Should knee kicks be legal in mma?

So you think punches to the head sould be banned because people have gotten permanent brain damage/died. Gotcha.

I already explained why comparing eye pokes to an allowed technique is stupid, dumbass.

Fuck you dude. If your too stupid to understand the eye poke comparison theres not much I can do it about that. I already explained why comparing knee stomps to head shots is stupid, dumbass.

Lets compare a banned technique the soccer kick to the head to a allowed tehcnique, a roundhouse kick to the head.

So what your saying is you agree soccer kicks should be banned. So what your really saying is all strikes to the head should be banned because soccer kicks are banned. Gotcha

people get struck in the head more often than they are knee stomped.

Fuck you dude. If your too stupid to understand the eye poke comparison theres not much I can do it about that. I already explained why comparing knee stomps to head shots is stupid, dumbass.

Lets compare a banned technique the soccer kick to the head to a allowed tehcnique, a roundhouse kick to the head.

So what your saying is you agree soccer kicks should be banned. So what your really saying is all strikes to the head should be banned because soccer kicks are banned. Gotcha

people get struck in the head more often than they are knee stomped.
You visibly have too low of an IQ to understand an argument, let alone make one. But that's okay, nobody chooses to be born stupid. Still, might want to stop taking punches to the head, buddy.

You visibly have too low of an IQ to understand an argument, let alone make one. But that's okay, nobody chooses to be born stupid. Still, might want to stop taking punches to the head, buddy.

cool story bro.

You keep being the keyboard warrior you are. ;)

Last edited:
statistics would say wonderboy has been struck in the head more than he has been knee stomped. Statistics would also show that wonderboy has received no serious injury from head strikes, yet has received a serious injury from the knee stomp.

statistics would also be the same for my pro fighter friend who has been struck in the head way more than being knee stomped, and even KO before without suffering any serious injuries, yet has received a serious injury from the knee stomp in sparring!

https://themmacommunity.com/threads/‘wonderboy’-wants-to-ban-side-kicks-to-the-knee-after-tearing-mcl.50168/

IKF Muay Thai has banned the move as well. Luckily the people running MT in the US see it my way as well.

IKF quoted below:
There is NO LOGICAL reason to keep this kick legal. It's very use is to "Break" the leg! This is why we DO NOT allow it in the IKF (ALL STYLES) as well as in our ISCF MMA! Fighters Safety as well as a fighters career MUST be put ahead of Pain, Damage and Punnishment! Thanks for speaking up Wonderboy!

Last edited:
This quote came across my Facebook on this subject. It's a quote from an interview with Mike Winkeljohn, and which I tend to agree with:

upload_2018-6-30_20-14-29.png

they all would work in theory and definitely could work. I just dont see them as realistic. I see it quite hard to pull these off, intentionally, where the knee stomp was recognized and intentionally countered and not mistaken for something else, and the counter just happened to work. Rather than calling this move a oblique kick, lets call it knee stomp, cause thats exactly what it is. knee stomp. When its worded like that, should knee stomps be legal. no way.
i remember an old dude telling me it was the first hand to hand move taught to him when he was in the black beret (NZ special forces). they used to teach that if you didn't break the knee you could always scrape the fuck outta their shins with your gps.

statistics would say wonderboy has been struck in the head more than he has been knee stomped. Statistics would also show that wonderboy has received no serious injury from head strikes, yet has received a serious injury from the knee stomp.

statistics would also be the same for my pro fighter friend who has been struck in the head way more than being knee stomped, and even KO before without suffering any serious injuries, yet has received a serious injury from the knee stomp in sparring!

https://themmacommunity.com/threads/‘wonderboy’-wants-to-ban-side-kicks-to-the-knee-after-tearing-mcl.50168/

IKF Muay Thai has banned the move as well. Luckily the people running MT in the US see it my way as well.

IKF quoted below:
There is NO LOGICAL reason to keep this kick legal. It's very use is to "Break" the leg! This is why we DO NOT allow it in the IKF (ALL STYLES) as well as in our ISCF MMA! Fighters Safety as well as a fighters career MUST be put ahead of Pain, Damage and Punnishment! Thanks for speaking up Wonderboy!
i'm in agreement on this one. i don't really think there is a place for knee stomps, soccer kicks and head butts in a sporting contest. the head butt is by far the most effective weapon that has been banned from mma and everybody seems pretty cool with that.

sarcasm

your missing the point entirely, thats why I used the analogy, because it makes no sense. It wasnt an argument I dont believe myself, it was an analogy to show how stupid the points being argued to keep it legal are. All I did was take the same points everyone says to keep them legal, and applied it to eye gauging, as an analogy. You CAN defend eye gauges, just like you CAN defend this oblique kick. So hooray lets make them legal!

Oblique kicks CAN cause serious injury although there havent been many. Just like the eye gauge CAN cause serious injury, but there hasnt been any!!! therefore making eye gauges safer than knee stomps because there have been no injuries from it!!!! Look how many times jon jones used it. Were any eyes gauged out? nope. So as you can see, the technique has been used extensively in MMA but hasnt created any serious injuries. Therefore its a safe, can easily be defended against, and is a legitimate strike just as any other and should be allowed in MMA because im a tuff guy with a tuff guy mindset and its a fight, a fight is a fight bro, if they dont want their eyes poked out, they shouldnt be fighting! (man i sound tuff)

Blindness is a serious injury. So is a hyperextended knee. Neither of these can be compared to hitting the head. Its ridiculous to bring in getting hit into the head into the argument. Or people saying if we were really worried about the fighters we would remove hits to the head. This is ridiculous to say because you can just keep going and apply that to anything. If we were really worried about the fighters..........they wouldnt be fighting and instead should be replace the hits to the head with kisses. If we were really worried about TKD fighters we should remove kicks! If were really worried about boxers, lets remove punching! Hey maybe boxers should be allowed to try and punch each others knee caps!

If were really worries about MMA fighters, we should remove soccer kicks to the head. Wait a minute, that has been done already, but why? Its a fight right, getting kicked in the head is part of the game. If he didnt wanna get soccer kicked in the head he shouldnt be fighting.

How many "joints have been snapped" by oblique kicks, again? And yes, exactly, you said it: getting kicked and punched are part of the game, that's why eye gauges are legal and there's no reason to ban them. They're a strike like any other and don't cause any more injuries than other strikes. On the contrary, they cause both less AND lesser injuries than strikes to the head. As you can clearly see via Jon Jones, check the statistics, they dont lie! He regularly used the eye poke with no serious injuries, there have been more serious injuries by hits to the head.

we should also allow hair pulling because getting hit in the head is worse than getting your hair pulled. would you rather loose some hair or get brain damage?

The goal behind this oblique kick knee stomp move, is to break the opponents knee. Thats why it should be illegal. It has the potential to cause way to serious of an injury, a career ending injury. Much in the same manner soccer kicks to the head have been removed. Because it can cause too much damage. But hey its a fight right, and kicks/punches to the head are part of the game, so soccer kicks to the head should be legal.

Sure maybe there have been very little to no serious injuries from this move, yet. But that doesnt change the fact that the move is designed to break knees. No a kid that goes and has his first MMA or MT fight, should not potentially get his knee broken and career ended his first fight. Just like he shouldnt get soccer kicked in the head and get brain damage, or get a eye poked out and be blind.

Any strike that is designed to break a limb/joint should be removed. Any strike with the potential to cause serious injury should be removed. Such as brain damaging soccer kicks to the head, and joint breaking knee stomps.

My personal exp, is that most the guys that are for this move are not fighters, and most guys that want it banned are fighters.

if you want some facts heres a fact: Jon Jones used the eye poke in MMA. There have been no serious injuries from it. No eyes have been poked out from it. It can be defended against. There have been more injuries by hits to the head than pokes to the eye.
Not looking to argue, But kinda feel compelled to mention that poking the eye, and temporarily or rarely permanently blinding them , and gouging an eye, sticking your thumb in the tear duct area and ripping their eyeball out of the socket are different things. You probably already know that but your using poke and gouge like they are the same thing.

Not looking to argue, But kinda feel compelled to mention that poking the eye, and temporarily or rarely permanently blinding them , and gouging an eye, sticking your thumb in the tear duct area and ripping their eyeball out of the socket are different things. You probably already know that but your using poke and gouge like they are the same thing.
any attacking of the eyes is a shit thing to do, regardless of the intentions.

i'm in agreement on this one. i don't really think there is a place for knee stomps, soccer kicks and head butts in a sporting contest. the head butt is by far the most effective weapon that has been banned from mma and everybody seems pretty cool with that.

yeah man headbutts are brutal, its a quite effective technique. So is the head stomp. I dont buy into the argument of, well hes trying to take my head off so I should be able to break his knees. You can apply that to anything, well hes trying to take my head off so i should be able to stab him. The argument of well if your that worried about fighters safety lets remove punches to the head or whatever is nonsense as well. You cant remove strikes to the head from a combat sport. Unless its something very dangerous, like head stomps, knee stomps, and head butts. Another analogy I can use is in the sport of hockey(i used to play ice hockey), checking is legal, however cross checking is not. as you can see here, much like the knee stomp, its just a dirty move in the game which is why fights break out after cross checks. "well if your so concerned about their safety, lets just remove checking all together" durpa dee durp durp.

touche'

This quote came across my Facebook on this subject. It's a quote from an interview with Mike Winkeljohn, and which I tend to agree with:

View attachment 399947

total bullshit argument though, I rather have my knee broken and be limping in than have a fighter who cant remember his name because he couldnt stop striking advances. The technique is very difficult to defend against, unlike strikes to the head, such as the jab or cross for example. And all the counters to the move that have been displayed, were unintentional. Dude could also be trying to CYA for having his guys do it. He lets allow biting, i see biting as far less dangerous than strikes to the head. I rather have dinner with a fighter who is missing a finger or two that was bitten off than a fighter that cant remember his own name.

any attacking of the eyes is a shit thing to do, regardless of the intentions.

any attacking of the knee with the intention of breaking it is a shit thing to do.

I know you agree, just thought id throw this out there.

any attacking of the knee with the intention of breaking it is a shit thing to do.

I know you agree, just thought id throw this out there.
it's just not sporting as far as i see it. it's about the same a going palahares on someone.

he's the dude they banned from ufc because he was ripping peoples legs apart after they tapped.

i see, i had no idea who he was or that was even happening. MMA tends to attract douches, like that guy for example. Hop into the MMA/UFC discussion of sherdog and it will further prove my douche point.

Back