Snowplow games

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Others who live in snow country will understand what I'm posting here. In the city, sidewalks have to be cleared within 24 hours of the end of a snowfall. Once everybody clears their sidewalks and driveways, the city plows come by and bury them again and property owners have to clear them. Since I sold my house in the city I haven't had to play that game.

We had what was forecast to be a big snow event that was supposed to start Sunday night and end by noon Tuesday. The forecast was for 7 to 12 inches of snow. It didn't start snowing until late Monday and was over by Tuesday morning and left about 4 inches. I haven't had to go anywhere so I wait to clear my driveway until I do. The county must have a lot of money left in the budget for plowing snow because they went by a couple of times Tuesday and a couple of times yesterday. I thought about clearing my driveway this morning about 9 am but decided to wait. At 11 am the county snowplow came by so it would have blocked my driveway if I had cleared it this morning so I would have had to do it again.

Sometimes it feels like they're toying with people.

I'm not sure if games is the right word to use, because this all seems like a burgeoning motive for murder.

My local maintainer riggd up a sheet of plywood on the curb side he can lower when he goes by driveways or fire hydrants. That way he’s not blocking people’s driveways.
About 5 years ago an ambulance got stuck in someone’s driveway because of the ridge. After that, they’ve tried a bunch of different things and the plywood solution seems to work the best.

It's irritating enough for people who clear their own snow but it has to be worse for people who hire someone. When I used to plow snow commercially we would always have to check back to see if the city blocked entrances to parking lots after we had cleared them. People who haul a snowblower around to do it must hate it as people don't want to pay twice.

The muni would block my mailbox with a 4ft wall of snow. Postal guy couldn't reach my mailbox so he wouldn't deliver my shit. Landlord was lazy so he didn't clear the snow away from the mailbox. Probably my fault for depending on people who take my money.

Side streets in Calgary get plowed maybe twice a year so I don't have that problem. Some of the pople living on major streets have their cars and driveways burried for weeks though. Fun times in either scenario.

I live in California. It once snowed lightly where I live during school and everyone stopped their shit and went outside to see it. Literally the whole school shut down for a couple minutes and everyone, teachers included walked outside. One of the two times I ever remember it snowing here.

Back