Should UFC focus on one mega card a year with Conor or 3 500k buy cards?

Conor gets paid more than the top fighters on those 4 400k cards combined, plus he has a bigger payperview cut.

UFC is literally better off without Conor.
Production costs and fixed costs..

Nobody can do 500 besides maybe Brock and I don't know his numbers when he's not on a stacked Card. Jones has to fight D.C. ..or maybe Gus to get that and Ronda's gone. There is no way to pay everybody if you put all the champs on one card.

I can’t really think of any other matchups that could even headline a 500k card at this point. Gsp vs dc for lhw belt?? Anthony Joshua vs Chuck Liddell??

Since Conor pulls up to 1.5 m buys. That's like half a year of cards.

who cares about the ppv buys not all ppvs are gone get 1.5 each

who did ufc fans blame before the ufc sale when the numbers on dj fights were trash

Just posting in another Conor thread. See you in next one fellas.

I like the idea of having one mega card per year. Something like:

Conor vs Khabib
Brock vs DC
GSP vs Woodley
Holloway vs Ortega
TJ vs Cruz 2

Prelims:
Zabit vs Yair Rodriquez
Korean Zombie vs Swanson
Gaethje vs Lee
Lawler vs Perry

This would mean a men's title wouldn't get defended for a while but it would sell well.

or have gsp on it own card that sells big and dc vs brock on it own and get 1 million plus and conor vs klhabib that gets 1.5 instead of all on one card that get 1.5 itself.

Hilarious what the UFC has boiled down to.

I am a fight fan, an actual fight fan. I want to see good fights, wars. I don't give a flying fuck about name value and how much PPV sales it does or who the "Star" is.

The UFC has become a fucking Kardashian level show, it's embarrassing.

Why are these the only options?

Fuck your framework

or just hope they are blessed with three Mcgregor fights a year... then continue to put on garbage the rest of the time...

aww you think conor would get main billing over brock, thats cute.
Yeah the guy having the 4 highest selling MMA related PPVs of all time as well as the second highest boxing PPV of all time over the next biggest draw is me being cute Lmao. I'm not a fan of either of them so it doesn't worry me which one headlined but going with the bigger draw makes more sense.

or have gsp on it own card that sells big and dc vs brock on it own and get 1 million plus and conor vs klhabib that gets 1.5 instead of all on one card that get 1.5 itself.
Yeah either way is fine. What I don't like though is these fight night type cards being billed as PPVs. A lot of us long time fans have put up with a steady decline in quality since UFC started trying to appeal to a wider audience. I would rather pay good money to watch one quality card per year than watch these half ass so-called PPVs they've been giving us for the last couple of years.

Make the champs defend against challengers. That's a must going forward. Either you defend or you lose it, and quick. The ppv model is dead and the ufc will go to a wwe subscription model at some point built on their fight pass platform...

First of all 500k in 2018 is already more or less a "mega card", no one outside of Conor, Brock and GSP can draw those numbers, we're talking 150--300k range for regular PPVs, let's say 200k is the average, then 1 Conor 1.5 million PPV is more like 7 regular PPVs, and it costs less to produce 1 Conor PPV than 7 regular PPVs, so the profit margin will be higher.

Conclusion: focus on Conor and the big stars is the $$$ way.
I think UFC's PPV numbers rise and fall with a high/low tide. When all these people tune in for a mega card, they get UFC fever and are more prone to tune in shortly after. Ufc 189 was the best card I've ever seen, and the next card, 190, sold like double more than any previous Ronda card and was followed by cards that routinely out performed expectations. I think UFC looking to stack October (Conor), November (Diaz possibly Jones) and apparently December (rumored GSP) and January too (Brock), is there way of trying to rejuvenate interest for what is surely their worst year in a long time.

Give me a card like 217 Linus Conor and i will GLADLY give the UFC 75 bucks.

Yeah either way is fine. What I don't like though is these fight night type cards being billed as PPVs. A lot of us long time fans have put up with a steady decline in quality since UFC started trying to appeal to a wider audience. I would rather pay good money to watch one quality card per year than watch these half ass so-called PPVs they've been giving us for the last couple of years.

ifu don't want to watch fight night cards than don't turn it to fs1 on thiose nights.

Focusing on star power is short-sighted. Match-ups are what make cards great. For the long money, match-ups should be the focus.

Since Conor pulls up to 1.5 m buys. That's like half a year of cards.
Why does it have to be either or..

They can do both actually. Conor is one fighter, and I am sure the UFC can stack many cards without him. Conor’s pull doesn’t hurt tho

If they could manufacture more Conors, they would.

UFC has too many fighters to do a couple stacked cards a year.

It's not like it was 10 or even 5 years ago, just too many people under contract to put on stacked fight cards all the time.

Factor in injuries and other reasons for fights being cancelled...
What they are doing now make sense for their business model.
Couple or 3 big fights then just filler or crowd pleasers.

I buy maybe 2 events a year, no pirate, i just check results.
Being in my 30's, I'm not staying up till 2am for a main event.
By that time I'm either sleeping or too fucked up to give a shit.

Back