Signed up for 1st Ironman

I’d have to go back and look up the exact times but it was about 4:55 and my marathon was right around 3:30. That’s a flat course all around though, lots of people go 30+ minutes in Florida compared to their other races.

4:55. Wow.

My old man - long past racing - body is looking to do a solo 5hr century on a regular road bike by end of summer.

This is really impressive. What was your bike split?

The thing that always bugged me about that particular race is that on that day, conditions were absolutely perfect, it was cool, the tail winds were helping, I’ve always felt like I could have gone 10 minutes faster on the bike and 10+ faster on the run.

The thing that always bugged me about that particular race is that on that day, conditions were absolutely perfect, it was cool, the tail winds were helping, I’ve always felt like I could have gone 10 minutes faster on the bike and 10+ faster on the run.

Isn't the bike course out-and-back? Was it humid? Most people underestimate the effect of humidity on air density.

4:55. Wow.

My old man - long past racing - body is looking to do a solo 5hr century on a regular road bike by end of summer.

I was at cat2 cyclist and a really good time trialist so cranking out good bike splits at triathlons was the easiest part of it all for me. I’m still pretty good at running even though I don’t take it all that seriously these days. At Olympic distince triathlons is often have a top 3 if not #1 fastest bike split.

And good for your dad, I stepped away from cycling awhile back just because of the time involved. Getting dressed, getting the bike set up, then 3-6 hours for a workout just wore me out after a decade or so. Running I can just throw shoes on and go for a hard 30-60 minutes. Plus to really race bicycles you need to be an actual Ive member of a team, I can just show up to a 5k, 10k or a marathon.

The only biking I do these days is riding one of those fat tire bikes on more adventure/expedition. Type stuff here in Alaska, I’ll head out for a few days or a week and take a trailer with a pack raft and camping gear, ride on beaches, frozen rivers etc.

Good luck buddy!
I did a shorter ultra a few years ago, 55km with 5000ft elevation gain. It ruined running for me for a year or so, but it was worth it for the experience.
Keep on with the updates!

I’ve wrenched at 7-8 IM events and am certified in 2 different bike fit systems. I managed a collection of shops in Texas, a few of them bring really committed to Tri.
My advice:
-get a fitting on your bike by someone who does tri fits
-pay for a nice saddle. Specialized and Shimano have best saddles in the business.
-buy shoes at a specialty run store where that can analyze your walk and run.
-Pay for a good fit on your road bike and make sure it’s tuned up nicely 10 days before the race
-start with a half but it sounds too late, lol

Where in Texas? I have a couple friends that do them in the Houston area that have been trying to get me into it.

And good for your dad, I stepped away from cycling awhile back just because of the time involved. Getting dressed, getting the bike set up, then 3-6 hours for a workout just wore me out after a decade or so. Running I can just throw shoes on and go for a hard 30-60 minutes. Plus to really race bicycles you need to be an actual Ive member of a team, I can just show up to a 5k, 10k or a marathon.

The only biking I do these days is riding one of those fat tire bikes on more adventure/expedition. Type stuff here in Alaska, I’ll head out for a few days or a week and take a trailer with a pack raft and camping gear, ride on beaches, frozen rivers etc.

That’s kind of how i am, I just trail ride every now and then now where as I used to ride hard and run every week.

Getting old sucks.

Where in Texas? I have a couple friends that do them in the Houston area that have been trying to get me into it.

That’s kind of how i am, I just trail ride every now and then now where as I used to ride hard and run every week.

Getting old sucks.

For me it’s not really getting old, there’s dudes kicking ass at triathlons and cycling into their 60s. I’m just scared of getting hit by cars while out cycling.

Good luck TS. I want to work my way up to this curl contest

I saw their starting weight and was like lol I can buck that then I saw the last bit and was like nope.

I'd love to do that too.

For me it’s not really getting old, there’s dudes kicking ass at triathlons and cycling into their 60s. I’m just scared of getting hit by cars while out cycling.
Not so much age but lack of free time chasing kids etc

Not so much age but lack of free time chasing kids etc

Yeah maybe it’s part of getting old but I just do to spend 20 hours a week cycling anymore....and the cars. I can jump on my mountain bike, head out frommmy front door and rip a loop for an hour or 2, I like that. When I have longer periods of time off work I can put together a trip for 5-10 days which is great too.

I saw their starting weight and was like lol I can buck that then I saw the last bit and was like nope.

I'd love to do that too.

Damn, I wish I would have known about that years back, I always had a massive curl weight proportional to my weight. Even in high school, maybe even especially then.

I used to curl an Olympic bar with a plate and 25’s on each side for reps.

One day we were in the field house and some sophomores where benching plates and a 35 trying to max out and couldn’t put the weight up and Lattimer(my buddy Jarrod but everyone called him lattimer from the movie the program, it was very fitting) asks me, “do you think you can get that up?”
Now I knew he meant curl, everybody on varsity was always jacking around about how much I could curl, and I say
“I don’t know man maybe”
The guys benching were like, no way(thinking lattimer meant bench)

I walk around behind the bench and they have this confused look on their faces with the one guy still sitting on the end of the bench,

I snatched it up and put it up twice, couldn’t make 3 reps.

Their fucking jaws hit the floor.

After that everyone always wanted to see me put it up, I got up to 3 strict reps by the end of senior year, never could get 4 up and never tried that dumb shit as I got older and bigger, used to hurt bad after I’d do it.

I think I weighted 175 or 80 when i did that , shredded ripped, and only got up to 192 or so by the time I graduated.

I was 225 by sophomore year in college and almost as cut.

Even if i had kept at it , with the weight I put on and went up in weight as I would I doubt the body weight to curl weight would have been better.

Back