Skipping?

Ballsaque

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice on learning to skip more effectively?

Right now i can only do the double jump like a retard,the alternating feet throws off my rythm immensely.

Anyone have some advice to get better at this ? Just practice, or is there some trick here im not aware off?

Just practice dude. You gotta fuck it up a hundred times or more before you start to get it. Once you got single foot other stuff comes easier.

Also, watch the pros skip rope! Have fun with it. I'm trying to master the rope skip tricks as well.

Started counting as far as I could go without messing up, when I got over a hundred I started just working on different footwork slowly. Also, try this no rope workout if you get totally disheartened.

I love skipping, but lately it's made my shin splits flare up really badly. Probably because my gym floor is rock hard.

I'd definitely suggest jumping on a mat or something if you have the option. I don't.....but I may need to come up with something because it's becoming a real problem.

I skip like a pro after a few years working on it. I can do side sprints 20 feet forward and backwards, multiple crossovers, alternating legs, double unders etc..

It’s a badass warmup, fun as hell, gets you in the zone...basically I love it.

You have to be willing to look like a fool learning for a long time though

I used to hate skipping because I always felt there was a coordination issue and my legs would give out before my heart (opposed to running)

Now I've come to embrace it. what I found really helps was just making it fun. Doing different things than just hopping up and down, or alternating, etc.

side to side, crosses, double jumps, swining side to side, etc. come up with different methods and you end up having fun with it and feel motivated to practice more, and you'll get better.

also if your legs give out, slow down the "RPM" since your legs won'y be able to keep up with the revolutions of the spins, and you'll end up tripping up which will be frustrating

When I learned as a kid I used plastic washing line tied in knots, used to end up with massive welts on the back of my hamstrings or on my bag- learned pretty fast lol!

It is just practice though unfortunately, just concentrate on alternating feet while skipping normally without the rope stopping (as opposed to trying to be fast). As a poster above said try and skip on a wooden floor or mat (the softer the mat the harder the workout too, its like running on sand)

Anyone have any advice on learning to skip more effectively?

Right now i can only do the double jump like a retard,the alternating feet throws off my rythm immensely.

Anyone have some advice to get better at this ? Just practice, or is there some trick here im not aware off?
More than anything it's just practice and repetition but keep at it, rope work is the shizznit, way better than running. It helps if you can use a mirror while you are learning because you can see the problems in your form right away.

One thing that helped me getting multiple doubles dialed is to keep in mind that it's really not about the jump and getting really high, doubles are really all about the wrists/swing. When you screw a double up it's almost always an upper body/timing mistake, so focus there, while keeping your jumps consistent.

But really, just practice... more you do, better you get

I used to hate skipping because I always felt there was a coordination issue and my legs would give out before my heart (opposed to running)

Now I've come to embrace it. what I found really helps was just making it fun. Doing different things than just hopping up and down, or alternating, etc.

side to side, crosses, double jumps, swining side to side, etc. come up with different methods and you end up having fun with it and feel motivated to practice more, and you'll get better.

also if your legs give out, slow down the "RPM" since your legs won'y be able to keep up with the revolutions of the spins, and you'll end up tripping up which will be frustrating

Yeah but i suck too much to do any of that :'(

Yeah but i suck too much to do any of that :'(
It takes time, took me awhile before I moved on past hopping with both feet.

Make the spins slow, and add maybe a "fun" trick every now and then, say you do 3 x 2min rounds, every 20-30 seconds add a double jump, then progress from there.

Back