Slayer calling it quits in 2018

Saw them 4 times live.
I heard the news from my sister today, it's really depressing and makes me feel old.

First was at graspop Belgium 2002 they headlined. Most of that concert remains a blur but I remember Die By the Sword etc...
Then at 2005 also graspop. They seemed to play more "slower songs" like south of heaven & Dead skin...They also stopped a bit earlier, but it was a good tight show.
After that I quit going to metalgigs for a bit... I saw them again in 2013, we travelled all the way to the Netherlands to see them. It was like 6 hours drive. The played really good.
We also saw them again in 2014 again in Netherland at Fortarock, they had very bad sound then, a very weak show but I remember Captor of Sin sounding very cool.

So I saw them 4 times and however they played very similar setlists ofcourse they sounded a bit differant everytime.

Last edited:
<DCrying>how i'm feeling<Gordonhat>but thanks for the memories.

sNti6kl.jpg

{<redford}

I don't know if it's long overdue, I thought their last most recent album was one of their best since Divine Intervention. I liked the new guitar player they brought in to replace Jeff.

Divine Intervention was my first slayer cd, later taped many albums of them but only bought
Divine Intervention
Reign In Blood
Repentless

the others I copied on tape or disc. Most of the stuff after Divine was really meh... God hates Us All had Bloodline & Disciple on it which were topsongs but other than that it was really lame... Repentless is like Divine Intervention with a bit of God Hates Us all mixed in...

I think Kerry King had a really good idea what the fans really want from Slayer.

my mini review of Repentless:
Cj9whrkW0AAcZZ3.jpg

Some of the more interesting songs:

Implode:
Cliché Old School Slayer riff with a chaotic nonscale solo ending. First song they put out and it really caught my attention, especially the riff in the beginning.

When The Stillness comes:
Reminds me a bit of 213, what used to be my favourite slayer for a long time when i was a kid. It's slow and creepy intro that drags on for a bit and then get's on a steady beat later on... very cool.

You against You
: This is like a Hatebreed/Terror song (hardcore) but done in a slayer way. It works very well.
Many think this is the best song of the album.

Pride in Prejudice: This is like the most cliche deathmetal riff you sooner or later hear when you go to metalconcerts, it's slow, heavy & groovy. It's like a deathmetal song done the slayer way.

Repentless: Sounds like Disciple from God hates us all. this one made me buy the cd after hearing the first version of Implode.

Cast the first Stone: Some of slayer later songs are like 1 riff songs or just a blur of noise, this is very different in the fact it's really a complete well structured song.

Piano Wire: this is the last song Jeff worked on. Sadly it's one of the weaker songs of the album imo.

I have the album since 2015 and have been playing it a LOT. It's better than you think.

Went through my SLAYER phase, still listen to them in small doses like other genres. Ah to go or not to go, to me it only feels like half the band and after listening to what Lombardo said about how they treated him......and I dont think Holt looks the part either

Saw them twice, the better show had Fear Factory opening up for them.

Not surprised to see them decide to hang it up, aside from Hanneman dying, they are getting old now and alot of their older Reign in Blood-type songs are so fast they probably just cant or dont want to play them anymore.

Sad shit. One of my earliest concerts back on the South of Heaven tour. Band always brought the goods.

Sex. Murder. Art.

It sucks that they announce that its the final tour and then: 'Well tickets go on sale friday'...I guess I'll check them out one last time.
It will be my 9th. My first Slayer show was on the Divine Intervention tour at The Cotillion in Wichita, KS with Biohazard and Machine Head opening for them.
My favorite show was with the original line-up at the Ozfest one year with Judas Priest and Sabbath.
Damnit! If Sir Elton can go another couple why can't the mighty SLAYER?

Slayer, Pantera, Soulfly, Morbid Angel

It was actually Pantera, Slayer, Static-X, Skrape, and Morbid Angel, unbelievable show all the way, I went with a couple buddies from high school I was only 16, we got there early and seen every band play, Morbid Angel absolutely crushed it in front of an arena that was 3/4's empty. It was the first time I had ever seen or heard them, I went to the merch booth and bought Altars Of Madness immediately after their set I liked them so much.

Skrape and Static-X stick out of place looking back now but really their sets were fantastic too, Static-X especially threw down hard. For those bands to be on the bill playing in front of fans that came to see Pantera and Slayer they knew they had to fucking bring the goods and they did.

Slayer and Pantera that night though was something special, I think they were competing against each other to outdo each other that night, it was in Dallas Pantera's home town so Slayer really put everything they had in their set that night, they were so on point with every note, every solo, plus they were more physically into their performance than any other show I've seen them play be it live or on video, later Pantera fucking brought the house down, Phil said a couple of times during the set that it was probably going to be the last time we seem them for a while, turned out to be the last time ever, and they played like it was, one of the greatest nights of my life! It's a fucking shame there is no video footage from that concert anywhere to be found.

A lot of the performers from that night have passed away now, Dime was murdered in 2004, Jared Anderson singer for Morbid Angel at the time died a few years back, Wayne Static passed away a few years ago, Jeff Hanneman also passed.

It was actually Pantera, Slayer, Static-X, Skrape, and Morbid Angel, unbelievable show all the way, I went with a couple buddies from high school I was only 16, we got there early and seen every band play, Morbid Angel absolutely crushed it in front of an arena that was 3/4's empty. It was the first time I had ever seen or heard them, I went to the merch booth and bought Altars Of Madness immediately after their set I liked them so much.

Skrape and Static-X stick out of place looking back now but really their sets were fantastic too, Static-X especially threw down hard. For those bands to be on the bill playing in front of fans that came to see Pantera and Slayer they knew they had to fucking bring the goods and they did.

Slayer and Pantera that night though was something special, I think they were competing against each other to outdo each other that night, it was in Dallas Pantera's home town so Slayer really put everything they had in their set that night, they were so on point with every note, every solo, plus they were more physically into their performance than any other show I've seen them play be it live or on video, later Pantera fucking brought the house down, Phil said a couple of times during the set that it was probably going to be the last time we seem them for a while, turned out to be the last time ever, and they played like it was, one of the greatest nights of my life! It's a fucking shame there is no video footage from that concert anywhere to be found.

A lot of the performers from that night have passed away now, Dime was murdered in 2004, Jared Anderson singer for Morbid Angel at the time died a few years back, Wayne Static passed away a few years ago, Jeff Hanneman also passed.

I met Jared. Nice fella. Met Hanneman. Cool as hell. Met Vinnie. Nice guy.

The "Real Steel" tour was Pantera, Slayer, Morbid and Nothingface.. Iirc

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

giphy.gif

Shoulda called it quits after South Of Heaven tbf

Slayer, Testament, Anthrax, LoG, Behemoth. Anyone else get tickets?

I'm goin for this last tour, saw them a few times live over the years. I think they've been at it so lomg, and now with Hanneman gone.. It's a good time.

I'm glad I got to see them live. I still think they should have called it quits as a band when Jeff hanneman died. He was an integral part of the band, its legacy and its most important albums

they had some obligations jeff never took care of or it sounds like they would have called it quits sooner.

I saw them on that tour too! In 2001 in Hamilton ON, I got there early and saw all the bands as well. It was a fuckin amazing concert. I remember with Static X there was a guy on stage with a cast rocking out along with all their songs, my friend said it was their drummer and he broke his arm so they got a replacement, and I always thought that was really cool. Slayer was great but Pantera closed the show and they just fuckin killed it. I remember Kerry King came out and did a couple of songs with them as well.

I've seen Slayer 6 times:

98 with System of a Down and Clutch opening.

01 on Extreme Steel Tour as mentioned with Morbid Angel, Static X and Pantera closing.

02 with In Flames and Soulfly opening

04 opening for Judas Priest. When I was in line to go in to this concert I saw Sebastian Bach going through the American Express VIP line with some hot broad. He was only a few feet away and I yelled out "Hey Sebastian I Remember Yooooooouuuuuuu!" in my best impression and he just looked at me, didn't smile or nothing

06 with Lamb of God, Mastodon and Children of Bodom opening

2011 at Heavy TO which was an awesome big metal festival, actually it was 2 days I went both days. Slayer killed it, Rob Zombie closed the show that day but this gay local band called Billy Talent was there and I think they even played AFTER Slayer?? People were booing them and had signs like "Die Billy Die" and shit like that.

They're one of the greatest bands ever and I think them hanging it up now is a good idea because they're getting too old to be playing the kind of music they do every damn night and traveling so much. What a career, I have loved their albums but what really sets them apart is the experience of their live shows. The best concert I saw by them was in 2002 at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga.

Thats awesome, I'm jealous.

Nothing will ever top their set in Dallas that night with Pantera but I seen them a second time in San Antonio at Ozzfest 2004, another phenomenal set, they could have headlined that whole day and everyone would have went home very happy their set was that good, but then after they were done we got Judas Priest and Black Fucking Sabbath, the whole day was like a dream come true for a metal head like me at the time.

Third and last time I seen them was Jagermiester tour in Fall of 2003 in Houston in a smaller venue with Hatebreed, Arch Enemy and third band I can't remember. This wasn't as good as the first 2 times I seen them but still really good, they closed their set playing the entire Reign In Blood album.

I wouldn't mind seeing them one more time just for old times sake, I may try to catch them on this farewell tour.

I remember seeing them live in 2012 or so, performance was lazy as shit.

Back