? Did you do time?

Finished it a few minutes ago.

I'll say out of the gate that it was better than what I gleaned from passing over the synopsis and cover art. I don't think there was much of any break-out performances, but overall it was pretty good and kept my attention for the most part. I have to note that Keith Jardine did a good job in his albeit small role. I remember seeing him in some other movies and I just couldn't buy his performance.

It does bring up the conversation (which I'm happy is getting seemingly more attention) of how when the US prison system is at its worst, a cruel machine that creates animals from men out of pure survival. The whole US prison discussion is an exhaustive one. It's a broken system and ultimately only profits the people that won't have to ever step inside one. Welp .... that's the end of that rant.

Best quote of the movie:

You got your rules and we have the gangs' rules, and theirs matter.

Saw the movie a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it. Jaime Lannister was very good in his role.

I do agree with some that Felon was better than Shot Caller but I enjoyed both.

Back