Nintendo Sky News journalist tells teenage Tetris champ to "Go outside. Beating Tetris is not a life goal".

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score

Sky News presenter criticised for telling teenage Tetris champ to ‘go outside’​

tetris-sky-news-1024x576.jpg

Last month, Oklahoma teenager Willis Gibson became an internet sensation after he was crowned the first known person to ‘beat’ the original Tetris game on the NES by reaching its true ‘kill screen’, wherein the game crashes.

Previously, it was believed that only AI could reach Tetris’s kill screen, but teenager Gibson managed it, and this week footage of his stunned reaction attracted mainstream coverage across the globe.

“It’s never been done by a human before,” said Vince Clemente, the president of the Classic Tetris World Championship. “It’s basically something that everyone thought was impossible until a couple of years ago.”

However, one broadcaster attracted more attention than others on Thursday, for how its presenter appeared to mock Gibson’s achievement.

51-year-old Sky News journalist Jayne Secker covered the Tetris story during a live broadcast on Thursday. At the end of the segment, Secker appeared to break from script, stating: “As a mother, I would just say step away from the screen, go outside, get some fresh air. Beating Tetris is not a life goal.”

Perhaps unsurprisingly, footage of the Sky News broadcast – captured by VGC’s Chris Scullion – attracted criticism from many high profile members of the video game industry on social media.

Bhavina Bharkhada, head of comms at the UK’s games industry trade body UKIE, wrote: “What’s bonkers about how this has been covered is if it was, say a child chess champion, we’d all be celebrating – they’d even be invited to Downing Street to play chess.”

Rare’s Becky Frost commented: “’Beating Tetris is not a life goal’ …yeah, for YOU, Sandra. How many world records had YOU set at 13 years old? What a small-minded, smug & horrible way to belittle this kid’s achievement. As A MoTheR I’d be super fucking proud. This took skill & determination, brilliant job!”

Sumo Digital community manager Jimmy Bowers wrote “As a Dad, I can safely tell you if Kit beat an unbeatable game and set a world record at 13 I’d be incredibly proud. That comment was so outdated and in such poor taste to basically punch down on a child I’m almost lost for words.”

Many users noted that Gibson’s own mother, a school teacher, had already commented publicly about her support for her Son’s competitive Tetris career.

“I’m actually OK with it,” she told the New York Times. “He does other things outside of playing Tetris, so it really wasn’t that terribly difficult to say OK. It was harder to find an old CRT TV than it was to say, ‘Yeah, we can do this for a little bit.’”

Last edited:
Then boy/girl/otherwise they asks "Why does this happen? Was it bad code? My fault of mine? #Satan?"

And then they was create game empire from learning experience and retire at 22 while she was still look for rich husband.

Lol at your goals and Anti-American narratives, silly lady.

Says the woman who sits on her arse inside and talks for a living.

Imaging if a 50 year old bloke said that to a 13 year old girl.

Last edited:
LOL @ "not a life goal". Is playing outside in a tree house a "life goal"?
Joke's gonna be on her when WW4 comes around and this kid is the world's top ace outmaneuvering even the best A.I. in the high-flying, high-risk, high-pussy world later dramatized in the cinematic series installment, Top Gun: Drone Warfare.

The saddest part of the comment about it says less about her fitness to be a news anchor, and more about her fitness to be a mother.

This kid looks like he's eight and lives in Oklahoma. I can only imagine how "fun" going to school is for him.

what is the ultimate goal of life, and what would happen to earths gravitational force If little me didn't
achieve that goal?

It's probably the right message but there's an appropriate time and place and a tv interview ain't it.

Joke's gonna be on her when WW4 comes around and this kid is the world's top ace outmaneuvering even the best A.I. in the high-flying, high-risk, high-pussy world later dramatized in the cinematic series installment, Top Gun: Drone Warfare.
Jokes on you
WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones

He’ll prob make more money she does at less than half her age
This is the truth right here.

Besides the joking around, this kid has a talent that no one in history ever had. Sure he used it for playing a video game but who knows where else he could apply it?

Shitting on him is terribly inappropriate.

Reminds me of a Steve Harvey special where he recalled a teacher making fun of him for telling people he was going to be on television. His father supported the idea so Steve practiced in front of his mirror for years until he got to where he is today.

I wasn't kidding with my haters gonna hate comment and gif....

Beating Tetris is still a more worthwhile, notable achievement than anything she's done.

Back