Signed up for 1st Ironman

luv24nic8

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hey guys- I'm signed up to participate in my first triathalon- Ironman Florida-
Ask me anything -

Its my 1st triathalon - I've never competed in running, swimming or cycling - so this is all new to me. A friend of mine talked me into doing it with him- I started training for it 3 weeks ago- I'm following the prescribed workouts in the book "Ironman - start to finish".
Anyways, swimming is a mother bitch, running sucks, and cycling for more than 30 minutes hurts my taint.

Any suggestions/ tips/advice from you training animals?

I'm working my way up to. Started maybe 3 months ago. I'm up from barely being able to knock out a 1 mile jog up to 15 on a good day.

Ask me anything -

Its my 1st triathalon - I've never competed in running, swimming or cycling - so this is all new to me. A friend of mine talked me into doing it with him- I started training for it 3 weeks ago- I'm following the prescribed workouts in the book "Ironman - start to finish".
Anyways, swimming is a mother bitch, running sucks, and cycling for more than 30 minutes hurts my taint.

Your ass gets used to the saddle eventually. Or get a new saddle if not. Based your running on your heart rate, so a garmin watch will come in handy. Lol at going from nothing to straight into an iron man. Is it a half iron man? Maybe try doing a sprint triathlon first and see if you don't zonk out

Ask me anything -

Good luck bro. I was planning on doing that one day but the running part is a hard pass for me, my head wants to implode after 3 miles. The longest I've run was 7 miles when I was preparing for a relay race and all I could think of throughout was "Please good let me die". Running is, without a close second, the most boring thing one can do in life.

Ask me anything -

I’ve wrenched at 7-8 IM events and am certified in 2 different bike fit systems. I managed a collection of shops in Texas, a few of them bring really committed to Tri.
My advice:
-get a fitting on your bike by someone who does tri fits
-pay for a nice saddle. Specialized and Shimano have best saddles in the business.
-buy shoes at a specialty run store where that can analyze your walk and run.
-Pay for a good fit on your road bike and make sure it’s tuned up nicely 10 days before the race
-start with a half but it sounds too late, lol

Your ass gets used to the saddle eventually. Or get a new saddle if not. Based your running on your heart rate, so a garmin watch will come in handy. Lol at going from nothing to straight into an iron man. Is it a half iron man? Maybe try doing a sprint triathlon first and see if you don't zonk out

Yeah- I got some biking shorts with padding- did a 2 hr ride - about 41 miles last week- still sore today. I haven't used a HR monitor yet because my HR shoots up to an anaerobic level pretty fast- Yeah, jumping into it is prolly not the smartest thing- it is the full ironman - my friend who I'm doing it with did the same thing, and well, he survived - and somehow talked me into this adventure. I will try to see if i can do a few smaller tri's to get used to it.

Good luck TS. I want to work my way up to this curl contest

Yeah- I got some biking shorts with padding- did a 2 hr ride - about 41 miles last week- still sore today. I haven't used a HR monitor yet because my HR shoots up to an anaerobic level pretty fast- Yeah, jumping into it is prolly not the smartest thing- it is the full ironman - my friend who I'm doing it with did the same thing, and well, he survived - and somehow talked me into this adventure. I will try to see if i can do a few smaller tri's to get used to it.

Go do a sprint triathlon

I don't have any advice to offer you TS - it took me all my time to finish a 5K for charity a couple of months ago, lol - but I'd like to wish you the best of luck:)

TS are you a phenom who can just jump into intense physical exertion like this and gut your way through? I v'e know a few guys like that. If you are not you are being really silly as well trained people end up in severe distress trying to complete these things.

Also just as an FYI you may develop third Testicle from the cycling. I did.

A Cyclist’s Third Testicle

But don't worry if you do as girls truly love it. They are fascinated by it and end up playing with your nuts way more. Just don't tell them about it. You have to let them discover it. Then you get to play it up. I call it my 'super power'.

2.4 mile swim- 112 mile bike- 26 mile run

I've done a few sprint distance tris, some full marathons and a couple of ultra distance runs. My best advice to you would be to start small and build up to an ultra/iron distance , you're probably looking at at least 2 years to go from couch to iron man distance without hurting yourself. You're most likely biting off waaay more than you can chew by jumping right in there.

TLDR : I predict either burn out or an overuse injury within 3-5 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW I just decided I would do the Toronto CN Tower Stair climb this coming April. I've always thought about but now feel I am getting near good enough shape to go for it.

--------------

WWF’S CN TOWER CLIMB FOR NATURE
REACH NEW PERSONAL HEIGHTS
Challenge yourself to get fit and conquer the 1,776 stairs of Toronto’s tallest tower.

---------------

I'm fit and cycle a lot but man stairs are a mother fucker and just crush my cardio. I am sure I could slow walk the CN Tower stairs now but anything more than that would hurt me. I live on the 31st floor of my condo building and try to do the stairs as much as possible up and down and rarely take the elevator but the up climb drains me bad. I need to be able to run my condo stairs up and down about 5 times before I think I will be ready for the CN Tower, if I want any type of good time.

I'm going to dedicate my climb to @Zookeeper Gabe since its for Nature!

I've done a few sprint distance tris, some full marathons and a couple of ultra distance runs. My best advice to you would be to start small and build up to an ultra , you're probably looking at at least 2 years to go from couch to iron man distance without hurting yourself. You're most likely biting off waaay more than you can chew by jumping right in there.

TLDR : I predict either burn out or an overuse injury within 3-5 months.
ha ha- I always bite off more than I can chew! It'll be interesting- on top of that, I'm 44 years old- in my head i can do it, but my body is telling me "not so fast, smart guy".

BTW I just decided I would do the Toronto CN Tower Stair climb this coming April. I've always thought about but now feel I am getting near good enough shape to go for it.

--------------

WWF’S CN TOWER CLIMB FOR NATURE
REACH NEW PERSONAL HEIGHTS
Challenge yourself to get fit and conquer the 1,776 stairs of Toronto’s tallest tower.

---------------

I'm fit and cycle a lot but man stairs are a mother fucker and just crush my cardio. I am sure I could slow walk the CN Tower stairs now but anything more than that would hurt me. I live on the 31st floor of my condo building and try to do the stairs as much as possible up and down and rarely take the elevator but the up climb drains me bad. I need to be able to run my condo stairs up and down about 5 times before I think I will be ready for the CN Tower, if I want any type of good time.

I'm going to dedicate my climb to @Zookeeper Gabe since its for Nature!
thats awesome! Good luck!

Ask me anything -

I'd search out for a triathlon training group. I know down here in South Florida there are at least three that I know of. Normally they give you a schedule and goals as well as have a couple of meet ups to review issues and check progress. It would be a good way to help keep you motivated since you're basically getting a coach, a bunch of training partners and you have the peer pressure to help motivate you on those days you just don't feel like training.

I'd also consider getting a good triathlon trainer watch with a heart rate monitor. I have a Garmin 920 XT that I highly recommend, it's helped me a lot with my training even though I'm not looking to do anything like an ironman at this time.

ha ha- I always bite off more than I can chew! It'll be interesting- on top of that, I'm 44 years old- in my head i can do it, but my body is telling me "not so fast, smart guy".

It's good to wanna get after it and be a hard ass and all that , hell you won't get through the requisite training without it. Its just that the body , particularly your joints and connective tissues take a long time to build to the point of being able to handle that kind of stress. Seasoned endurance athletes are constantly flirting with injury , a noob trying to rush it is almost garaunteed to blow something up. This isn't even getting into figuring out how to pace yourself over large distances , there is a definite skill to it that can only be learned by doing it . That's why virtually everyone s first foray into long /marathon distance type stuff is usually ugly.

Either way , good luck to you man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck man. Those things are tough but its one of the most satisfying accomplishments.

Back