Show 'em Your "O" Face - The Oly Lifts Thread

I'm hoping to get back into Cleans. If i post some vids would you guys mind taking me through some tips and corrections? The only reputable olympic coach in the area is where i can't get to often enough (once a month). I have a vidya of my old form and will be taking a new one today for comparison. I probably suck, looking to improve.

I'm hoping to get back into Cleans. If i post some vids would you guys mind taking me through some tips and corrections? The only reputable olympic coach in the area is where i can't get to often enough (once a month). I have a vidya of my old form and will be taking a new one today for comparison. I probably suck, looking to improve.

If no one else is going to chip in I can post some stuff. Dan recommends this clean progression:

I'm told the Cal Strength/Glenn Pendlay videos are a really good way of teaching the first pull "from the top":

I think this video is very cool too- Glenn Pendlay doing a bar path and back angle analysis of Jon North's clean. I found watching it really helpful, especially the back angle bit. It puts some stuff together- sweeping the knees back and the effect on the back angle, the position you should be in when the bar is at your knees, what to do next. Which IMO is most of it really.

If you want to do some drills, Don McCauley has a bunch of them. Here is one of them, you can get to the others through linked videos in the side bar:

Hopefully these are helpful. But if I were you I'd hit up an actual lifter/coach though- Dan or maybe Jake. Someone like me who just messes around with them a little bit can't tell you that much, I am sure.

At this point you probably know as much or more than me mystery man

At this point you probably know as much or more than me mystery man

When it comes to escaping from secret bases on a life raft, playing baccarat and bedding the innocent girlfriend of the evil genius, yes, almost certainly.

When it comes to anything to do with lifting, I would imagine I know maximum 5% of what you do.

Tips are appreciated. Still learning, trying to suck less.

Old Form

Old Form 2

New Form

New Form 2

Wish i'd have watched that last video prior to today.

5l43rm.png

You look like you are falling forward and/or triple-extending too early.

You also look like you are shrugging as soon as you pass the knees, not when you get to your top position. You can see your elbow starting to bend as soon as you are closing then triangle.
1orbpw.png

f1gqvd.png

You also seem to be turning your right foot in/collapsing your knee in.
2rmp40g.gif

I've hit my nuts a few times with the bar, might be why i'm bending my elbows and shrugging. How can i correct it?

As for the ankles, how would i correct it?

I've hit my nuts a few times with the bar, might be why i'm bending my elbows and shrugging. How can i correct it?

I'm not a coach and I don't have a great clean. Other people probably have better suggestions.

For me, I treat it like I do learning to play music. I have my positions I want to get to and the transitions there and want those transitions to be smooth and rhythmic. Positions for the clean would be the floor, below the knee, above the knee, and at the top. Start with a slow tempo, transition through them, and only move up to a faster tempo when you have it perfect multiple times in a row.

I could try that for sure. Perhaps i'm exploding too early/late and the bar doesn't hit where it should.

Back