Shutter Island: I'm Going to Blow Your Mind(And possibly ruin the movie for you)

And yes a woman that size can drown kids that age. Crazy people are strong. Plus she could've drugged them first. Being crazy, I'm sure she had a ton of pills in the house.

Plausible theory about pills, yes. But that's more per-meditated than a psychotic breakdown.

I'm not saying it's impossible for her to drown a child that size, but all 3? And no scratches would either mean she drugged them indeed (which is in no way noted in the movie) or the fact that it didn't happen and was in her imagination.

Pretty much this. OP over analyzed the shit out of the plot

How is this theory isn't at least as plausible as any other main theory.
Just because he was convicted for murder of his wife and not children, doesn't mean he didn't do all of them. Who were the witnesses? Oh, the one witness was dead-his wife.

None of you would make good detectives.
First thing you look for are signs of struggle and bruising/marks/scratches on assailant's arms/face.

Only way for Dolores to kill three kids without a scratch, would be as @Fedorgasm suggested, if she drugged them. But that too goes further than the plot of the movie reveals.

How is this theory isn't at least as plausible as any other main theory.
Just because he was convicted for murder of his wife and not children, doesn't mean he didn't do all of them. Who were the witnesses? Oh, the one witness was dead-his wife.
I dig it.. He killed them kids and his first delusion was that his wife did it.

TS getting upset that no one agrees with his theory lol

I'm a little worried at how expert TS seems on drowning children.

He also seems to be carrying delusions of being a detective.. the plot thickens.

I'm a little worried at how expert TS seems on drowning children.

He also seems to be carrying delusions of being a detective.. the plot thickens.

Applied common sense to a movie plot.
If you can't contribute to a topic, don't resort to passive aggressive bitch-like insults. Make a thread in OT or something.

Last edited:
all of the guilt he feels is from killing his wife and not saving his children. that’s why she continually shows up in his visions and dreams and so do dead kids. you’re overthinking it.

one of my absolute all time favorite movies though.

Maybe she drugged them first?

Or she was on PEDS. Everyone's on PEDS!

Was brought up. Valid possibility of her drugging the children.
Did they have access to morphine or other heavier drugs back then? I mean sleeping pills didn't really come around till recently. They obviously didn't have oxy pills. So when you say drugged, what would she actually give them?

Someone also mentioned that on account of her being coo-coo, she was extra strong. I still think one of the kids would run away or hide and still brings me to the original observation that she would have defensive marks on her arms/face. And logistically it would still be hard to imagine. She obviously couldn't drown all three at once.
Doesn't add up.

OP, your theory is interesting but I don't think that's how it was thought out. But in a way, he sort of did kill them. At least he blames himself.

He believes he's a monster because he knew his wife was crazy but he chose to bury his head in the sand, thinking "she's not that bad, I'm sure she'll get better" to the point where he actually left her alone with the kids.

So she's not responsible because she doesn't know any better. He's the one who's responsible because he knew she wasn't right in the head and he ignored it and it cost his children their lives.

That's why he feels so guilty.

And yes a woman that size can drown kids that age. Crazy people are strong. Plus she could've drugged them first. Being crazy, I'm sure she had a ton of pills in the house.
Exactly.

"After she tried to kill herself the first time, Dolores told me she... she had an insect living inside her brain. She could feel it clicking across her skull, just... pulling the wires, just for fun. She told me that. She told me that but I didn't listen. I loved her so much."

"Cause I can't take knowing that Dolores killed our children... That I... I killed them because I didn't get her help.. you know... I killed them"

I wish I could find a clip of that scene, one of my favourite in movie history.

None of you would make good detectives.
First thing you look for are signs of struggle and bruising/marks/scratches on assailant's arms/face.

Only way for Dolores to kill three kids without a scratch, would be as @Fedorgasm suggested, if she drugged them. But that too goes further than the plot of the movie reveals.

TS is over analyzing this movie, to the point where...is kindda weird.

Great movie btw. Di Caprio and Ruffalo plus the whole atmosphere, liked it.

Scorcese intentionally added the final line (that wasnt in the novel) to make it.possible he was actually a US Marshall.
I don’t think that’s true. Seems like the line means he actually had not regressed, but simply couldn’t live with the guilt of killing his wife and neglecting her mental illness (which led to the death of his children). I don’t think it’s in dispute that he was a Marshall after the war. The therapy actually seemed to have worked, so far as bringing him clarity in regards to what actually transpired.

OP, your theory is interesting but I don't think that's how it was thought out. But in a way, he sort of did kill them. At least he blames himself.

Exactly.

"After she tried to kill herself the first time, Dolores told me she... she had an insect living inside her brain. She could feel it clicking across her skull, just... pulling the wires, just for fun. She told me that. She told me that but I didn't listen. I loved her so much."

"Cause I can't take knowing that Dolores killed our children... That I... I killed them because I didn't get her help.. you know... I killed them"

I wish I could find a clip of that scene, one of my favourite in movie history.

I remember that scene exactly. But, we're forgetting we're dealing with someone who is delusional. Who says he doesn't have layers to his delusions?
That wouldn't make him a monster, one time popping his wife had she in fact brutally killed their three kids. Being a dumb husband also wouldn't make him a monster. Sure, he'd be miserable living with that truth, but that wouldn't amount to that level of contempt for himself.

Now if he went batshit and drowned his three kids, and when wife tried to stop him, he popped her, later blaming her for the act, yep, he'd be an absolute monster and I'd probably regress into some fantasy to hide from it. Then after one layer is peeled, he remembers another layer to it and intentionally pretends to go crazy again so they split his brain.

How would authorities exonerate him in death of three kids, btw? We know he killed a wife, so no further witnesses. She looks to have drowned them just before he came home, cause she was still wet, so autopsy and time of death wouldn't eliminate him as the suspect.

His wife may have been crazy, but he was seeing things from concentration camps in his mind pretty regularly. This is absolutely plausible, just not elaborated in the movie.

Chris Watts, the family killer, made up this very story to cover for his pathetic ass. Told detectives that his wife choked their two kids, then he chocked her. In reality the pitiful fucked choked all three and disposes of the bodies.

Back