SI: Cormier wants to go to WWE to be in Royal Rumble (after UFC 220)

Once HHH takes control there might be more crossover
Vince only heard of Ronda & Dana
When Rampage did Monday Night Raw to promote A-Team, Vince had no idea who he was & Page was at his popularity peak

oh there's crossover appeal for sure for guest spots here and there. but in this case... is DC as popular now as Rampage was when he was in the A-Team (and had a movie studio paying for him to get promo time all over the fucking place)? No chance.

I think there are SIGNIFICANTLY less wrestling fans who are interested in or follow mma than people think (I am the only person out of the 20 or so wrassling fans I hang out with regularly who follows mma, for example), for a start. And then, being mouthy on twitter doesn't automatically = pro wrestling fanbase. And being a pro wrestler doesn't at all = easier work than mma. Quite the opposite.

Would be hilarious, they should have DC come out with a bucket of fried chicken and a towel.

oh there's crossover appeal for sure for guest spots here and there. but in this case... is DC as popular now as Rampage was when he was in the A-Team (and had a movie studio paying for him to get promo time all over the fucking place)? No chance.

I think there are SIGNIFICANTLY less wrestling fans who are interested in or follow mma than people think (I am the only person out of the 20 or so wrassling fans I hang out with regularly who follows mma, for example), for a start. And then, being mouthy on twitter doesn't automatically = pro wrestling fanbase. And being a pro wrestler doesn't at all = easier work than mma. Quite the opposite.

I agree
I was just saying HHH would be more open to it because he knows who UFC guys are.

The thing that makes me laugh on here is when you see post about "WWE paying better"
They average about 5-8% of gross while UFC in 2015 paid 13% & WWE performers work 200 dates a year & travel to/from each week

Well, they could go through with it and push him. Alternatively, he could put up his win against someone else and have it stolen.

They've had some guys fall out accidentally. I think they have refs on the outside that could call the new action if a plan falls through. I guess they could have a senior wrestler like Taker, Cena, or Orton call the new order if they were in the ring.

Yeah but I mean that if there's no other option at the time. If DC and say Triple H are the last two and they're going for a spot where Triple H is on the outside and just happens to slip then DC is undeniably the winner, they'd have to come up with something down the line but it would be interesting to see it happen.

I agree
I was just saying HHH would be more open to it because he knows who UFC guys are.

The thing that makes me laugh on here is when you see post about "WWE paying better"
They average about 5-8% of gross while UFC in 2015 paid 13% & WWE performers work 200 dates a year & travel to/from each week

exactly! Being a pro wrestler as your main job is far from easy. And regardless what what people might think or say, you don't get to WWE (and to being their champs) *just* because you are famous/infamous. And you're right about the money thing too, you don't make GOOD money by WWE standards unless you're one of the top dozen or so guys.

O.G. James Cornette comes to Cormier's defense.

I love Cornette, but he is typical of the "old man yelling at cloud" meme

He wants wrestling to be the way it was in 1983 & hates anything new
Meanwhile indy wrestling has never been bigger & The Young Bucks are a huge reason.

What he doesn't get is wrestling needed to change & get away from being <cough? real <cough> due to UFC/MMA popularity & filling that void.

I don't always necessarily disagree with Cornette, but I was at a wrestling event recently where he did a Q&A with him and a few other old school dudes, and every one of them was shitting all over current WWE and indy stuff and telling us all how it *should* be done.... but it was funny cos here they all were doing a Q&A with a bunch of uber-nerds for a couple hundred bucks and NOT being successful wrestlers/promotions

What he doesn't get is wrestling needed to change & get away from being <cough? real <cough> due to UFC/MMA popularity & filling that void.

On the money. And Vince saw that shit coming a mile away too.

Wrestling is soap opera and comics come to life, and that is totally fine.

There's actually a good chance that Ronda is a surprise entry at Royal Rumble this year. They're having an all-female rumble, and she has been in training for her debut.

Although if she does make it in, I would imagine they would have to let her win...

which isn't likely...

I love Cornette, but he is typical of the "old man yelling at cloud" meme

He wants wrestling to be the way it was in 1983 & hates anything new
Meanwhile indy wrestling has never been bigger & The Young Bucks are a huge reason.

Big Cornette fan, and I also concur with your criticism.

He longs for the days of the old territory system, but he blames bad business decisions by the major promotions rather than modern technology (cable/internet) for killing it.

There's no way in hell that things could have continued like the old days no matter how the WWE/WCW ran things in the 90s.

That said. I love listening to Cornette rant and I don't much care for contemporary wrestling, so his podcasts are usually fun listens for me.

He longs for the days of the old territory system, but he blames bad business decisions by the major promotions rather than modern technology (cable/internet) for killing it.

There's no way in hell that things could have continued like the old days no matter how the WWE/WCW ran things in the 90s.

That said. I love listening to Cornette rant and I don't much care for contemporary wrestling, so his podcasts are usually fun listens for me.

Didn't they bring in Cornette to stop TNA/Impact from sinking...

And he jumped ship after like a month...

On the money. And Vince saw that shit coming a mile away too.

Wrestling is soap opera and comics come to life, and that is totally fine.

Funny thing is, I think most of what Vince does in 2017/18 is bad.
There is no logic or cohesive storytelling & he has TWENTY-EIGHT writers on staff
He changes his mind every 20 minutes & hates wrestling so much that he forgets what a great match is about.

the indy wrestling Cornette hates, is what is keeping "wrestling" alive (since VKM is "entertainment").
He needs to grasp that he is not the target audience for the Young Bucks & Bullet Club

But Corny made nice with WWE in 2017 so its all about the indy wrestlers.

Nah
He came in as an on-air character
He left when they moved taping's & later operation to Canada

What happened was that Jarrett brought him in, but then Jarrett got fired. Additionally, the company relocated to Canada, and Cornette can't get into the country. So he kind of had no choice but to quit.

Funny thing is, I think most of what Vince does in 2017/18 is bad.
There is no logic or cohesive storytelling & he has TWENTY-EIGHT writers on staff
He changes his mind every 20 minutes & hates wrestling so much that he forgets what a great match is about.

the indy wrestling Cornette hates, is what is keeping "wrestling" alive (since VKM is "entertainment").
He needs to grasp that he is not the target audience for the Young Bucks & Bullet Club

But Corny made nice with WWE in 2017 so its all about the indy wrestlers.

I probably haven't seen a full WWE segment in 6-7 years. I just have no interest in that product whatsoever.

I probably haven't seen a full WWE segment in 6-7 years. I just have no interest in that product whatsoever.

Its impossible not to get frustrated watching
Vince screams that they do not do "wrestling" but tell stories & they suck at it

Plus the over-scripting is horrendous

HHH cannot take over soon enough

Its impossible not to get frustrated watching
Vince screams that they do not do "wrestling" but tell stories & they suck at it

Plus the over-scripting is horrendous

HHH cannot take over soon enough

That's probably Cornette's most reasonable criticism of modern wrestling.

Vince/WWE tries too hard to pretend that they're not doing a wrestling show.

Then there's all the other entertainment-related crap that they produce like the B-movies, and they're even talking about bringing back the XFL.

Vince used to be good at producing wrestling shows. He should stick to what made him a billionaire.

Nah
He came in as an on-air character
He left when they moved taping's & later operation to Canada

What happened was that Jarrett brought him in, but then Jarrett got fired. Additionally, the company relocated to Canada, and Cornette can't get into the country. So he kind of had no choice but to quit.

Shame...

They need all the help they can get. I hear they are trying to partner up with NJPW again...

But I don't see it happening

Back