Should coaches be held more accountable for there fighters health?

KootenayKid

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I caught a few minutes of Joe Rogan's podcast with Kevin Lee, and Lee made what I thought was a good point. Basically what he said was referees take a lot of flack when it comes to stopping fights, but it's the coaches who should know when there fighter is truly out of it. Whether it be in between rounds or mid fight, the coaches know there training habits and how they react in specific situations.

Of course there is the competitive nature of pushing your fighter, but Lee also made the observation that Barbosa's coaches were making him panic even more with such a strict coaching style, and I believe him, Barbosa has taken a beating lately. Some of the old school mentality doesn't work, and coaches should accept when there fighter is done. I've never really seen the towel thrown in the UFC but I know the refs have too much pressure to make these decisions, while we can sit back and critique every aspect of it.

I would say I'm of a more uninformed opinion though, what do you guys think? I'm curious also, is there examples of times coaches have thrown in the towel in the UFC?

Edmond should have thrown in the towel

It will still fall onto the referee to make decisions concerning a fighter's health. It would be great if trainers and coaches made more honest assessments during their fights and ended them earlier to prevent unnecessary damage, but I just don't think it's realistic to expect them to due to the pay structure of the sport, the personal relationships they have with their fighters coupled with an intense desire to win.

of course, it gives the fighter a way out while maintaining his health and his ego

Nope. Fighters should know when to call it quits.

Edson almost decapitated lee in the third round you can never count him out

I caught a few minutes of Joe Rogan's podcast with Kevin Lee, and Lee made what I thought was a good point. Basically what he said was referees take a lot of flack when it comes to stopping fights, but it's the coaches who should know when there fighter is truly out of it. Whether it be in between rounds or mid fight, the coaches know there training habits and how they react in specific situations.

Of course there is the competitive nature of pushing your fighter, but Lee also made the observation that Barbosa's coaches were making him panic even more with such a strict coaching style, and I believe him, Barbosa has taken a beating lately. Some of the old school mentality doesn't work, and coaches should accept when there fighter is done. I've never really seen the towel thrown in the UFC but I know the refs have too much pressure to make these decisions, while we can sit back and critique every aspect of it.

I would say I'm of a more uninformed opinion though, what do you guys think? I'm curious also, is there examples of times coaches have thrown in the towel in the UFC?
*their fighters'

Nope. Fighters should know when to call it quits.

He doesn't mean to retire tough guy. He means they should stop the fight when their fighter is outmatched and getting mauled

I've never really seen the towel thrown in the UFC but I know the refs have too much pressure to make these decisions, while we can sit back and critique every aspect of it.

Parillo called off the fight with GSP after 4 rounds.

8B9Enge6ftsNlLYXR6zddaN1RAYDBGvRTx9UhM2bfNmEnoDGapxSi3dzYLxVxatvc6czNWCw=s0-d

Something particularly derpy when people use "there" in this way.

It would take a cultural shift for this to happen, but it should 100% happen if the guy is just a punching bag waiting to be KO'd but is still "intelligently defending himself."

Save the fighters their long term health, nothing's gained by knocking someone unconscious who has already lost.

Lauzon' corner and Penn in GSP 1 were all fine by me.

The fighters have to be tough to get in there and have a never quit attitude, but their corner should be emboldened to throw in the towel.

i would argue that an accountabilibuddy can only do so much. see this educational video on the topic

Actually it is the fighters that should know before physical signs are shown. The signs being out or not intelligently defending themselves.
It is not about not taking a beating.
Take some fucking personal responsibility.

Ruan potts said very clearly im done to his corner they threw him back it their to get KO by blackbeast
mean

In this way...? Ohhh you mean incorrectly.

Thank you Homer, I appreciate the contructive comment.
LOL, seriously though, I think they should be. We don't see the towel thrown in nearly enough. Sometimes you have to save people from themselves.

Back