Opinion Should they ban assault weapons?

Should they ban assault weapons?

• Total voters
which is why i went on to say more than that, giving an example.

Which, as pointed out by Viva, isn't really analogous in any meaningful way. Whereas we can look at countless laws being placed on the books (starting with the NFA) and see that the problem has not been solved and the demand to add more laws is currently at a feverish pitch.

OK. That's better. I think at least 70% of the military would side with the citizens.
You're likely right about that. The fine line is how far can legislation chipping away at the 2nd go before it would come to such a point. There is a line and it might not be the scorched earth of total confiscation.

You're talking about this fantasy where you gun nerds are fighting the US government to keep their guns.

That would be a war of survival for you. We will cut off your lines of supply and wait for you to starve. You have no means of production nor do you have the raw materials to subsist. No one is going to bring you ammunition pouches.

This isn't Battlefield or Call of Duty. Ivan isn't going to come with the supply drop and save you at the last minute. Your weapons will fail on you before we even have to start making new ones.

This is just not accurate. History and military science simply does not support your position.

This is my point as well, but from a different perspective. Personal gun ownership will be worthless in an open insurrection against the US Government. Unless most of the military sides with civilians, we're fucked. Also, even though I hate our police being so overly militarized, I think they would most likely side with the people, thereby giving all municipalities a nice weapons cache to use.

The idea that the 2nd is what keeps us free in this day and age is ridiculous.

Look at Mexico. What is just as likely is the government giving up because it is inept and corrupt. There are whole towns that use small arms to keep the cartels at bay because the government simply will do nothing. @Rod1 do you have any thoughts on this

This is just not accurate. History and military science simply does not support your position.

Who is going to supply you with weapons when you're fighting the supplier?

History in modern conflict has shown us one thing, the US MIC reigns supreme over all comers if it has the necessary desire.

I think their own survival would motivate them more than it would motivate you.

Who is going to supply you with weapons when you're fighting the supplier?

History in modern conflict has shown us one thing, the US MIC reigns supreme over all comers if it has the necessary desire.

I think their own survival would motivate them more than it would motivate you.

I don't think you understand how many guns already exist in this country. There is no need to resupply but even if there was there would be a lot of disent in the military. I know my 22 year old self would be highly uncomfortable shooting us civilians and likely would have passed on supplies in a massive uprising and most in the unit felt the same and yes this is something we did talk about. Remember its going to be vets that would be doing the uprising and they would need a really good reason. Actually one of the guys already started the revolution from my unit
I served with Ritz who was up at the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. Not really relevant but this thread made me think of him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Ritzheimer

Look at Mexico. What is just as likely is the government giving up because it is inept and corrupt. There are whole towns that use small arms to keep the cartels at bay because the government simply will do nothing. @Rod1 do you have any thoughts on this

I think it's ridiculous to compare Mexico with the US. Our government functionality is so much higher, and our infrastructure so much more robust, that it leaves any comparisons of this nature without merit.

I don't think you understand how many guns already exist in this country. There is no need to resupply but even if there was there would be a lot of disent in the military. I know my 22 year old self would be highly uncomfortable shooting us civilians and likely would have passed on supplies in a massive uprising and most in the unit felt the same and yes this is something we did talk about. Remember its going to be vets that would be doing the uprising and they would need a really good reason. Actually one of the guys already started the revolution from my unit
I served with Ritz who was up at the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. Not really relevant but this thread made me think of him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Ritzheimer

I understand that there are millions of guns, and plenty of ammo, but that's not enough to win a war of survival against a determined and better equipped adversary with supreme logistics control and relatively unlimited resources.

Just ask the Confederates how that worked and they actually had some foreign support.

Do you think anyone is going to send you care packages like the Brits did?

I think it's ridiculous to compare Mexico with the US. Our government functionality is so much higher, and our infrastructure so much more robust, that it leaves any comparisons of this nature without merit.

I don';t think anyone in this thread is even suggesting that today is the day to take up arms. Presumably America would have deteriorated a bit prior to people wanting to take up arms.

Our population's capabilities increase as well...

No. The term "assault weapon" is for morons in the first place.

Secondly, it will make no difference as they are a fraction of the gun murders in America. Georgia Tech proved all you need is a handgun to be a freakshow asshole.

I don';t think anyone in this thread is even suggesting that today is the day to take up arms. Presumably America would have deteriorated a bit prior to people wanting to take up arms.

I could make the moral justification for it. It has't just happened, because no one's hungry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back