Should D's help R's to fix flawed Tax Bill?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by woodguyatl, Mar 12, 2018.

1. woodguyatl

woodguyatl Purple Belt

The recent Republican tax bill has a number of serious flaws. In order to fix them, the Republicans need help from Democrats because although the original bill was passed through reconciliation which requires 51 votes whereas the corrections will require 60 votes, which the R's do not have. The ObamaCare bill had similar issues and the R's refused to help the D's make the corrections and instead argued against some of the corrections all the way to the SCOTUS.

Should the D's take the high road and just concede and make the changes? Should they demand something in return like reinstatement of ability write off local taxes? Do the R's have the energy and will to really tackle the issue or are they moving on?

I think the D's should take the high road. I think the R's acted terribly on the Obamacare technical corrections (like the R's now want to make to the tax bill) and on the Garland nomination, but at some point one of the parties needs to take the lead on making government function and I think D's should start with helping the R's on this one.

Hera are a few of the issues with the current bill.

For instance:

Incentives for farmers to sell grain to co-ops is so high that independent silos are likely to go out of business.

"In a statement, Ibach urged Congress to level the playing field. “The aim of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act was to spur economic growth across the entire American economy, including in the agricultural sector,” he said. “While the goal was to preserve benefits in Section 199A for cooperatives and their patrons, the unintended consequences of the current language disadvantage the independent operators in the same industry. We applaud Congress for acknowledging and moving to correct the disparity, and our expectation is that a solution is forthcoming.”

“The federal tax code should not pick winners and losers in the marketplace.” The statement was part of a release today from USDA Under Secretary for Marketing and Regulatory Programs Greg Ibach, but that is exactly what changes to Section 199A in the new tax law do, creating a significant tax advantage for co-ops."

"The conservative Tax Foundation said that the flaw should be addressed quickly, saying that, if left in place, “the deduction would allow some farmers to effectively become tax-exempt.”

Leaders of independent grain companies from Oklahoma, Minnesota and South Dakota traveled to Washington in late February to make their case to lawmakers that a fix was urgently needed, warning that businesses like theirs could collapse or be sold."

https://www.agrimarketing.com/s/114651
    https://www.agweb.com/article/usda-wants-fix-to-tax-bill-preference-for-co-ops/
    https://www.agri-pulse.com/articles/10481-grain-elevators-desperate-for-tax-bill-fix

And

"A typo in another section prevents developers from fully deducting expenses from commercial real estate improvements like remodeling for 39 years, instead of immediately, as was the plan."

And

"... a lack of clarity could allow hedge funds and private equity firms to sidestep a provision that would prevent them from counting earnings from their investments as capital gains instead of income—commonly known as the “carried interest” loophole, as capital gains are taxed at a lower rate than income—unless they held the investments for at least three years. The law exempts corporations from this rule but doesn’t specify what kind of corporations, leading hedge fund managers to rush to Delaware to create LLCs to duck the new restriction."

More reading.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2018/...-Errors-Uncertainty-and-Opportunity-Democrats

Swing likes this.
  2. bobgeese

bobgeese Yellow Card Yellow Card

Of course.

milliniar likes this.
  3. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

They should be working together

Torrid and milliniar like this.
  4. Swing

Swing Purple Belt

I'd like to say yes, but if they did it would likely just embolden Republicans to push stuff through in an equally slipshod manner in the future. They could have taken the necessary time to make sure this was all properly thought through, but they chose to get it passed without even giving everyone proper time to read it. It's their own fault. It seems like a bad situation, but I don't think playing ball will prevent Republicans from being equally reckless later.

Sounds like a mess.

5. Quequeg

Quequeg Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

You Republicans actually expect cooperation from the Democrats after the crap they have pulled?

6. RerouteToRemain

RerouteToRemain Silver Belt

They should always be working together and that is what they were hired to do.

7. Falsedawn

Falsedawn Mansa Platinum Member

Yep. You gotta finish the shit sandwich to go home, and you really don't want to take a bite. And there's no guarantee that there's not gonna be a shit sandwich waiting for you when you get home.

8. woodguyatl

woodguyatl Purple Belt

You're new, so you may not know that I while I consider myself a moderate, many on this forum will consider me liberal and nobody will consider me a Republican.

9. woodguyatl

woodguyatl Purple Belt

I think you'll say yes, but did the R's have it wrong when refusing to help the D's with "technical fixes" to Obamacare?

10. curryjunkie

curryjunkie mixed marital arts...

nah, they own that shit.

Prime Rib likes this.
  11. bobgeese

bobgeese Yellow Card Yellow Card

Republicans damaged the country by being against everything obama did.

That being said, Obamacare was designed to fail so Hillary could implement single payer.

It was her turn...

12. Fluffernutter

Fluffernutter Black Belt

The two parties should stop seeing each other as enemies.

Lowmanproblems likes this.
  13. cincymma79

cincymma79 Silver Belt

They don’t. This is theater

14. Warlord Palis

Warlord Palis ♔ Lord of Jameson

You got experience with shit sandwiches?

15. hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87 Gold Belt

Oh yes, Hilary Clinton, who in 1993 pissed away 20 years of Democratic work towards a universal healthcare system and gave us the HMO racket, she was trying to implement single payer. Get the fuck outta here.

16. cincymma79

cincymma79 Silver Belt

Universal healthcare is neat and all but the government sucks. I’ve had government healthcare and I’m not a fan. I have it now but pay for proper insurance. So I guess if it can be done for 1-2 percent more taxes then fine let people buy Medicaid. Just know it will be ran as efficiently as any street car or construction project you’ve seen brought to us by the government.

17. Prutfis

Prutfis Master of pups

You could do it with the funds already being spent. Despite having a shitty 3rd world healthcare system your government still spends much more pr capita than countries with universal, and get much worse results.

18. Neph

Neph Purple Belt

Political point scoring > progress.

It's the same the whole world over.

Lowmanproblems likes this.
  19. cincymma79

cincymma79 Silver Belt

Same with education. What would make you think this would be different? I’m telling you sign up for the service and get back with me on how great the care is. You’re going to get that

20. ShoelessRye

ShoelessRye Gold Belt

Trade tax scam "fixes" for ACA fixes. Seems easy enough.

woodguyatl likes this.