Signed up for 1st Ironman

Hey guys- I'm signed up to participate in my first triathalon- Ironman Florida-
Ask me anything -

Its my 1st triathalon - I've never competed in running, swimming or cycling - so this is all new to me. A friend of mine talked me into doing it with him- I started training for it 3 weeks ago- I'm following the prescribed workouts in the book "Ironman - start to finish".
Anyways, swimming is a mother bitch, running sucks, and cycling for more than 30 minutes hurts my taint.

Any suggestions/ tips/advice from you training animals?

After listening to JRE podcasts focusing on ultra-marathons, I'm kicking around the idea of doing one.

There's one in Colorado that's 100 miles, and it has to be completed within 25 hours. The route isn't a track, but a trail with steep inclines and declines.

I'm more of a natural runner, rather than a weightlifter. In my peak physical condition I've ran 2 miles in 13:40, and did ruck sack marches at Ft. Knox. I can naturally stay awake for much longer than 25 hours, so that's not a problem.

I'd need a year of training, and will probably start whenever I stop truckdriving in late 2019.

Dang- good for you! Where r u driving? The Balkans?

Dang- good for you! Where r u driving? The Balkans?

Central and Eastern United States.

Been doing it for 4 years, full time, getting out of debt and saving up money.

I'll be completely debt-free and have over 100k in the bank by late next year. Want to move on with life and do something different.

The longer I've been in this truck, the more I've realized its the best prison cell imaginable, but still a prison cell I eventually want to escape.

I'll be completely debt-free and have over 100k in the bank by late next year.

Monica!

giphy.gif

Lol at going all the way to Ironman distance from nothing. Should have started with sprint distance first. Swim 2.4m alone could kill you. Anyway, good luck. I also love triathlon

After listening to JRE podcasts focusing on ultra-marathons, I'm kicking around the idea of doing one.

There's one in Colorado that's 100 miles, and it has to be completed within 25 hours. The route isn't a track, but a trail with steep inclines and declines.

I'm more of a natural runner, rather than a weightlifter. In my peak physical condition I've ran 2 miles in 13:40, and did ruck sack marches at Ft. Knox. I can naturally stay awake for much longer than 25 hours, so that's not a problem.

I'd need a year of training, and will probably start whenever I stop truckdriving in late 2019.

That's a worthy goal man , but have to ask why straight to an ultra ? Weird shit starts to happen once you get around 3 hours of running ( about 20 miles for an average schmoe ) Have you ever felt what its like to bonk , to have your body switch tanks so to speak ? Ever run ( not walked) 30 or more miles in a week.....how about for weeks on end ? Don't underestimate the amount of time it takes to build a good base , its probably considerably more than a year for most non gifted people.

Why not train for a full marathon first ? Its a managble goal , doable in a year. You'll make a lot mistakes , learn a lot in the process , and the leap from there to an ultra will be much smoother.

Why not train for a full marathon first ? Its a managble goal , doable in a year. You'll make a lot mistakes , learn a lot in the process , and the leap from there to an ultra will be much smoother.

I'll be doing a few 'test runs' like running on a treadmill for 12+ hours at a 12 minute pace at variable inclines, and run whatever marathons I can find locally.

I know 100 miles is no joke, and I'll be doing more serious research as the date approaches I begin the training.

Central and Eastern United States.

Been doing it for 4 years, full time, getting out of debt and saving up money.

I'll be completely debt-free and have over 100k in the bank by late next year. Want to move on with life and do something different.

The longer I've been in this truck, the more I've realized its the best prison cell imaginable, but still a prison cell I eventually want to escape.
cool- my brother is a trucker - makes bank- I couldn't handle driving that much though!

Lol at going all the way to Ironman distance from nothing. Should have started with sprint distance first. Swim 2.4m alone could kill you. Anyway, good luck. I also love triathlon
I like to live dangerously!

Update: today I swam for 30 minutes- biked for 51 miles and ran for 20 minutes. My ass is sore-
The workout called for a 2.5 hour ride- Im happy with the 51 miles I did. I only had to get up 1 time to let the circulation back to my "taint".
5 weeks ago, I couldnt bike longer than 30 minutes - yea me!

How's the training going dude? Still at it ?
Still grinding away- thanks for asking! Going good- tired today- ive been running up some steep mountain trails which is helping everything - my cardio is really improving. Swimming is still a weak area, but that too is improving. Did a bike work out today, so my "taint" is a little sore!

This is really impressive. What was your bike split?

I’d have to go back and look up the exact times but it was about 4:55 and my marathon was right around 3:30. That’s a flat course all around though, lots of people go 30+ minutes in Florida compared to their other races.

I used to love the local sprint series races, there were like 20 of them in my state, some more prestigious and competitive than others but lots had hard core competition and massive bragging rights, others were smaller, low key and farther away....easy to win.

Back