Shoyoroll Competition Gi, Batch#4 Review

Well, rather than start my own thread on this I figured I would add my own experiences to this. I got a batch 4 gi for the holidays and was totally excited about it. I was looking for a gi that was going to see some training and a few competitions this year. I appreciated the posts from Vince about the gi's leading up to their release highlighting the features and timeline etc. When mine finally came it felt and looked great. I'm 5'10" 180lbs, and have generally worn an A3 in other brands (Padilla Gold & Gracie Barra). SYR fit me about the same unwashed as they did. Both jacket and pants needed a little shrinking for proper fit. I just washed on cold and dried on low for half a cycle and put it out to finish on the line, which made the pants fit perfectly, the jacket, however will need just a little more shrinking. Materials and design seem to be pretty top notch. Mine had about 4 inches of skipped stitching on the collar which was a bit of a bummer, but with Vince's help I've gotten that squared away.

Jacket: Very light, nice feel to the weave, would have liked a very slightly longer skirt to it (just my opinioni), but overall very nice. Very solid collar (my first rubber collar) takes some getting used to.

Pants: Just about perfect. I would like to see the belt loops a hair lower if you keep the corded drawstring (which I like) so the string doesn't ride over the pants. Overall just awsome though (really like the goldweave crotch insert and the knee reinforcement).

Features: It's been said before, but I'll say it again the chest patch was not good & REALLY hard to remove (took close to 2 hours) as it was sewn into the lapel (nice job ditching it for the next batch Vince). Corded drawstring was a nice touch for me, as it seems to stay tied a lot better than the flat fabric ones I'm used to. Embroidery was basic and nice. Would have liked it if the ID pocket had made it into this batch as it seemed like a good idea (if it did please tell me where it ended up 'cause I sure can't find it). Knee reinforcement is a good bit thicker than I'm used to but I'm really starting to like it.

At the gym: Everyone really liked the look of it (including my instructor). Felt great rolling (5 days now), the only thing I ran into was that it was a lot harder for me to choke my opponent using my own collar, I think due to the more substantial construction. Seems to also keep me cooler (I find I'm sweating less).

Overall: Probably my favorite Gi so far. I'm iffy as to whether whether I like it twice as much as my Padilla (it's close to twice the price). However after interacting with Vince and seeing his commitment to customer service and quality of purchasing experience, I would do it again without hesitation and also recommend it to others.

I have no clue why, but this forum blows.
You can never see the responses.
Of course, they show up as soon as I post. :icon_lol:

the chest patch was not good & REALLY hard to remove (took close to 2 hours) as it was sewn into the lapel

did you manage to remove the patch without compromising the lapel?

I would like to take off the patch, too, but don't want to spend all that time on it while risking compromising the lapel, thus, I am even considering taking the gi to a place that does alterations ...

perhaps you need to upgrade your Internet connection?
I've never had any problems with this forum ...

perhaps you need to upgrade your Internet connection?
I've never had any problems with this forum ...

That's not it. I have a pretty good internet connection and have tons of problems too. Search Function does not work for me, Posts that I can't see, and double posting.

Yeah it took almost 2 days for my post above to show.

did you manage to remove the patch without compromising the lapel?

I would like to take off the patch, too, but don't want to spend all that time on it while risking compromising the lapel, thus, I am even considering taking the gi to a place that does alterations ...

Yeah, I used a seam ripper on the lapel seam after removing the rest of the patch stitching. I used the ripper not to cut the thread, but to cut/join the holes in the patch where the lapel stitching goes through it so that eventually all that was left was a strip of patch almost hidden under the lapel. Then I took a set of needlenose pliers to one end of it and slowly pulled that strip out. No actual stitching got cut. Huge pain in the ass though.

Thank You for the feedback guys. Our team and your feedback has allowed us to make changes to future batches to make them better and better.

I just got the "Grey Skies" edition in A2.

I love the patch up front, but I guess I'm in the minority here.

Quick question for Vince:

I want to shrink this gi SLIGHTLY. It's a pretty good fit already, the sleeves only have to come up an inch, and the body needs to slim up just a little.

So... what is the best way to make sure I don't OVERSHRINK this bad boy.

I'm thinking a cold wash, and then dry on low heat one time. Then strictly air-dry from there on out.

Any thoughts?

I'll also attempt to do a more thorough review w/ pics if anybody wants it. Just holla'

I just got the "Grey Skies" edition in A2.

I love the patch up front, but I guess I'm in the minority here.

Quick question for Vince:

I want to shrink this gi SLIGHTLY. It's a pretty good fit already, the sleeves only have to come up an inch, and the body needs to slim up just a little.

So... what is the best way to make sure I don't OVERSHRINK this bad boy.

I'm thinking a cold wash, and then dry on low heat one time. Then strictly air-dry from there on out.

Any thoughts?

I'll also attempt to do a more thorough review w/ pics if anybody wants it. Just holla'

Yeah a review would be deadly

Yovan,

If you need the sleeves to come in a bit as well as the body. I would run on med heat for 40 min. Check it at the 20 min mark to make sure it did not to much. If at the 20min mark it is good, I would take it out ot of the dry and let hang dry after. I would repeat this process until it shrinks to where you need it. After that i would try and hang dry after every training session

Yeah, I used a seam ripper on the lapel seam after removing the rest of the patch stitching. I used the ripper not to cut the thread, but to cut/join the holes in the patch where the lapel stitching goes through it so that eventually all that was left was a strip of patch almost hidden under the lapel. Then I took a set of needlenose pliers to one end of it and slowly pulled that strip out. No actual stitching got cut. Huge pain in the ass though.

yeah, it sounds like a total pain in the ass!
since I don't have the time to fiddle with the patch, I'll either leave it on or drop the gi off at the shop that does alterations to have it done professionally.
thanks for the post, nates

we have the exact same issue with the gi lol
but, since you have access to a dryer, it looks like you'll be set.
please update us throughout the shrinking process, yovan.
thanks in advance

First off, major props to Shoyoroll for designing a fantastic gi, and providing kick-ass customer service.

This is only my second BJJ gi I've owned, but I've gone through about 6 judo gis (although those are much different). Therefore, I'm by no means an authority on BJJ gis, but I've give ya' my thoughts.

The details are amazing, especially the extra "rasta" stitching inside and the shoyoroll stitching that runs on the inside of the lapel/collar.

It also seems light, compared to my Fuji, and especially my Judo gis.

I bought this gi to be a workhouse gi for training. This will be my top gi to use, so I wanted to spend a little more and get something with some quality and workmanship. I think this gi fits the bill.

Well done Shoyoroll.

OK-- on to the shrinking. I'm 5' 11"/175. I'm glad Vince talked me into the A2, as it was bigger than expected out of the package. The pic below is the gi top. Tomorrow, I will wash in cold water, and dry in 20 minute intervals until it fits snug.

I'll also try and get some pics taken before and after the shrink for updates.

DSC00603.jpg

I let my brother, who is the same height as I, 6 feet, but a bit heavier, 190 lbs ( I am 170) wear the gi.
It feet him way better and I thought it was a perfect fit.
Bear in mind that this gi has been shrunk to the max, 3 times hot washed and 3 times in the dryer.
Can anybody post measurements of an A2?
Sleeve 2 sleeve, jacket length and width? Shouldn't be too hard.

I got 64 inches for the sleeve length and 32 inches length(including lapel) 24 inches width on a first gen A2 shoyoroll.

My new Shoyoroll is 65" sleeve to sleeve, 31 inches in length, and 25 inches wide.

I've washed it twice, and honestly, right now it fits like a glove.

It will never see a dryer again, so hopefully, the measurements are final.

I hear it takes 4 washes with these gis, so after the 4, I'll post my before/after pics.

For reference, I'm 5' 11"/175-180 pounds

Back