Sitting at the nerd table with Bubble Boy and crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good shit. Nice job on gettin' the bronze.

I have no clue WTF you are talking about when you say shit like:
Remember to go for ouchi gari first, stabilize, then work from there for uchimata, harai, sumi gaeshi, or back to ouchi. Don't forget ouchi.

Ouchi sounds like it hurts. Or at least it's how I sound when I get hurt.

Good shit. Nice job on gettin' the bronze.

I have no clue WTF you are talking about ....

MOM, here's the over the shoulder grip:

khaba_09_k.jpg

Here it is with the Ouchi "hook" I'm talking about. The Ouchi Gari is the foot hook that the guys right leg is doing to the other guys left leg:

khaba_11_k.jpg

To decode my Judolish: If I don't get that leg hook in there, it's a dangerous technique: i.e. easy for me to get countered. If you look at the first pic, it's easy to see that the white gi guy could just pick up the dark gi guy and throw him down.

If you look at the second picture, there's virtually nothing the guy in the white gi can do. Once the dark gi guy has established everything as in picture 2, it's very, VERY difficult to counter, and a throw (by dark gi guy) is imminent.

The hard part is working in to that grip in the first place. It takes a lot of work.

More tourney stuff:

Cardio could be better. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great...Everybody in my group was huffing and puffing pretty good. I could get my cardio better. I've got a decent base though.

2008 GOAL:
More LSD, more rolling. Keep sprints and hills.

My general strength was fine.
But there was one time when me and the other guy went to the ground together. After a brief scramble we ended up basically kneeling but just about to teeter each other over: we were frozen for a second, tied...then he over powered me and tipped me into a kesa gatame.
That kind of pissed me off.
It felt like maybe some arm strength (grip strength included) and some rotational strength was lacking for me. Yeah, pissed me off.

2008 GOAL:

Work on arm, grip, and core strength more.

Way to go, Bubbles!

Re: Long Slow Distance running -- if it's working for ya, cool. Personally, I think I'd opt for higher-intensity steady running over shorter distances/times. Like, 20 minutes at a steady, fairly hard pace.

Dammit. My big ass Superheavyweight sparring partner gets me with those throws all the time (the fall backwards flip ones.)
Good stuff though. More sandbags/ complexes in the future, eh?

Dammit. My big ass Superheavyweight sparring partner gets me with those throws all the time (the fall backwards flip ones.)
Good stuff though. More sandbags/ complexes in the future, eh?

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. Also more wrestling with a heavy bag also.

Hey registered: Yves Klein's Granddaughter is in our judo kids class and took silver at this last tournament. What do you think of that? ! :)

Thanks Flak.
Here's the tournament footage from 2 of my matches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWIzfPZX1fg

good stuff dude

if i can be so bold as to give any advise mine would be that u need to be more aggressive during newaza

i counted 16 seconds u sat the in an open gaurd and never attempted to pass

u could have pwned that dude once u passed, ur ground work is a lot better then u let on

see attached photo
jdhh1.jpg

good stuff dude

if i can be so bold as to give any advise mine would be that u need to be more aggressive during newaza

i counted 16 seconds u sat the in an open gaurd and never attempted to pass

u could have pwned that dude once u passed, ur ground work is a lot better then u let on

see attached photo
jdhh1.jpg

yeah I see no pelvic movements neither :icon_chee

BTW what were the penalties for? you didn't stomped the guy, no soccer kicks ... ???

ps:
against such a slow (on video) take down try you did just great to lower his head ... but what about rotate and take his back? could be an idea?

Bubbles the flying arm bar works 100% of the time..... I think you should go for that

Hans:

I totally agree. I wimp out on the ground work in Judo tournaments because it seems like I expend a great amount of energy working for a position, finally get there, and the freakin' refs stand us up.
So, yeah, I'll admit it. I was catching my breath instead of pushing the action.
Good point, so...

2008 GOAL:
Push the action in newaza.

For some reason I thought w had talked about Yves Klein before...my bad.

On the pelvic movement: I'm so tight it's not even funny. So I'm going to really work on loosening up my hips, so to speak. I really noticed it this tournament.
I'm going to start doing this kind of floor exercise a couple times a week:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hut7zYx5RII
Also yoga, pilates, and even a little belly dancing with my wife. Plus focus on moving my hips in Judo class of course.

I still don't know what the penalties were for. No clue. I felt like I was pushing the action, going for stuff, when penalized, so I don't know?

And I agree with you on going for taking the back. I'm with you and Hans 100% on this: I need to do more newaza in tournaments.

Missus:

Thanks. I'll do better next time.

Kevin:

I miss your crazy training sessions that you used to lead. That was some good stuff mang. :icon_sad:
You know what? Next tourament I'll go for a flying arm bar. Afterwards I'll point at the camera, and you'll know it was just for you. It's on.

Hans:

I totally agree. I wimp out on the ground work in Judo tournaments because it seems like I expend a great amount of energy working for a position, finally get there, and the freakin' refs stand us up.
So, yeah, I'll admit it. I was catching my breath instead of pushing the action.
Good point, so...

2008 GOAL:
Push the action in newaza.

YEA JUST THINK PASS FROM NOW UNTIL AFTER YOUR FIGHT
NO STALLING ITS go time!

12-10-2007

Floor monkey drills

Kept busy for 60 minutes doing:
shrimping (forward and back)
body hopping
somersaults
rolls: backwards, forwards
samurai walk
wrestlers shoots
and other agility / flexibility moves on the ground
Climbed the rope twice.
Thai kicked the heavy bag for 3 minutes to finish.

Really a tiring workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back