Smartphone Handgun in Production, Shipping to Dealers

On another firearm related note....

Inventor Wins Free Speech Battle with DOJ to Distribute 3D-Printed Gun Designs

The implications for this are interesting. Disarming has just become a little bit harder.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/07/10/free-speech-3-d-printed-gun/

The source may be an issue like it always is but the information is interesting regardless of the source and in keeping with the firearm related theme of the OT.

Seems like it was a restriction based around media hype (both of 3D printing and 3D printed guns).
Zip gun instructions have been around forever. Including for submachine guns (see "Expedient Home Made Firearms" by Luty). Although I think they're just distributed via the net these days rather than companies like Paladin Press or Loompanics.

As for this phone thing, maybe the guys just got small hands, but it doesn't even look particularly small or thin for a .380.
It does look crap though.

Sounds like it will cost a lot for a shitty phone and a shitty gun. 2 items that don't make sense to combine

It's not actually a phone.

Gimmicky how? Simply due to the slight curve of the design?
Well the combination of the unusual shape, belt clip built on, the light/laser built into the frame, sort of the whole package. It certainly stands out in a firearm case compared to everything else. There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just that it was hyped more than any other compact .380 for minor cosmetic differences. That’s why I believe the term “gimmicky” fits.

Edit: I consider it to be sort of like the Kimber Saphire. It was always advertised when we got one in, placed front and center, and showed off. There wasn’t anything all that revolutionary about it, it’s just blue. That’s the only difference. It was hyped, though, because it looked unusual, thus it was a gimmick to draw people’s eyes, and then you could sell them whatever.

Last edited:
I think the anti-gun crowd isn't going to be pleased and I wonder how quickly someone will shoot themselves in the head answering their phone?

https://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/07/10/smartphone-handgun-production-shipping-dealers/
Is anyone here interested in one of these? Seems like a cheesy gimmick to me. Also probably more dangerous to someone handling it not knowing it shoots. Sure, nobody else should have access to it, but can you really trust a guy who can't properly conceal a .380? Not to mention aim and recoil control.

Just get an App that makes gun sounds, it's cheaper.

The 'another reason to shoot crowd', not following police commands is like 98% of the reasons.

Christ on a sailboat, this is stupid.

Awful idea in every way.

In a true defensive situation pretty much anything can be used by the truly desperate. Now whether it will effective is another matter. Would this firearm be better than being unarmed altogether? Really depends on the situation, the user and how well the gun phone is designed. Overall, you'd be much better served with any of the existing proven firearm designs in a subcompact easily concealable platform.

The more gimmicky the firearm the more potentially unreliable, dangerous to ones self and easily "broken" in my opinion...for what that's worth.
This would be more hiding in plain sight. There just appears to be too many drawbacks to this design to make it practical. You'd probably be better able to defend yourself with a good knife. Are there any videos of someone actually drawing and firing this thing at a target?

Only way I'd buy one is if I could get an Otter Box for it.

This would be more hiding in plain sight. There just appears to be too many drawbacks to this design to make it practical. You'd probably be better able to defend yourself with a good knife. Are there any videos of someone actually drawing and firing this thing at a target?

It's just a .380 derringer with a fold out handle. I think the existing designs are probably better.
20130807_NewHero.gif

Not sure.

Unintentional Russian Roulette incoming.

Thats actually a good idea. You wouldnt know till too late

On another firearm related note....

Inventor Wins Free Speech Battle with DOJ to Distribute 3D-Printed Gun Designs

The implications for this are interesting. Disarming has just become a little bit harder.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/07/10/free-speech-3-d-printed-gun/

The source may be an issue like it always is but the information is interesting regardless of the source and in keeping with the firearm related theme of the OT.
This seems significant: "SAF founder and executive vice president Alan Gottlieb said, “Not only is this a First Amendment victory for free speech, it also is a devastating blow to the gun prohibition lobby. For years, anti-gunners have contended that modern semi-automatic sport-utility rifles are so-called ‘weapons of war,’ and with this settlement, the government has acknowledged they are nothing of the sort.

Back