Show 'em Your "O" Face - The Oly Lifts Thread

Is this legit? Opinions?

[YT]KzfHXiyuu7U#![/YT]

^There's no "one" correct way to teach how to get under the bar properly. The main ideas are that you need to drop your hips aggressively for the fast turnover and also use your arms to pull the body down so that the bar doesn't crash. One thing that I notice a lot of lifters do is they start cutting their pull short in order to get under the bar faster, which could be detrimental to your progress if you are still a beginner/intermediate lifter... Always finish hard before pulling under or else you will LOOK like you are being faster under the bar whereas in reality you are just pulling under earlier not faster.

I'm a guy looking to get back into olympic lifts. I'm going to be buying a bar for my house, what size should I get? 7 foot? Thanks.

I'm a guy looking to get back into olympic lifts. I'm going to be buying a bar for my house, what size should I get? 7 foot? Thanks.

Errr, why would you get anything but a 7ft bar?

I think you already know the answer to this question.

Anywaaaaay, I can get a 300lbs set of bumper plates for $265.

do me get?

Errr, why would you get anything but a 7ft bar?

When we lifted at school we always just used whatever size was available. I assumed it was a 7 foot bar but I wasn't sure. Thanks.

Hopefully I am not breaking any forum rules by posting this, but...

Anyone who is interested in both visiting Thailand and getting proper instruction in the Oly lifts might like to know that Mark Cannella and Drew Dillon from Colombus Weightlifting are running a bunch of Oly Courses in Chiang Mai again this January.

Mark is the organizer of the Oly competition at the Arnold, and Drew is top-10 lifter in the US at 185. Both are Holly Mangold's coaches (Mark is head coach, Drew happens to be her manager). So these guys are legit. If you live in Greece, Iran, China or Russia or somewhere like that you probably won't be bowled over, but for many of us, you're going to be pretty lucky to get in front of coaches of their quality. I can also personally attest to the fact that both are really nice, cool guys. I've been in touch with both since the first course, and they give me tips and pointers on my form check videos, which of course they totally don't have to do. (Of course I still suck colossally, but that is not their fault.)

Currently the schedule is

Jan 15-16: Introductory course (basically 1 day on the snatch, 1 day on the clean)
Jan 17: Course on coaching and programming
Jan 18-19: USAW level 1 cert

The courses are at CrossFit ChiangMai, which means that it will be mostly CrossFitters but I found that most of the people last year were pretty nice, and the owner is great.

Can I get a form check? Recently got more into oly lifts than PL style since it seems to affect my running less. I was working with some good coaches from a program with the army over the summer, but only got coaching on low and high pulls and front squats. One of their progressions after power clean was a power clean where you caught it in the quarter squat, then paused and went down for a squat. That's what I'm going for with these, and I've never got any good critique on weightlifting moves yet.

[YT]_r7nWSMzfZE[/YT]
135x1

[YT]BiI91zTTfew[/YT]
175x1

[YT]CcOVUi91XlM[/YT]
175x1 again.

The vids were done on an iphone's slo mo. On the 135 I noticed my upper back was definitely rounded, I guess its a habit from deadlifting. I watched that error and self-corrected for the other 2 (or tried to) so had I not caught it I may have done that for all of them. Any tips/criticism greatly appreciated.

Back