Should I buy a Concept 2 rower or a quality air bike?

HatchetHarry

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I only have room for one in my garage gym. I’m debating on either a concept 2 rower or a Xebex air bike. They are both priced similarly. I do a push pull legs routine and HIIT with either battle ropes, jump rope, kettlebells, or sprints. I’m leaning towards the rower because it gives a nice full body workout but my friend is pushing me towards an assault or xebex bike. I train for overall athleticism and to stay lean.

My home gym consists of a rogue SMl-2 half rack, barbell, Swiss bar, trap bar, 400lbs of weight, iron master 120lb adjust dumbells, Rogue rubber bands, some kettlebells, ghata macebell, titan press, land mine, and some other random stuff.

Oooh tough choice bro. In my opinion you can achieve better LSD workouts (e.g. 10km or 60 min) on a concept 2 than an assault bike, but also do high intensity intervals while the bike is only better for high intensity stuff. Sounds like a sweet home gym you've got.

Oooh tough choice bro. In my opinion you can achieve better LSD workouts (e.g. 10km or 60 min) on a concept 2 than an assault bike, but also do high intensity intervals while the bike is only better for high intensity stuff. Sounds like a sweet home gym you've got.

Just ordered a black Model D Rower from Amazon. $1k after tax, free 2 day shipping.

I think it’s going to help my fitness a lot. I am often too tired to lift after 14 hour work days but I think I can manage a quick 5k row.

The airbike is better for hanging laundry while the rower has more serial killer type applications. I sense the 2nd for you.

think the rower engages more muscle than the airdyne. also, (from what i understand) i read the rower works your legs in a full/complete ROM.

you can "push" AND pull on the bike as opposed to only pulling on the rower.

it's possible to cycle/circuit BOTH of these into an LSD routine. 10 minutes on my airdyne, 15 minutes on my c2, and 20 minutes on my ghetto-rigged skiERG thing. 2 cycles totaling 90 minutes. my RHR has dipped to 53 bpm, at one point in time.

Rowers really hurt my back

Obviously it' my technique but I dislike them

The quality of the Concept 2 is unbelievable. Some people say they are expensive but man for $1k this thing was a steal. I put it together in under 5 minutes.

Just did shoulders then a 5k on the rower and it killed me. My time was 28 minutes which blows but my endurance just isn’t there right now. Going to work on my form some and try to get some competitive times on this

I think you should of bought of this instead.

The quality of the Concept 2 is unbelievable. Some people say they are expensive but man for $1k this thing was a steal. I put it together in under 5 minutes.

Just did shoulders then a 5k on the rower and it killed me. My time was 28 minutes which blows but my endurance just isn’t there right now. Going to work on my form some and try to get some competitive times on this

I've had one sitting in my Amazon cart for 2 years. I love the concept two, especially for HIIT. Might just have to pull the trigger.

I've had one sitting in my Amazon cart for 2 years. I love the concept two, especially for HIIT. Might just have to pull the trigger.

Take the plunge. Rowing is fucking hard

I am trying to work on my form. I’m having trouble not raising my feels too much

Older Airdynes are really cheap on Craigslist. They don't have the modern computers on them, but they give you just as good of a workout and are really well built.

They also have a pretty small footprint.

Have 30k on the rower so far. I have been doing 5ks and my best time is 22:13 so far. This thing is really amazing when I come back from a 14 hour workday at the hospital+commute. I can manage a 5k rowing session before I wind down for the night and I am already seeing results. I was 94.2kg on scale last week and I was 92.9 this morning.

Since just after Xmas I've been trying to get row work in as a warm up.
Last time I was consistent I was at 8k averaging 1 min 50.3 per 500m.

As a warm up, it is a bit of a killer.

Have a look at my log for my current drum beat.

You could also set a bicycle on a stationary trainer. Nice thing is that you can fold it up and put everything away when you're done.
71fRFBJY38L._SX425_.jpg

Concept 2 might be my favorite purchase ever. I already have 350k meters on it. I have been doing 2k HIIT after lifting 3x a week and doing 10k light rows on most off days. I was 205 lbs when I stared and am 188 now.

Concept 2 might be my favorite purchase ever. I already have 350k meters on it. I have been doing 2k HIIT after lifting 3x a week and doing 10k light rows on most off days. I was 205 lbs when I stared and am 188 now.
Awesome work.

I had the same dilema a couple months back. Shift work/12 hour rotating shifts really takes a toll on me getting to the gym, especially for cardio/conditioning. I wanted the rower but my back tends to get cramped up after a while so I went with an old school Airdyne.

Both are amazingly effective machines.

Awesome work.

I had the same dilema a couple months back. Shift work/12 hour rotating shifts really takes a toll on me getting to the gym, especially for cardio/conditioning. I wanted the rower but my back tends to get cramped up after a while so I went with an old school Airdyne.

Both are amazingly effective machines.

I do 12 hour shifts and commute 45 min to and from work. I don’t usually feel like lifting after work but I have been doing lots of light 10k rows on workdays. It usually takes 48-52 minutes and the machine says I burn like 550 calories.

I’m finishing up my home gym next month and might get an air bike to add to my setup.

Back