Small wrists/bones impeding my progress

Venom

Lurker since '09
@Silver
Reaction score
I honestly believe after a couple years on and off that my wrists are the problem.

Every heavy box I used to lift at work, if my hand had to be bent a little, I would feel the stress on my carpals, A LOT.

Dimensions: the smallest part of my wrist (ulna + radius), is nearly 5.9 inches (15 cm) around and looking from above pronated view, the width is almost but not quite 2 inches (5.1 cm)

Examples

There are many times when I feel I could do farmer's carry for longer for example, if it weren't for my hands and wrist begging to let go.

Last week I was hitting pads and bags with 10 oz gloves, and I could not do very much, when my forearm strikes the arm of a bigger guy I end up with pain shooting across my entire forearm, it's embarrassing and painful.

Any suggestions. There are small women with larger, more stable forearms than me.

go buy an 8 lb maul. and a wedge if needed

(Edit you need a chainsaw for this) cut some downed tree into 18 inch logs

start splitting those logs for firewood

do 15 minutes a day

In one week your hands and forearms will be significantly tougher.

Last edited by a moderator:
go buy an 8 lb maul. and a wedge if needed

cut some downed tree into 18 inch logs

start splitting those logs for firewood

do 15 minutes a day

In one week your hands and forearms will be significantly tougher.

seems pretty practical exercise wise but....

Or go to tire store and ask for a throw away. Bonus points going to a heavy equipment tire warehouse, they'll give you 4-5ft tires so they don't have to pay to dispose. Beat it like your wood.

Or go to tire store and ask for a throw away. Bonus points going to a heavy equipment tire warehouse, they'll give you 4-5ft tires so they don't have to pay to dispose. Beat it like your wood.
I have a tire, but there is nothing like splitting wood. Just something masculine and primal about it.

I have a tire, but there is nothing like splitting wood. Just something masculine and primal about it.

Tire won't fatigue your forearm and hand like holding that wedge either. 2 days of stretching your fingers trying to get the cramps out.

Tire won't fatigue your forearm and hand like holding that wedge either. 2 days of stretching your fingers trying to get the cramps out.
I didn't have that problem myself. My problem would be overdoing it with my back.

But man, an awesome exercise for striking power and great for hands and forearms.

I didn't have that problem myself. My problem would be overdoing it with my back.

But man, an awesome exercise for striking power and great for hands and forearms.

knocking down 2 acres of oaks and using the wood as workouts, it would go over an hour most days. Thought I was a man and bought a 12 lb maul 1st, went back and got a smaller one after being exhausted swinging it. lol

If you have the resources, def recommend it

knocking down 2 acres of oaks and using the wood as workouts, it would go over an hour most days. Thought I was a man and bought a 12 lb maul 1st, went back and got a smaller one after being exhausted swinging it. lol

If you have the resources, def recommend it
Yeah man, 1 hr, that's some work there!

That would get you in incredible shape. I just had to do ab work when I used to do all that splitting. Cause my back would bet too overly strong and it hurt if I over did the splitting.

I assume that forearm strength = more stable wrist or fist?

So the idea is my bones don't hurt as much when I punch a tire or hit a hard 6 pack abs

I assume that forearm strength = more stable wrist or fist?

So the idea is my bones don't hurt as much when I punch a tire or hit a hard 6 pack abs
Just all your fingers, intrinsic muscles of the hand/forearms, and connective tissue gets used to swinging the ax or maul and delivering a blow or strike to split the wood.

I'm an average sized guy, and I mostly used an 8lb maul. But they have 6lb. and then 4 lb axes.

The wood is more effective than the tire. But I bet you'd see results with the tire too.

Just all your fingers, intrinsic muscles of the hand/forearms, and connective tissue gets used to swinging the ax or maul and delivering a blow or strike to split the wood.

I'm an average sized guy, and I mostly used an 8lb maul. But they have 6lb. and then 4 lb axes.

The wood is more effective than the tire. But I bet you'd see results with the tire too.

Interesting.

I'm 5'3" and 136 lbs, I assume my lean weight is like 120ish max

They can be built up in various ways, google it.

I used to work on a farm on weekends when I was a kid. Some of the girls working there were tiny but had impressive hand and wrist strength.

A bucket 5gal of rice would probably help too.

I was just thinking that.. I always have a heavy bag of rice in the pantry. I notice how its much more difficult to stablize a bag of rice or sand than a free weight too

I was just thinking that.. I always have a heavy bag of rice in the pantry. I notice how its much more difficult to stablize a bag of rice or sand than a free weight too
youtube hand exercises in bucket of rice.

I honestly believe after a couple years on and off that my wrists are the problem.

Every heavy box I used to lift at work, if my hand had to be bent a little, I would feel the stress on my carpals, A LOT.

Dimensions: the smallest part of my wrist (ulna + radius), is nearly 5.9 inches (15 cm) around and looking from above pronated view, the width is almost but not quite 2 inches (5.1 cm)

Examples

There are many times when I feel I could do farmer's carry for longer for example, if it weren't for my hands and wrist begging to let go.

Last week I was hitting pads and bags with 10 oz gloves, and I could not do very much, when my forearm strikes the arm of a bigger guy I end up with pain shooting across my entire forearm, it's embarrassing and painful.

Any suggestions. There are small women with larger, more stable forearms than me.

Masturbate more frequently.
Not just for pleasure but for strength n endurance. Till you develop blisters on your dk and corns on your hands.
Keep your diet up with plenty of protein (you'll need that) and plenty of fluids (you'll need that even more).

The beauty of this is that you don't have to be just at home to train this way. You can do it in the gym after your workout as a finisher. At the beach as part of a workout in the open or even on the subway on the way home.
You can even do it while waiting to pick up your kid from school or even a quick yank under the table at that social dinner at your in-laws.
There's literally no excuse to not be training every chance you get.

As a bonus, you'll meet a lot if like minded enthusiasts to widen your social circle.

another video

Nice.

I bought some gymnastics rings..difficult as hell. Most difficult exercises I've ever done.

And Captains of Crush training gripper and a 140 lb gripper as a goal.

Back