Should You Really Stand To Open The Closed Guard? Plus A Simple Knees Guard Break by Jason Scully

jaysculls

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The hot topic of whether you should open your opponents closed guard from standing or the knees is a continuous one.

In this video I give my opinion on what I think about this subject AND I also give my method of working to open up my opponent’s guard from the knees if that is something I ever choose to do or if someone just refuses to stand to open the guard.

This is a variation that is simple and does not put your in danger if it does not work, which will then allow you the time to work on other alternate methods of opening the closed guard.

Thanks for watching!
Jason Scully

Obviously didn't watch the video.
This is a gi video though... the technique they say you shouldnt do can be effective if you throw in some ground and pound while your leg is standing up.

Last edited:
This is a gi video though... the technique they say you shouldnt do can be effective if you throw in some ground and pound while your leg is standing up.

Also highly effective with swords, and very under appreciated in the light saber fighting circles

a gun is stronger just like no gi jj and mma is stronger than gi jj

Last edited:
a gun is stronger just like no gi jj and mma is stronger than gi jj

In that particular case, opening the guard is way easier in no gi than it is in the gi

I love no gi, but I wouldn't say that it's more easy to do gi, it's very complexe and it as a lot of specific techniques and subs.

I find guns easier in a no gi setting, but not so much an mma setting. What do you think SHAOLINMONK420?

The hot topic of whether you should open your opponents closed guard from standing or the knees is a continuous one.

In this video I give my opinion on what I think about this subject AND I also give my method of working to open up my opponent’s guard from the knees if that is something I ever choose to do or if someone just refuses to stand to open the guard.

This is a variation that is simple and does not put your in danger if it does not work, which will then allow you the time to work on other alternate methods of opening the closed guard.

Thanks for watching!
Jason Scully

I agree with standing and breaking guard all the time . I rather worry about sweeps then all the subs available for my opponent when I'm on my knees.

Why not go for subs from top instead of the 'anal knee' guard opener? Subs from top are higher percentage than that trash technique and they end the fight?

Why not go for subs from top instead of the 'anal knee' guard opener? Subs from top are higher percentage than that trash technique and they end the fight?

Subs from inside of guard? That is a bad idea unless you are much better than your opponent, in which case you could just as easily pass an sub. I love when people try to sub from inside the guard- back take and armbar city. I'm not saying it can't happen- you let a bigger, stronger guy get an ezekial fully locked in it could be trouble- but if you are alert, they are putting themselves in a great deal of danger trying to get in position to do it. I consider subs from inside extremely high risk / low percentage.

Subs from inside of guard? That is a bad idea unless you are much better than your opponent, in which case you could just as easily pass an sub. I love when people try to sub from inside the guard- back take and armbar city. I'm not saying it can't happen- you let a bigger, stronger guy get an ezekial fully locked in it could be trouble- but if you are alert, they are putting themselves in a great deal of danger trying to get in position to do it. I consider subs from inside extremely high risk / low percentage.

They are super low percentage but still better then the knee in opener.

They are super low percentage but still better then the knee in opener.

I’m a huge fan of standing to open/pass. But i don’t even see how there is an argument to be had if you are better off trying to sub your openent from inside their guard vs. opening the guard with knee in.

Even if it’s not part of your game. Opening then knee in is used widely, often, and with a lot of success.

Subbing from inside the guard happens almost never.

I’m a huge fan of standing to open/pass. But i don’t even see how there is an argument to be had if you are better off trying to sub your openent from inside their guard vs. opening the guard with knee in.

Even if it’s not part of your game. Opening then knee in is used widely, often, and with a lot of success.

The knee in opener is not used in even vaguely high/mid level matches ever. It's a zero percentage move against anyone who doesn't suck hard.
Dean Lister has been tapped from a sub from closed top. It's super low percentage but it has been done at least once.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one

Back