Should I move to the USA? (Northern California)

$90k a year is enough to live comfortably in most parts of the US if you have no debt or kids.

The Bay Area however, is NOT on that list.

So many hot and very open-minded women in Nor Cal. Live beyond your means for a few years just to experience that.

Hi everyone,

Need a bit of advice. I'm thinking about moving to California, USA to work.

The salary seems good compared to what I'm making now. Maybe $90k+ basic salary. The job is in Santa Clara, which from google looks like part of San Jose??

I'm originally from England, holding Irish and UK citizenship. I've been living in Singapore most of my adult life, 7+ yrs, I'm newly married.

My question is not about jobs and work related stuff, but more on lifestyle....is it a good place to live? Is it affordable with that kind of salary to support a couple?

What do you feel think would be the challenges of moving to California USA after living in UK/Ireland/Singapore?

Thanks so much for your advice.

P.s. I have never been to the USA before.

i was born in oakland, and grew up in the bay area my entire life. i worked in mountain view and now work and live in san francisco in the i.t. industry. i'll give you my personal opinion.

90k/year to support two adults? that's not enough money, especially not in the silicon valley. if your wife is also working, then it's a lot easier. santa clara borders san jose, so yeah it's all very close. it's a great place to live, if you can afford it. it's incredibly diverse, and there are tons of restaurants, scenery, and lots of great places around for weekend trips. the biggest challenges would be making enough money. this area is very international, so i think you'll make a smooth transition coming from a foreign country.

$90k a year is enough to live comfortably in most parts of the US if you have no debt or kids.

The Bay Area however, is NOT on that list.

this is the sad truth. you need to either make way more money, or commute from just outside of the bay area.

Hi everyone,

Need a bit of advice. I'm thinking about moving to California, USA to work.

The salary seems good compared to what I'm making now. Maybe $90k+ basic salary. The job is in Santa Clara, which from google looks like part of San Jose??

I'm originally from England, holding Irish and UK citizenship. I've been living in Singapore most of my adult life, 7+ yrs, I'm newly married.

My question is not about jobs and work related stuff, but more on lifestyle....is it a good place to live? Is it affordable with that kind of salary to support a couple?

What do you feel think would be the challenges of moving to California USA after living in UK/Ireland/Singapore?

Thanks so much for your advice.

P.s. I have never been to the USA before.
I work in San Jose. few things u need to know

Traffic is disgusting

San Jose is fun but can be trashy. a lot of homeless maniacs here

if you have an English accent, pussy will be easy for you

it is expensive to live out here

what do you do for work btw?

90+k isn't going to go very far there.

unless your wife will have a similarly paying job

in which case

180k isn't going to go very far there.

180k between two people is pretty damn good. you won't be rich by any standard, but that is more than enough for a nice apartment between two people in the bay area.

So what do you think...how much is a good salary over there then?

I want to be able to rent a decent apartment in not-a-slum, small is ok.

I want to buy a challenger or mustang or Camaro (one of those cheap fast American cars) and I want to save money.

Not to get into a conversation about work stuff but I feel pretty much overqualified for the position I've been talking about, so maybe I can try to find better paying jobs or negotiate a higher salary.

90k/year is a good salary in the silicon valley if you're living on your own. but to support one other person, that won't be enough. with everything you want to buy, there might not be much left. a decent apartment in a non-slummy area will require a good chunk of your salary. it's too bad you're not on your own.

180k between two people is pretty damn good. you won't be rich by any standard, but that is more than enough for a nice apartment between two people in the bay area.

it was a joke Octo-Eye

Californian, USA you say? Good, I thought you meant California, Colombia.

Bay Area is a joke now; rich people are moving to Washington pacific north west. Silicon Valley and all the google tech hipster wannabes ruined the place.

Also all the Filipinos , Indians is too much to handle you will be furious .

At $90k and what you are asking for is not worth it IMO. Depending on the cost of rent, car payment and lifestyle, you won't be able to save much. What type of field do you work in? If you can make the same amount you'd be better off in Sacramento area like others have mentioned if you want to stay in Northern California. Probably one of the most affordable major city in California when compared to San Francisco, Santa Clara, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, etc. Sac is underrated IMO. $90k is still not much in Sac, but you could probably at least live in a decent place and save much more.

i agree that sacramento is underrated, and a much better place to stretch your money further. it's also situated between two great areas (bay area and the mountains). on the downside, it's that there isn't as much to do in sacramento. the weather can also be really hot, or it can become really cold. that's usually how it works when you're far from a coast. if someone doesn't mind the smaller-city feel, then sac isn't a bad place at all.

Nope. I like big city centers and being able to get by without a car. I lived in a small mountain village as a little kid, and then in high school, and then a ski village after university. It doesn't get any better than that but really do like being in a cosmopolitan city.

The problem with the peninsula in the bay area is that unless you are a student and living on/close to campus, you can't get by without a car. Traffic is becoming intolerable in the valley. It was bad during dot.com 1.0 and then after the bust of 2000 traffic lightened up (no joke). Now it's worse than ever.

if i were moving to the bay area, i would try living as close to a bart or caltrain as possible. the best way to do it in my opinion, is to take public transport during the weekdays, and drive on the weekends.

Californian, USA you say? Good, I thought you meant California, Colombia.
There are 14 places named California in Colombia.

There are 11 places named California in Mexico.

There are 10 places named California in America.

There are 9 places named California in Brazil.

There are 3 places named California in Panama.

There are 3 places named California in Chile.

There are 2 places named California in Philippines.

There are 2 places named California in Cuba.

There is one place named California in Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic of.

There is one place named California in Trinidad and Tobago.

There is one place named California in El Salvador.

There is one place named California in Portugal.

There is one place named California in Peru.

There is one place named California in Nicaragua.

There is one place named California in Jamaica.

There is one place named California in Honduras.

There is one place named California in Guinea-Bissau.

There is one place named California in Guatemala.

There is one place named California in France.

There is one place named California in Costa Rica.

There is one place named California in Bolivia.

I work in San Jose. few things u need to know

Traffic is disgusting

San Jose is fun but can be trashy. a lot of homeless maniacs here

if you have an English accent, pussy will be easy for you

it is expensive to live out here

what do you do for work btw?

Construction industry. I'm a civil engineer.

Bay Area is a joke now; rich people are moving to Washington pacific north west. Silicon Valley and all the google tech hipster wannabes ruined the place.

Also all the Filipinos , Indians is too much to handle you will be furious .

Why are they too much to handle?
Are you a little bit racist bro?

Back