Should an MMA fighters exploits inside the cage count towards belt ranking?

MaxMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Everyone is well aware of the divide that exists currently between sport bjj vs selfdefense/combat bjj. Not sure about where everyone else is from and where you guys train, but in my area we are the only bjj academy that drills about 50/50 between standing and ground techniques, and probably one of only a few academies in the state that does so.

Our curriculum is most defiantly more "combat" oriented in that we value top positions over bottom positions, and we always note, stress, and take striking variables into consideration when showing students new techniques.

I've only trained under 1 instructor that I would consider "sport" oriented and it was under this instructor that I came to the realization that "sport" bjj is now considered the gold standard of "pure" bjj ranking, or at least that's how it was spun when I was training/working with this particular instructor.

My question is this: Should an MMA fighters use of BJJ techniques in a fight be taken into consideration for ranking?

As a brown belt, and an MMA fighter who has used BJJ almost exclusively for fighting I say yes. If a "white belt" uses the arena of MMA to demonstrate and prove his true level and knowledge of bjj, why shouldn't these displays of bjj be taken into consideration for ranking purposes?

In this day and age it's rare for even amateur MMA fighters to have limited submission grappling experience. If someone is finishing professional fights with bjj techniques how is that any different that someone using bjj to finish bjj matches?

Are you saying taken into consideration? Or exclusively?

Taken into consideration.

Of course taken into consideration.

As long as the fighter uses BJJ to gain any advantage, that demonstrates tremendous skill in such a hostile environment even if the opponent isn’t using any BJJ, which is almost next to impossible to find since 99% of MMA guys have some grappling knowledge.

Last edited:
It should be, but the opponents skill level should also be taken into consideration. Submitting Renzo Gracie is much different than submitting Shannon Ritch.

It should be, but the opponents skill level should also be taken into consideration. Submitting Renzo Gracie is much different than submitting Shannon Ritch.

I’d say submitting Renzo Gracie is too tall an order. Submitting any modern MMA fighter is more than enough for brownie points, lol

Hell yeah. If you can use your jiu jitsu while your opponent is striking you, you could argue your jiu jitsu is even more effective. But like someone mentioned above, also depends on your opponent.

Our curriculum is most defiantly more "combat" oriented in that we value top positions over bottom positions, and we always note, stress, and take striking variables into consideration when showing students new techniques.
Who is trying to stop you guys from being combat oriented?

MMA skills should be part of the equation, absolutely.

It is, unfortunately in my opinion, more rare that jiu-jitsu schools have an MMA element these days. When I started training, the serious students competed in both MMA and grappling. The rise of academy-as-business has changed that dynamic.
I won't say that's a bad thing; the sport has grown exponentially. But there is now a positive feedback loop that creates this idea of sport BJJ being the best measure of skill. I say bless up and just train, but I'm happy to still be training with a team that competes across the different rulesets. Now get off my lawn.

Back