Should UFC adopt One FC's weight cutting policy?

I kind of think it is broken. Or at least that it works very poorly. Everyone loses in the current weight cutting system. The org has to cancel fights for tiramisu related injuries. The fighters unnecessarily put themselves through hell. And fans get to see fighters at less than their best. And the entire goal of it is for a welterweight to be able to fight lightweights, etc, which is lame.
It is not required to cut weight, it is optional. 4 or 5 times guys have a bad cut a year out of over thousand fights in the UFC. Non issue.

It is not required to cut weight, it is optional.

It is not really optional if a fighter wants to be competitive. Imagine someone only cutting 5lbs
getting in the ring with Darren Till or James Vick or Tony Ferguson.

Just have the weigh ins on the same day as the fight

Anybody cutting too much weight won't have recovered and will lose so will be forced to move up to their natural division

It is not really optional if a fighter wants to be competitive. Imagine someone only cutting 5lbs
getting in the ring with Darren Till or James Vick or Tony Ferguson.
You think 5-10 pounds is going to make a huge difference. RDA is have success not cutting as much. Frankie was a champ, tj doesn't cut much champ, dj champ, Val should have been champ, rose cuts 5 or less and is champ.
If that little of a weight difference, every he champ would be the 270-280 pound guys cutting to 265.

It is not required to cut weight, it is optional. 4 or 5 times guys have a bad cut a year out of over thousand fights in the UFC. Non issue.
I think this is a very naive viewpoint. People dehydrate themselves because it provides them with a large weight advantage over guys who don't cut weight. So while the option remains to not cut water weight, it's a very bad option if it means that your opponent will outweigh on average by twenty pounds or more.

The thing is that the advantage gained is minimal when everyone cuts, but even leaving aside the fights that are ruined, the fans get to see two fighters with much less cardio than they would otherwise have.

Half the reason some fans find it easy to criticize the athleticism of MMA fighters is because we almost never see them perform athletically in peak condition.

I can appreciate your view that this isn't the apocalypse, because we live in a world where the sky is always falling somewhere. But it is an issue, not a non-issue.

I think this is a very naive viewpoint. People dehydrate themselves because it provides them with a large weight advantage over guys who don't cut weight. So while the option remains to not cut water weight, it's a very bad option if it means that your opponent will outweigh on average by twenty pounds or more.

The thing is that the advantage gained is minimal when everyone cuts, but even leaving aside the fights that are ruined, the fans get to see two fighters with much less cardio than they would otherwise have.

Half the reason some fans find it easy to criticize the athleticism of MMA fighters is because we almost never see them perform athletically in peak condition.

I can appreciate your view that this isn't the apocalypse, because we live in a world where the sky is always falling somewhere. But it is an issue, not a non-issue.
You're wrong. Nobody out side of HW is going to have a 20 pound weight advantage. You read too much sherdog. An extreme weight cut they might be pushing cutting close to 20 pounds but that isn't going to be an advantage, they fucked up and with the Iv ban they are going to not perform to their best ability. New nutritionists are also available and they are getting fighters on weight with minimum dehydration

How about they just weigh in at the beginning of the show.

This weight cutting is such a non issue

Are fighters missing weight left n right n have permanent side effects due to weight cutting?

Big majority of fighters don’t have issues with their weight cuts, so why make a change?

I think it should be same day weigh ins like in the ammy circuit except pay them enough to really give them a lot of incentive to make weight. If i knew I was an unknown and would lose 60K dollars I would make sure I made weight.

No you wouldn’t because you would be the same kind of stupid that would think you’ll be fine. Lots of top level highly paid fighters have fucked up. I e towel cheat Cormier.

Just put a scale right aside of the cage entrance and we'd be fine, is it that hard?

If a guy misses weight too much he's DQ and in deep trouble.

You think 5-10 pounds is going to make a huge difference. RDA is have success not cutting as much. Frankie was a champ, tj doesn't cut much champ, dj champ, Val should have been champ, rose cuts 5 or less and is champ.
If that little of a weight difference, every he champ would be the 270-280 pound guys cutting to 265.
...said the guy who never fought anyone, not even in the same weight..

...said the guy who never fought anyone, not even in the same weight..
I fought at welterweight, fight guys bigger and smaller and the side was never an issue, the skill is. Get off your ass and go train and you'll see size isn't the biggest factor

200w.webp

200w.webp

200w.webp

200w.webp

I fought at welterweight, fight guys bigger and smaller and the side was never an issue, the skill is. Get off your ass and go train and you'll see size isn't the biggest factor
By this logic, Demetrious Johnson should fight Stipe Miocic and it should be a competitive fight, since DJ is one of the most skilled fighters on the planet.

I like DJ and all, but get real. Size matters.

Yeah, we totally believe you, I bet you're McGregor in persona, just trying to hide from the wife. And the press. Aand Khabib. Aaaand Ferguson.

Sorry to blow your cover, Connie

RDA has yet to fight against a grappler at Welterweight, which is where the pounds make the difference. Frankie now fights at Featherweight because of the size disadvantage he had at Lightweight. Dillashaw cuts 10 lbs (according to him, but who knows if he's lying given he's trying to convince everyone that he can fight at Flyweight, which I'm skeptical of). DJ cuts 15 lbs and had a size disadvantage at Bantamweight. Shevchenko had a strength and power disadvantage at Bantamweight, her speed and technique compensated for it. As big a fan as I am of Rose, she just won the title and has a lot to prove moving forward.

Back