SNL's The Californians skits - undiscovered LOLness

Kristin Wiig is awful.

giphy.gif

Like, I only discovered it, like, 45-ish minutes ago. Only seen two skits and it's a laugh fest.

I always thought shows like The OC are completely self-absorbed and I'm down with anything that makes fun of the Californian accent. It's hilarious because of the main SNL cast- the guest stars are cringe. Kristen Wiig is completely on the money. I lol everytime she says anything.

There are only eight skits ever apparently. I never watch SNL but I discovered the Stefon skits maybe two years ago.

Do people who live in LA always talk about driving directions?

Getting around in LA is a fucking nightmare. The traffic sucks so bad that it is baked into the culture. So yes, people talk about their commutes and the routes and roads taken.

Just lol at the people talking about the 405 in here. UGHHHH...

Last edited:
This is the first time I watched the first episode. LOL at how they can barely contain their laughter.

The dress rehearsal is funnier. They just straight up laugh at themselves.

Finally got to watch the Jeremy Renner one. He was horrible like most guests. I just love how Fred can't keep a straight face in this one.

Its embarrassing talking like that, but driving is half of your life in LA.

What's really funny is they explain my exact route to work sometimes down to the side streets in Sherman oaks. But they always talk about the hill streets where all the shitheads who lost touch are.

Its embarrassing talking like that, but driving is half of your life in LA.

What's really funny is they explain my exact route to work sometimes down to the side streets in Sherman oaks. But they always talk about the hill streets where all the shitheads who lost touch are.

Hey Elon. WhwhwhwhwrRRRyyyOOuuDDdddooinggggggrrrrrrr???

Bumping this cause I've been re-watching a lot of SNL sketches lately. Hader and Armisen were really a good pairing.

I enjoyed this:

A sketch that never made it to air, presumably because of how badly Bill and Fred broke during this dress rehearsal. I find it funny that Armisen who was notably the only guy who didn't lose his shit during the original Debbie Downer sketch just cannot keep it together for the life of him here. When he's telling the Rudolph story haha.

I also think of the two of them as Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip in those sketches where they would go from refined standard British accents to cockney.

The Californians episode that I tend to go back to is that Mick Jagger one. He was really funny as Stuart's dad.

Armisen's "oowwwatareyoudoinghere," never gets old to me.

I think the cast from midway through the first decade of the 2000s might very well be one of the best ever- Hader, Armisen, Wiig, Sudeikis, Seth Meyers, Keenan, Samberg, Moynihan, Forte, etc.

Factor in Poehler, Dratch, and Rudolph all near the end of their run and then near the start of the next decade getting Bayer and Pharaoh, Killam, and Nasim and I really think you have some great iterations there.

I never realized, until I saw this thread, how much I talk about the different routes I take to go places. But avoiding traffic is basically a professional sport in California.

This the best SNL on So Cal.

Original pre SNL.

I've watched all of these at this point and Armisen, Hader, Wiig, and Bayer were all epic in this. Bayer, in my opinion, had the funniest facial reaction of them when it would pan to the closeup. She looked legitimately stressed out and horrified in an over-the-top soap opera way. Wiig's Hader's and Armisen's over-the-top accents and their propensity for cracking one another up was just tremendous. On the Mick Jagger episode when Wiig goes, "Stewart, you never told me you had a dyad," it's like she's almost through it and then connects just how ludicrous and amusing the line is and breaks.

Even Vanessa, probably one of the GOAT SNL performers in terms of maintaining character throughout, loses it a bit in the mirror gag on the Karina return episode.

Armisen was notably tough to break during his run but he can't keep it together in these sketches. All the more funny since this was his brainchild.

As the youtube comments point out- hilariously- there's not a single woman in these sketches that was involved with Stewart that wasn't also, at some point, involved with Devan, making the trumped up hatred between the characters that much more comical.

You're never going to find parking on Colorado..
I said AROUND Colorado STEWART!

Finally got to watch the Jeremy Renner one. He was horrible like most guests. I just love how Fred can't keep a straight face in this one.

Applegate was one of the better guests in terms of actually fitting right into the sketch.

I found out she was an SNL alumnus. And she has lived in LA for many years I think. She fit like a glove to her character in the skit.

No surprise there.

All the other hosts typically seemed uncomfortable. THough I thought Jagger was hilarious and Bieber wasn't terrible.

Really even if you're talking cast members outside of Fred, Wiig, Vanessa, Hader and to a lesser extent Kenan and Killam no one else really seemed to fit. And I think Cecily Strong and McKinnon are great overall.

Last edited:
Back