Signed up for 1st Ironman

Practice open water swimming as much as possible, swimming straight, spotting buoys, etc. Following the line on the bottom of a pool and staying between lane ropes is easy. When you swim, practice a consistent breathing pattern. You can also practice that breathing pattern when running and cycling, holding your breath for extended periods of time, and it will ultimately help your swim.

Maybe ill talk the wife into driving over to your end.

I gotta see how long work will let me take after spending a month in exile with this hip.
Ye I figured you been off for awhile want me to buy you a walker old man lol.
Edit must be nice to take off from work that long.............lol you know how much I work now.

Join a masters swim team, I used to do the I’m swim in ~ 58 minutes which is actually sort of slow compared to the pros.

I had a girlfriend at the time who also did IMs but she was slow, endurance all day but slow, she would always finish in the 15-16 hour range. I can’t imagine you following a good training plan and doing more than like 14 hours.
Holy crap- 58 is pretty fast- I'm hoping to swim 1/2 the distance in under 58 minutes!! Well, at least I still have 5 months to get my swimming under control a bit!

Wow, that's quite the goal, good luck. Are you sure you want to go straight to the big one and not try a marathon on its own first? Those three race segments alone are huge, never mind all at once.

Yeah, probably not the smartest thing to do, but my good friend Kevin did the same thing a year ago- I'm following the same prescribed workout that got him through his 1st Ironman in coeur d'alene, Id. which is one of the harder Ironman's- Florida is a lot more forgiving- It'll be difficult, but I'm confident I can do it.

Not a single comment on the cyclists third ball.

Disappointed SHerdog!
I thought it was hilarious and sent the link to my friend Kevin - he's the one that talked me into doing the Ironman with him- he thought it was funny!

Hey guys- I'm signed up to participate in my first triathalon- Ironman Florida-
Ask me anything -

Its my 1st triathalon - I've never competed in running, swimming or cycling - so this is all new to me. A friend of mine talked me into doing it with him- I started training for it 3 weeks ago- I'm following the prescribed workouts in the book "Ironman - start to finish".
Anyways, swimming is a mother bitch, running sucks, and cycling for more than 30 minutes hurts my taint.

Any suggestions/ tips/advice from you training animals?

Will you wear a GoPro and post the video for us to see the pure awesomeness of this?

Ask me anything -

Its my 1st triathalon - I've never competed in running, swimming or cycling - so this is all new to me. A friend of mine talked me into doing it with him- I started training for it 3 weeks ago- I'm following the prescribed workouts in the book "Ironman - start to finish".
Anyways, swimming is a mother bitch, running sucks, and cycling for more than 30 minutes hurts my taint.

Good luck bro, you're crazy but good luck!

Good luck TS, that's huge for your first race!

I'm preparing for my first "triathalon" right now, although I'm just the swimming leg of a relay team, so I don't have to do the whole thing.
That is actually a warm up for my first open water swimming race later in the year.

Still getting the hang of swimming to be honest but I'm putting a lot of effort.
Swimming the distance is going to be the most difficult challenge- I'm really trying to work on my swim technique and endurance.

The first one was certainly the most fun for me. It wasn’t my fastest or slowest race but I hit all the goals I’d set for myself and it was sort of an adventure since I’d never done it before, finished in 11:09 Arizona

My second one was nearly identical to the first one which was very disappointing since I didn’t meet the goals I’d set, finished in 11:02 coure’d Alene

The third oneI had a total melt Down, went way too hard on the bike in tough hot/windy conditions I wasn’t prepared for, walked a lot of the marathon, finished in 13:30, Arizona

4th one get like things were coming together and went 10:03 in ironman Canada after actually running the entire marathon.

5 was in Florida where I went 9:31 on that flat course, that’s the last time I had fun racing actually.

The 6th one was Ironman Wisconsin, awesome race, you finish in the university stadium there. I did 9:59 after getting 2 flat tires on the bike and getting my goggles kicked off during the swim.

My final race was at ironman lake placid where I just realized I didn’t want to
Be there and wasn’t enjoying myself so I just sort of soft pedaled it, talked to more people during the race and enjoyed not caring about how fast I was going, I finished in 11:44 and retired from triathlons after pursuing those goals for almost 10 years.

I did a lot of half ironmans, and sprint triathlons, even the collegiate national triathlon championship 3 times and long course nationals.

Those were fun years, I pretty much fucked off every other aspect of my life to just do triathlons lol, banged some hot triathlete chicks, was pretty popular locally in the racinn scene, had some cool bikes etc.
Cour d'Alene and Madison IM's are really difficult courses from what I've heard-

Practice open water swimming as much as possible, swimming straight, spotting buoys, etc. Following the line on the bottom of a pool and staying between lane ropes is easy. When you swim, practice a consistent breathing pattern. You can also practice that breathing pattern when running and cycling, holding your breath for extended periods of time, and it will ultimately help your swim.
Thanks for the tip!! I haven't swam in years until a few weeks ago when I started swimming at the local health club- As soon as the lakes warm up a bit, Ill be swimming in open water- breathing properly while swimming is definitely something I'm trying to work on! Hopefully as my swimming endurance improves, my breathing will improve also.

Cour d'Alene and Madison IM's are really difficult courses from what I've heard-

Sort of, there is a lot of rolling terrain which makes it hard to pace yourself but I don’t remember any major climbs. Canada was a hard course so is lake placid. I always wanted to do that one in lanzarotte, that was supposed to be hard.

lol- good point

I mean I get it, you’re trying something new, exciting and a bit scary but it’s not a unique thing to do, millions of people have done ironmans, it’s not the fringe sport it was in the 80s. There’s already crappy go pro videos all over YouTube that make it seem like a really rare thing lol.

It’s like when I lived overseas for 7 years, I could never believe how often I’d meet somebody who had been overseas for like 6 months talking about how they were going to write a book and start a travel blog....it’s lile dude, millions and millions of people have already been there and done that.

Ask me anything -

3 weeks? I like the ambition. Good luck bro.

Back