Skyrim question

Lvnvmma

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not much into gaming, but I did play Skyrim and I'm replaying it again.

I got my Enchanting to 100 and got all the perks.

I got my blacksmithing to 80.

I made the glass armor set. I'm mainly an archer and currently wearing a helm that has +30% bow damage. The helm is a random drop and has low armor rating. I want to equip the glass armor set to gain the bonus armor rating from the perk.

I tried enchanting a glass helm with a grand soul gem and only got a +16%. I thought for sure it would be something like 50% or so since I got my enchanting to 100.

I made the glass armor set. I'm mainly an archer and currently wearing a helm that has +30% bow damage. The helm is a random drop and has low armor rating. I want to equip the glass armor set to gain the bonus armor rating from the perk.

I tried enchanting a glass helm with a grand soul gem and only got a +16%. I thought for sure it would be something like 50% or so since I got my enchanting to 100.
Make a set of +enchanting armor and drink a enchanting potion.
That is basically the recipe for all the crazy perfect sets: enchant a set of enchanting cloths, a set of armorer cloths, a set of alchemy cloths and get to min/maxing.

That said I think it is a mistake to try this sort of stuff in Bethesda games since you naturally overpower the game with levels and gear no matter what you do.

First, enchant some gloves or something that improve your smithing skills and make your own glass helmet while wearing them. Then, enchant some other article that lets you improve your enchanting, and enchant the helmet while wearing that. Also, select any enchanting perks that will help with that specifically when you level up.

Looks awful now and the combat isn't as good.

literally everything else is better and I'm sure there are plenty of mods to improve both those aspects.
Preplaced loot will ALWAYS be better than level bound crap.

You won't be able to enchant stuff as strong as the best random drops (without bugging or extreme exploits). Get the Arcane Blacksmith perk (unlocks at Smithing 60 I believe) so you can get the high armor rating.

literally everything else is better and I'm sure there are plenty of mods to improve both those aspects.
Preplaced loot will ALWAYS be better than level bound crap.

You're sure? When's the last time you actually played it? When you swing at an enemy and hit them, you should deal damage. I don't know of any mod that fixes that.

That's one thing, there are a ton of issues with that game. The leveling system is broken. Choosing your major skills to be the ones you use all the time will leave you underpowered and weak. The best way to level up is to pick a class you don't want to play as and then only use those skills when you're ready to level. Dumb.

Cliff racers were so bad they wrote them into extinction.

AI sucks compared to the newer games. NPCs just stand around and don't do anything.

Morrowind was awesome for it's time, but it hasn't aged well. There's no reason to go back to it and there's no mod that fixes the janky combat, animations or character models. I'd rather go back to Oblivion. And if the loot is so important to you then just download a loot mod.

Last edited:
You're sure? When's the last time you actually played it? When you swing at an enemy and hit them, you should deal damage. I don't know of any mod that fixes that.

That's one thing, there are a ton of issues with that game. The leveling system is broken. Choosing your major skills to be the ones you use all the time will leave you underpowered and weak. The best way to level up is to pick a class you don't want to play as and then only use those skills when you're ready to level. Dumb.

AI sucks compared to the newer games. NPCs just stand around and don't do anything.

Morrowind was awesome for it's time, but it hasn't aged well. There's no reason to go back to it and there's no mod that fixes the janky combat, animations or character models. I'd rather go back to Oblivion. And if the loot is so important to you then just download a loot mod.
The “broken” leveling system you are talking about is from oblivion. I’m currently playing Morrowind and it’s probably my sixth or seventh full play through not counting all the weird just for fun builds that I never end up finishing because while viable are just too difficult for me to grind through. I’ve never beaten Skyrim because it’s boring trash with a shit main quest. The only thing Skyrim has going for it are graphics.

The “broken” leveling system you are talking about is from oblivion. I’m currently playing Morrowind and it’s probably my sixth or seventh full play through not counting all the weird just for fun builds that I never end up finishing because while viable are just too difficult for me to grind through. I’ve never beaten Skyrim because it’s boring trash with a shit main quest. The only thing Skyrim has going for it are graphics.

You realize it's the same leveling system right? The major/minor skills system. It was trash and thankfully Skyrim got rid of it.

If you enjoy it it's because you like to metagame with that shit system. Most people don't want to micromanage to that level. I want to play the damn game, not worry about which skills I can or can't use and how often.

I tried playing Morrowind a couple years ago. The janky combat and animations were too awful. Everyone walking around like they need to take a shit. And the questing isn't nearly as fun when everyone has the exact same thing to say.

Last edited:
The leveling is broken in oblivion because the enemies level with you eliminating any sense of progression which defeats the entire purpose of leveling. Enjoy your 1000hp bandits wearing daedric armor. Also sounds like you just don’t like rpgs very much, Skyrim was made for casuals so I can see why you would prefer it.

I just looked up there's no enchanting for equipment, only potions

Also, is grand soul gem the one that gives you the best results when enchanting?

Also, I went with the light armor route, but I'm doin the shield+sword combo

I'm mainly an archer, but now that my archery is maxed, i gotta go a different route to get XP points.

Last edited:
I kind of want to go back and play this game again. I need a good idea for a character build though.

Is Skyrim like Fallout where you start off by allocating points to stats(SPECIAL) and then you can add to those stats when you level up and unlock certain perks?

Agreed, while I have fond memories of Morrowind, it's fucking unplayble to me now.

Is Skyrim like Fallout where you start off by allocating points to stats(SPECIAL) and then you can add to those stats when you level up and unlock certain perks?

Pre-determined based on race. But the perks systems are kind of similar.

In Morrowind, the first thing I’d do is head to Caldera, Sneak around some lady’s table until I got the skill to 100, then stole a bunch of shit and paid a master trainer in archery, to 100. 100 Agility made the game a lot easier as it took out the issue of bullshit hit and misses.

With that said, my best times were with Morrowind as a teenager. Exploring it was fascinating.

I liked Oblivion as well, but I was annoyed that I couldn’t do a lot of the overpowered things (such as leaping over mountains) that I did do in Morrowind.

I couldn’t finish Skyrim and I really tried to like it. I liked the dragons but I found the environment to be quite underwhelming in comparison to the previous two titles. I’d like to try the enchanting thing for a bow though...

Maybe it’s just age?

Also, is grand soul gem the one that gives you the best results when enchanting?

Save your Black Soul Gem's for Enchanting bro. They're the best. Although you gotta make sure they've captured Grand level souls from elite baddies because it's possible your Black/Grand Soul Gems are charged with lesser souls from Skeevers or whatever the fuck. iirc it'll tell you what level they're charged to in the UI somewhere

Mammoths and Draugr Deathlords are good sources for Grand Souls

Kind of like it. There's perk charts for whatever specialty you want to specialize in and points to put in health, magic or stamina.

Save your Black Soul Gem's for Enchanting bro. They're the best. Although you gotta make sure they've captured Grand level souls from elite baddies because it's possible your Black/Grand Soul Gems are charged with lesser souls from Skeevers or whatever the fuck. iirc it'll tell you what level they're charged to in the UI somewhere

Mammoths and Draugr Deathlords are good sources for Grand Souls

I have 3 black gems. Basically I just choose the gem that has the hgihest number in value

Back