Signed up for 1st Ironman

I’ve finished 7 ironmans. Florida is the easiest one. The year I did Florida, a chick died during the swim. She had a heart attack or something.

Good luck bro. I was planning on doing that one day but the running part is a hard pass for me, my head wants to implode after 3 miles. The longest I've run was 7 miles when I was preparing for a relay race and all I could think of throughout was "Please good let me die". Running is, without a close second, the most boring thing one can do in life.
I always find the girl with the nicest ass I can keep up with. That hypnotic jiggle has gotten me through many runs.

Two words: nipple chafing
2yv3rmd.jpg

shadnip_medium.gif

I’ve had a complete meltdown at an Ironman before, one year at Ironman Arizona before they switched it to the spring time, it was like 106 defeees out and the wind was absolutely screaming all day. I went waaay too hard on the bicycle which left me pretty crushed during the run, I probably walked like half the marathon at the end and finished in 13:30.....it was shit. The next year I finished ironman Canada in 10:03 and then Florida in 9:31.

I used to be a real beast at triathlons.

I’ve finished 7 ironmans. Florida is the easiest one. The year I did Florida, a chick died during the swim. She had a heart attack or something.
yeah- Out of all the ironman's, Florida is supposed to be the most "beginner friendly"- I hope i don't die

I’ve had a complete meltdown at an Ironman before, one year at Ironman Arizona before they switched it to the spring time, it was like 106 defeees out and the wind was absolutely screaming all day. I went waaay too hard on the bicycle which left me pretty crushed during the run, I probably walked like half the marathon at the end and finished in 13:30.....it was shit. The next year I finished ironman Canada in 10:03 and then Florida in 9:31.

I used to be a real beast at triathlons.
Dang man- I'm hoping to finish in under 17:00 - send me some good vibes!

Good luck bro. I was planning on doing that one day but the running part is a hard pass for me, my head wants to implode after 3 miles. The longest I've run was 7 miles when I was preparing for a relay race and all I could think of throughout was "Please good let me die". Running is, without a close second, the most boring thing one can do in life.
I agree- 7 miles is the furthest I've ever run in my life- its boring as all hell where I run, and even worse on a treadmill

I’ve wrenched at 7-8 IM events and am certified in 2 different bike fit systems. I managed a collection of shops in Texas, a few of them bring really committed to Tri.
My advice:
-get a fitting on your bike by someone who does tri fits
-pay for a nice saddle. Specialized and Shimano have best saddles in the business.
-buy shoes at a specialty run store where that can analyze your walk and run.
-Pay for a good fit on your road bike and make sure it’s tuned up nicely 10 days before the race
-start with a half but it sounds too late, lol
Thanks for the tips!

I'd search out for a triathlon training group. I know down here in South Florida there are at least three that I know of. Normally they give you a schedule and goals as well as have a couple of meet ups to review issues and check progress. It would be a good way to help keep you motivated since you're basically getting a coach, a bunch of training partners and you have the peer pressure to help motivate you on those days you just don't feel like training.

I'd also consider getting a good triathlon trainer watch with a heart rate monitor. I have a Garmin 920 XT that I highly recommend, it's helped me a lot with my training even though I'm not looking to do anything like an ironman at this time.
I wish- I'm up in Montana- although its not a hick town, there are no tri groups around-

I couldn't seon that far. I swim fast, and got uses to using fast twitch muscles. 2.4 miles in the water is crazy. I can do the bike right now, and pretty fast. I jogged 4 mikes out of nowhere about 5 years ago, slowly, and don't know where it came from. I can see finding that rythym though, because the only reason I stopped was my ankles felt like they were going to hurt.

I couldn't seon that far. I swim fast, and got uses to using fast twitch muscles. 2.4 miles in the water is crazy. I can do the bike right now, and pretty fast. I jogged 4 mikes out of nowhere about 5 years ago, slowly, and don't know where it came from. I can see finding that rythym though, because the only reason I stopped was my ankles felt like they were going to hurt.
I'm hoping in 5 more months I'm as good as the Hof:
tenor.gif

yeah- Out of all the ironman's, Florida is supposed to be the most "beginner friendly"- I hope i don't die

The swim is pretty freaky because of the deep ocean and sharks but the bike is flat and fast and the the run is sort of cool when you’re in the St. Andrews state park.

Why didn't you save her?

Man there were paramedics on jet skis pulling her to shore, the cut her wetsuit off and tried to start her heart. I didn’t actually see it because she wasn’t a very fast triathlete so I was already out on the bike while she was still swimming. My girlfriend at the time was standing right there watching people get out of the water when it happened.

tenor.gif

Join a masters swim team, I used to do the I’m swim in ~ 58 minutes which is actually sort of slow compared to the pros.

I had a girlfriend at the time who also did IMs but she was slow, endurance all day but slow, she would always finish in the 15-16 hour range. I can’t imagine you following a good training plan and doing more than like 14 hours.

tenor.gif

Join a masters swim team, I used to do the I’m swim in ~ 58 minutes which is actually sort of slow compared to the pros.

I had a girlfriend at the time who also did IMs but she was slow, endurance all day but slow, she would always finish in the 15-16 hour range. I can’t imagine you following a good training plan and doing more than like 14 hours.
Dang man- I'm hoping to finish in under 17:00 - send me some good vibes!

The real trick to it all is not going balls out on the bike and just running the whole marathon.

Really those 2 things were big pieces of the puzzle for me, I came from a bike racing back ground so it was pretty easy for me to ride a 5:10-5:20 bike at the IM but I found if I held back and went like 5:30-5:45, I ran like an hour faster. Also, if you actually run the entire marathon, you’ll do much better, that walking the aid stations thing is bullshit.

Wow, that's quite the goal, good luck. Are you sure you want to go straight to the big one and not try a marathon on its own first? Those three race segments alone are huge, never mind all at once.

Back