Since Ward doesn't seem to do the whole comeback thing ...

HelpYouFall

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I really thought the whole retirement thing by Ward was just a temporary thing at first. But I start to feel like the guy might have hung 'em for good. There were some hints throughout the year, but nothing seemed to really mount to anything.

So what do you think? He's gone for good? And if so, do you rank him as an all time great? First round HOF'er?

Ward_Kovalev_3_by_Khristopher_Sandifer.jpeg-530x317.jpg

Fuck, I miss SOG.

He cleaned out a tough division stopped the lineal light heavyweight champ then beat the " man" at 175 twice.

He had the perfect modern boxing career

He was good but not All time Great good.

He was good but not All time Great good.
How can you make a statement like that? He beat everyone he came up against and fought everyone who was willing to fight him

One of my favourite fighters ever. Fantastic boxer for kids to look up to- unfortunately never got as big PPV fame as others.

When he did the contender that sealed the deal for me that he was done for good

How can you make a statement like that? He beat everyone he came up against and fought everyone who was willing to fight him
If you are considered an all time great than that means you are basically competing for GOAT of that weight class, and I dont think hes GOAT material, maybe at 168
Not enough great wins tho.

Which weight class are you saying hes an all time great in?
168 or 175

I really thought the whole retirement thing by Ward was just a temporary thing at first. But I start to feel like the guy might have hung 'em for good. There were some hints throughout the year, but nothing seemed to really mount to anything.

So what do you think? He's gone for good? And if so, do you rank him as an all time great? First round HOF'er?

Ward_Kovalev_3_by_Khristopher_Sandifer.jpeg-530x317.jpg

Fuck, I miss SOG.

Kovalev has that picture of himself framed in a 8 ft by 5 ft canvas. It’s called Afro-sweat!

If you are considered an all time great than that means you are basically competing for GOAT of that weight class, and I dont think hes GOAT material, maybe at 168
Not enough great wins tho.

Which weight class are you saying hes an all time great in?
168 or 175
most of his work was at 168.

you can only beat the guys who are in front of you. at 168 who is better? Roy Jones comes to mind but thats about it.

you can only beat the guys who are in front of you. at 168 who is better? Roy Jones comes to mind but thats about it.

Joe Calzaghe, Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank and Steve Collins are the first ones I can think of, but them being better than Andre Ward could definitely be debated.

I think he will come back, potentially for a fight against the Usyk/Bellew winner.

First round HOF no question.

Joe Calzaghe, Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank and Steve Collins are the first ones I can think of, but them being better than Andre Ward could definitely be debated.
Sven Ottke wasn't better but his number of defenses(21) is something to be considered

Roy, Toney, I'd take Hearns at 168. Probably a few more.

Sven Ottke wasn't better but his number of defenses(21) is something to be considered

I agree and I personally think he is an underrated Boxer, but I'm a fan of his, so I'm bias haha

everyone claimed ward left to avoid a third Kovalev fight.. I think people are woken to the fact that's not the case. Also the quick stoppage/should have been a dq BS. I think less people buy into seeing how Kovalev was hurt badly again since and couldn't survive.

I liked Ward I would have loved to see him fight other champs.

Dont see it happening now, sadly. I hoped for one more go around.

That said, he deserves his health and retirement so good for him.

I loved the Super Six tournament. I think Ward will go down as an all-time great.

I personally hope he stays retired. I think often times top athletes come back after retiring and are not as good. I remember when Michael Jordan came back after his last retirement and was not as good. I view Ward kind of like GSP in MMA. I think both should stay retired. I think both have had great careers.

There is no ATG that would not have had at least very hard time against Ward, if not a loss (or two).

He retired 32-0 with wins against the best he could face (Kessler, Froch, Kovalev) and always looked in control even when the going was tough. Shame he lost so many years over contractual bullshit.

Should be a first round HoF without question, but being a superb boxer isn’t the same thing as being a great one, so who knows.

Great fighter, but he should have lost the first Kovalev fight. Honest judging would put his career in a different light.

Back