Should I move to the USA? (Northern California)

Katsumi Yamada

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Need a bit of advice. I'm thinking about moving to California, USA to work.

The salary seems good compared to what I'm making now. Maybe $90k+ basic salary. The job is in Santa Clara, which from google looks like part of San Jose??

I'm originally from England, holding Irish and UK citizenship. I've been living in Singapore most of my adult life, 7+ yrs, I'm newly married.

My question is not about jobs and work related stuff, but more on lifestyle....is it a good place to live? Is it affordable with that kind of salary to support a couple?

What do you feel think would be the challenges of moving to California USA after living in UK/Ireland/Singapore?

Thanks so much for your advice.

P.s. I have never been to the USA before.

I'd highly suggest starting out somewhere with a cheaper cost of living

90+k isn't going to go very far there.

unless your wife will have a similarly paying job

in which case

180k isn't going to go very far there.

90k in houston, you'd do ok - also we can have guns here.

I'd highly suggest starting out somewhere with a cheaper cost of living

Ok, like where?

I live now in the world's most expensive city (apparently), where a private 1br apartment starts at $700k and 5 door cars at $100k.

That's partly why I want to move to USA to be honest.

I can't save much money here supporting a housewife

You might be able to buy a condo or a double-wide with that income. Housing in Silicon Valley is fucking ridiculous.

You’d be better off with two incomes.

What do you do for a living? There are a lot of other places to work, even in the tech biz.

90+k isn't going to go very far there.

unless your wife will have a similarly paying job

in which case

180k isn't going to go very far there.
I would not really want to settle in USA. Just to save money for a few years and GTFO.
So you are saying it's not feasible? :(

Ok, like where?

I live now in the world's most expensive city (apparently), where a private 1br apartment starts at $700k and 5 door cars at $100k.

I can't save much money here supporting a housewife
whats a five door car?

You'd make more not working in California

Perhaps consider moving to Vegas? One of my friend's friend moved there last year (he recently bought a house there too apparently). The rent for his apartment at the time was like around $620 or $720 & he was like 10 minutes from the strip (he has his own business btw). Seems like the cost of living there is super cheap compared to anywhere in California (or living in any other big city in the US).

whats a five door car?

1 door to access the driver's seat
1 door to access the front passengers seat
2 doors for access to the backseats (1 on the left hand side and one on the right hand side)
1 door to access the storage compartment at the rear (trunk/boot)

=5

Ok, like where?

Well I've only ever lived here in the middle of the US. I live in Saint Louis, Missouri. The cost of living here is much cheaper than California. Here you can manage to get by on 40k-50k a year. I'd say once you make over 70k you're living quite comfortably. Obviously there are many variables. I'm sure there are other parts of US that have a cheap cost of living, but I can only speak for where I live.

Sure , if you want to live a life of quiet desperation, competing with your neighbors for material gains that don't mean anything at the end of the day..Yea, come on over..

I would not really want to settle in USA. Just to save money for a few years and GTFO.

Not in California. Especially not if your wife isn't working. Why did you settle for a DNB?

You're moving to the US?

I recommend starting off with the EDC X9

3YvzoJo.jpg

then get an AR platform

8ea7932a0e36d1df0e674b0d5268500c.jpg

You won't be able to save any kind of money on that salary unless you live in a poor ass side of town in Cali and trust me, you don't want to do that.

I used to live close to there and it's awesome. I loved it there. I'd recommend it. And don't let people itt dissuade u because of cost of living. It's crazy expensive, yeah, but u can find nice, affordable housing if u look around enough. It's doable.

1 door to access the driver's seat
1 door to access the front passengers seat
2 doors for access to the backseats (1 on the left hand side and one on the right hand side)
1 door to access the storage compartment at the rear (trunk/boot)

=5
dont call it that if you move here

Back