SHOULDER EXERCISE: ROTATOR CUFF/LABRUM TEARS

Good exercises for shoulder endurance, but I wouldn't put "labrum tear", or any kind of tear really, in the title mate. Depending on the tear you can definitely aggravate your symptoms especially doing repeated dynamic flexion and abduction above 60 degrees.

Yeah as someone who as torn their labrum, opted out of surgery, gone to PT and made a full recovery. I would advise people with shoulder injuries to completely ignore this video and seek proffesional help as this video is going to hurt you.

Now some constructive critisim.

-If you dont know what you are talking about don't make a video
-if you aren't a doctor dont advise people on torn tendons/ligaments/most any injury
- saying remember do it right and not giving any cues how to "do it right" is useless

you'll be alrite just swim .. do back stroke if you hear clicking or feel pain just use foam weights in the water .. good thing about the shouler is it has many friends( different muscle groups) that are nearby that you can strenghten to work around -the -shoulder

you'll be alrite just swim .. do back stroke if you hear clicking or feel pain just use foam weights in the water .. good thing about the shouler is it has many friends( different muscle groups) that are nearby that you can strenghten to work around -the -shoulder
2003 join date, literally doesn't even look at OP

I tore my rotator cuff years back, none of that shit really worked for me. The only thing that substantially healed my shoulder was stretching, certain yoga positions that build strength in your shoulder when you can't lift (such as a headstand), and most importantly, brachiating. That was what really fixed my shoulder.

I went to physical therapy for mine and kept the regimen in my routine for 2 days a week. Fucking pathetic start. Two pound dumbbells. Struggle bus. But I thought hey it’s my injured arm, so I tried with my good arm and couldn’t do it either. Only saving grace is the good arm was still my left hand and I’m right-handed. I’m up to 10 pound dumbbells now for the routine

I went to physical therapy for mine and kept the regimen in my routine for 2 days a week. Fucking pathetic start. Two pound dumbbells. Struggle bus. But I thought hey it’s my injured arm, so I tried with my good arm and couldn’t do it either. Only saving grace is the good arm was still my left hand and I’m right-handed. I’m up to 10 pound dumbbells now for the routine
Tbh you shouldn't be using heavy dumbells anyway for your rotator cuff so you're probably doing good mate.

Tbh you shouldn't be using heavy dumbells anyway for your rotator cuff so you're probably doing good mate.
I can’t imagine it being possible to get to 20s

Basically I’m practicing for a Circle jerk. Every exercise is jerking off motions except for the staring a lawnmower one

I had a "bucket handle " labrum tear back in 2004. I did everything you could've done back then:
PT
Prolotherapy
Cortisone shot
Course or 2 of nSAIDS
bought a bottle of cissus (this seemed to help with the pain a good bit
etc
I had the surgery scheduled when I found a guy that did Active Release in my area. It was the only thing that really helped. Once he restored balance to the structures and muscles surrounding the shoulder it just got better and better and better over time. I never had the surgery. I really worked at it and have been doing my prehab religiously ever since while also keeping up with the ART and self massage. Low trap and serratus work was extremely helpful. As was doing scaption and neutral grip front raises for very high reps starting with like 2 pound dumbbells. People will tell you a labrum tear must be operated on but that's bullshit.

I've seen a video where they use stretch resistance bands, but I was wondering if you had a metal wire shelf, could you go to the hardware store and buy some paracord, metal carbiner, and a pulley and make you own light weight rehab equipment.

EDIT:
$5 wire shelf double hook attachment
$5 small swivel pulley
$3 of 40 lb nylon rope
$2 "S" hook
plastic vitamin bottle w/hole drilled near rim and filled with quarters and two wrenches

Got myself rehab equipment to use while sitting and watching TV.

Last edited:
I'm studying neuromuscular therapy at the moment, and 99% of the time, when people say "tear", what it really is, is "spasm".

Active release worked.

Which confirms it was a chronic spasm or contraction of muscle spindles.

The self administered equivalent of active release for that rotator cuff region would be, inverse cable cross overs.

I had a similar issue myself.
It was so bad I couldn't sleep on it.

Few session of inverse cable cross overs, "titrating" up the weights - problem solved.

Neuromuscular theory is an excellent approach to soft tissue treatment.
As oppose to chiropractic, jolting bones and joints about the place.

lol - I just watched that video - fucking ridiculous.

The idea is to settle or calm the hyper neuromuscular activity, induce neuronal sleep in the muscles to alleviate the spasm/"tear".

What he's doing is distinctly aggravating the spindles and would exacerbate the contractile cascade - causing pain, worsening the condition.

Basically you want to "reset" the muscle programming, get the muscle to realise it's not "in danger", get it to "chill the fuck out" - do so via slowly applying gentle contractions through increasing ranges of motion.

That jerky fast movement in the vid is exactly what NOT to do.

Last edited:
I'm studying neuromuscular therapy at the moment, and 99% of the time, when people say "tear", what it really is, is "spasm".

Active release worked.

The self administered equivalent of active release for that rotator cuff region would be, inverse cable cross overs.

Few session of inverse cable cross overs, "titrating" up the weights - problem solved.

i am good a tit rating, i prefer ass rating, though.

lol - I just watched that video - fucking ridiculous.

The idea is to settle or calm the hyper neuromuscular activity, induce neuronal sleep in the muscles to alleviate the spasm/"tear".

What he's doing is distinctly aggravating the spindles and would exacerbate the contractile cascade - causing pain, worsening the condition.

Basically you want to "reset" the muscle programming, get the muscle to realise it's not "in danger", get it to "chill the fuck out" - do so via slowly applying gentle contractions through increasing ranges of motion.

That jerky fast movement in the vid is exactly what NOT to do.
Depends entirely on what the underlying issue is. Soft tissue work is a great tool, but there is no magic bullet. If it's a legitimate tear you need a more complete rehab protocol.

Active release worked.

Where are you studying NMT?

Title is highly irresponsible. You don't recover from a tear by doing exercises. If I cut into your bicep with a knife you wouldn't curl it better. The tear has to heal. Once the healing stage is well advanced it's often necessary to do exercises to ensure that the new tissue functions as well as the old does.

I'm also pretty sure that this is not a great selection of exercises for prevention of rotator cuff injuries, or rehab. AFAIK, the 'bread and butter' for that is the basic movements that the rotator cuffs contribute most strongly to (internal and external shoulder rotation and arm abduction) along with scapular stability work.

I tore my rotator cuff years back, none of that shit really worked for me. The only thing that substantially healed my shoulder was stretching, certain yoga positions that build strength in your shoulder when you can't lift (such as a headstand), and most importantly, brachiating. That was what really fixed my shoulder.

I tore my rotator cuff before myself.

The only thing at physio that did anything for me was the ultrasound. The rehab exercises only made things hurt more.

I found a triangle stretch by Dr. Lauren Fishman that you do against the wall that gave me instant relief. The pain that radiated down my arm was gone within 30 seconds of using this technique.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/02/health/02brody.html

Speaking with an nearly 50 year old weight lifter that I know, he gave me an older version of bro science past onto him by his bros that were into homeopathy and all that, who had also torn their rotator cuffs: don't do anything. Let the body heal itself. My friend said he was back to doing dumbbell flies with 60 pounders after a year.

It was exactly what I needed. I didn't do anything to aggravate my shoulder after that; left it alone. Now I'm fine. It takes a long time to overcome a torn rotator cuff. For me it was over a year.

Just gonna stress again.

When someone thinks they have a "tear" or "pull" - it came about from doing something, a sudden movement by example, lifting something heavy.
Therefore, their natural conclusion is that they "tore" the muscle.

What that is an actual fact is, with the application of whatever force it was, it caused a sudden lengthening of the muscle.

As a natural protection to possibly being injured, the proprioceptors in the muscles (nerves that sense movements), known as muscles spindles, or in the tendons, known as golgi tendon organs - they will cause the muscle to contact, and stay in a shortened state that will not release.

This uses a lot of energy to maintain this, so it's physically taxing - and can be very painful.

The vid exercises do nothing to "calm" or reset the spindles - probably make it worse.

What one generally wants to do, is shorten the muscle via bringing its attachments as close together as possible, then gradually work through the contractive phases, applying gentle contractions at each one.

This reduces the muscle firing and releases the permanent contracture or "spasm".

The formation or presence of trigger points may also be present, which can be treated their own way - focal pressure, needling, electrotherapy etc, and the use of positional release - determining the muscular "point of ease", which will again, allow the muscle to reduce its rate of firing, causing the spasm to release.

Back