So can we all agree that Stipe has surpassed Cain as greatest UFC heavyweight?

Title really need "ufc" between GOAT and heavyweight lol

Said that i don't know, i like Stipe but best performances of Cain still impress me more

A fight between the best version of themselves will be pretty much a 50/50 though
Well it was just a comparison between Stipe and Cain, who both fought in the UFC for the majority of their careers. But I will try to edit.

Stipe clearly ahead here. He's had a helluva run and it's not over yet. I like watching Cain fight, but not sure as an MMA fan if I want to see him and Stipe. I'd love to see the fight, but I don't want Cain coming anywhere near the belt. Dude is held together with shims, duct tape and lego blocks at this point.

Keep in mind, I was speaking about the greatest in the UFC. I’m not putting Stipe over Fedor yet. But it seemed like the consesus around hear is that Cain had the better resume, and Stipe wasn’t in the conversation until he beat him. Who would you rank over Stipe and Cain in the UFC? Mir, Arlovski, Sylvia, and Couture are the only ones I can think of that you could at least argue, but none has had the length of success and domination as Stipe.

Uh, Junior dos santos? Cains resume is bad. It has zero depth. Cain is a ufc hypejob built off potential and the brock lesnar win who keeps being inserted into alltime lists when he doesnt deserve it. He hasnt done the work.

Jds has beaten Werdum, Yvel, Struve, Gonzaga, Nelson, Carwin, Cain, Mir, Hunt, Miocic, Rothwell. He cleared the division before ever fighting for the belt. THEN he kod Cain. THEN he kod Mir. JDS isnt a dominant champion and thus i wouldnt say hes the ufc hw goat, but technically hes the highest ranking ufc hw of all time. Jds is ranked number 4, and hes the only ufc only heavyweight to be that high.

For sure.

Cain had more potential. But he never lived up to it. Stipe is the most accomplished UFC HW champ ever despite usually being physically inferior. Impressive.
Agreed except I don't think he's physically inferior. He and Cain are the same weight, which seems to be the perfect weight for HW

I dont do the goat thing, dont like the word, even.

In other sports, we get 80 game season after 80 game season. or if you are into racing sports, year after year of competition.

The nature of our sport is that we base this shit off of a very, very small sample size, and in a game with many variables, stylistic matchups, referee stoppages, injuries, and so on.

It is hard to make claims.

But Stipe is one of the best HWs ever, for sure. Cain. Fedor, too, though he gets too much credit sometimes.

Agree with TS overall speaking but to me Cain is not that big as a threat, he would get stopped in first 2 rounds against Stipe and idk if he's not done, i think so.

Curtis Blaydes on other hand is young (26 or 27), has excellent wrestling and is improving very fast with his hands, i think he's going to be the one.

First of all, a healthy Cain is Stipe’s biggest threat to the title, and is the fight I think that most of us would like to see next. But the notion that Stipe needs to beat Cain to become UFC heavyweight GOAT is false, and is actually the other way around. Looking at their records and some simple numbers show that while they’re close, Stipe is clearly already ahead of Cain as far as UFC resume:

Cain Velasquez (14-2)
UFC record: 12-2
Title fights: 6
Title fight record: 4-2
Title defenses: 2
Top 5 wins: 5 (Antonio Nogueira, Brock Lesnar, Junior Dos Santos x2, Antonio Silva)

Stipe Miocic (18-2)
UFC record: 12-2
Title fights: 4
Title fight Record: 4-0
Title defenses: 3
Top 5 wins: 6 (Mark Hunt, Andrei Arlovski, Fabricio Werdum, Allistair Overeem, JDS, Francis Ngannou

Common opponents:
Fabricio Werdum- Stipe 1-0, Cain 0-1
Junior Dos Santos- Cain 2-1, Stipe 1-1

So in short Stipe has more top 5 wins, a perfect record in championship fights, and has more title defenses than Cain. Also, Stipe has a bigger advantage in diversity of opponents (Cain fought the same two guys defending), as well as Stipe staying fairly active and healthy. So imo, it is Cain who is the one who has to come back healthy and beat Miocic if he ever wants his Goat label back.
The fact you count Francis as a top win shows already Miocic is behind Cain.
Add HOW Cain dominated his foes and how Miocic couldn't put Francis away.... yeah... I vote Cain...

But then again, you are talking about GOAT... LOL

Both lose to this guy (easily). Well, so far at least.
<Fedor23>

Agree with TS overall speaking but to me Cain is not that big as a threat, he would get stopped in first 2 rounds against Stipe and idk if he's not done, i think so.

Curtis Blaydes on other hand is young (26 or 27), has excellent wrestling and is improving very fast with his hands, i think he's going to be the one.
When I just looked over Ngannou’s record, Blaydes stood out as a very good win, probably the second best one, imo. That was a good fight. Good call, people havent noticed Blaydes enough, yet.

Add HOW Cain dominated his foes and how Miocic couldn't put Francis away.... yeah... I vote Cain...

<Fedor23>
Cain went through a huge, ‘pillowfist blanket’ phase on these boards.
Dude, 5 KOs in a row against top heavies, and then he only dominates a decision against Ngannou. Damn.

Lost me when you asked can we all agree.
It' fair to ask if stipe is the goat in ufc at hw.
No way is everyone going to agree.
24 hours ago three quarters or more of people on here gave stipe no change of winning last night

Cain went through a huge, ‘pillowfist blanket’ phase on these boards.
Dude, 5 KOs in a row against top heavies, and then he only dominates a decision against Ngannou. Damn.
do you disagree Ngannou was dead after the first?
I mean what the f*** does the other fights have to do with the fact Miocic didn't even try to put him away?
WHy so butthurt you don't even see that the point is valid?

Healthy Cain.... good one

The Unicorn
nintchdbpict0002002577721.jpg

The Pegasus

41rIGFTHz4L.jpg

The Loch Ness Monster
nintchdbpict0002368798841.jpg

Flying Pigs

pigsfly.jpg

Healthy Cain Velasquez
UFC-Champion-Wrestler-Cain-Velasquez.jpg

<Fedor23>
What do you mean? Francis was the clear cut number one ranked contender and the guy a lot of people said would ktfo Stipe. I didn’t put him anywhere other than another top 5 win and title defense for Stipe, which he was.

do you disagree Ngannou was dead after the first?
I mean what the f*** does the other fights have to do with the fact Miocic didn't even try to put him away?
WHy so butthurt you don't even see that the point is valid?
you got butthurt out of that?
ok.

<Fedor23>
Yet werdum trashed Cain

Back