Should we be able to decide to if we want to live or die ?( suicide topic)

I agree with what Schopenhauer said:

"They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice; that only a madman could be guilty of it; and other insipidities of the same kind; or else they make the nonsensical remark that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every mail has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person."

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/schopenhauer/arthur/pessimism/chapter3.html

If you don't enjoy the movie, walk out - that's how I see it. I completely understand and hold nothing at all against those that check out on account of not enjoying their stay here.

It's selfish to demand someone stay around and continually endure pain and suffering just so that your emotional state, with regards to their existence, is kept satisfied.

That said, if someone has kids, I think suicide should be out of the question. If you condemn another to a life you yourself despise, you have a responsibility to ride it out for their sake.

Never thought of it that way, but seems like the intention is the difference.
In one case, people are aiming to help others, and their death is an unavoidable consequence.
In the other, their goal is to end their life.

TS, Im not sure if I follow your logic. If we didnt create our life or start it, why should we be in charge of ending it?
That's true, but why is helping others more important than helping yourself? For example, if you give away all your food and money to others, you help them but starve yourself, so is that the correct thing?

I think most people would agree that a certain degree of intrinsic self interest is a basic human quality. Traditionally that's self-preservation, but as a philosophical argument I'm not sure it can't be applied to self-negation as well.

Why do I get the feeling you are already paying for your Sister's bills and providing for her kids right now?

Ha. My parents are still alive so she lives with my mom while my dad raises the kids. She's 38 but never grew up from 15. My parents know it. I think they feel a personal obligation for how she is but she's an intelligent adult she just doesn't act like it. I'm sure when my parents die if the kids are still under 18 they'll live with me. I'm sure my dad will ask me to take care of them. I don't want kids of my own but they are good kids and I'll help them with anything. They are family.

It's your life and you should have the right to end it if you want to. It would be devastating if certain people did it, but I still believe it is an individual's right to decide their own fate.

People should be allowed to die if they want to. However, they should have to do mandatory therapy, drugs included. And to those who are against suicide in any way, let me ask you this. If those people are clearly depressed, and have tried every kind of anti depressant there is, but find happiness if they use heroin or morphine, would you support doctors prescribing those things to them? Because I would. If that is what allows them to function normally, I would support that. But if you’re saying they can’t have any of the drugs that would help them, but also won’t allow them to die, you are essentially condemning them to hell for no reason.

Ha. My parents are still alive so she lives with my mom while my dad raises the kids. She's 38 but never grew up from 15. My parents know it. I think they feel a personal obligation for how she is but she's an intelligent adult she just doesn't act like it. I'm sure when my parents die if the kids are still under 18 they'll live with me. I'm sure my dad will ask me to take care of them. I don't want kids of my own but they are good kids and I'll help them with anything. They are family.

That is very noble of you, that is all I can say well I hope she comes around one day and she realize how being a mother is precious and that she should be one before its too late.

When I left home my mother got depressed and I only live like 3 blocks away she just got used to taking care of me because I am sick all the time.

Once your kids have grown up they are grown up!

Oh well such is life.!

Back