So shouldnt DC be LHW champion now?

Once Jones exhausts his appeals process shouldnt Cormier be reinstated as champion? Not sure weve ever seen this situation
You are correct. Jones will never be recorded as having won the title.

Yes. And we have actually seen this before in different clothing.

For example Tonya Evinger loses belt to Yana Kunitskaya, afterwards bout gets overturned to a NC so belt goes back to Tonya Evinger.

Only thing I'm not clear on is whether it would count as a title defence for Cormier or not. I believe in Tonya's case it did as she used it to tie Cyborgs title defence record in Invicta.

I mean, any organization can hypothetically break it's own clearly written rules, but my point is that they do have a protocol for how USADA tests affect the result of a fight where a fighter tested positive. What isn't so clearly stated is whether or not Cormier would remain champion, or if the belt would become vacant (which is fairly academic as Cormier will fight Gustafsson for the belt in his next fight, anyway). The belt becoming vacant would be consistent with how it tends to play out in boxing (although, as I said before, that's mostly academic as the fighter who loses usually gets an immediate shot at that vacant belt in their next fight).

Yeah man I know I just like to make some fun I mean we are talking about the company that's signed CM Punk James Toney Ludvig Borga. Not to mention they gave Cro Cop get out of jail free card. By deciding they let him compete in other places after failing a drug test that he technically didn't fail....

But at the end of the day some people take this too seriously it's Sports entertainment it has been sense UFC 1 and always will be.

Idiots. Its going to be ruled a NC. DC will get his belt back. This is not even an argument.

Yeah man I know I just like to make some fun I mean we are talking about the company that's signed CM Punk James Toney Ludvig Borga. Not to mention they gave Cro Cop get out of jail free card. By deciding they let him compete in other places after failing a drug test that he technically didn't fail....

But at the end of the day some people take this too seriously it's Sports entertainment it has been sense UFC 1 and always will be.

True, but a lot of money is at stake (much more than their used to be), and the perception of legitimacy (even if it's all bullshit) is important to maintain.

no matter what dc still isnt the real champ

Idiots. Its going to be ruled a NC. DC will get his belt back. This is not even an argument.

Cormier getting his belt back isn't a guarantee, by any means. In this situation in boxing, the belt would become vacant. Now, it's fairly trivial as Cormier will be fighting for the belt if it becomes vacant in his next fight, but there is no precedent here, and from what I can tell, no explicitly stated policy.

This has been my big question. But I think getting the belt back after a defeat is tough to make compelling. Daniel vs Gus isn't fair, but it's the only way to have some legitimacy to the belt.

True, but a lot of money is at stake (much more than their used to be), and the perception of legitimacy (even if it's all bullshit) is important to maintain.
I don'tthink anybody really cares about it. Just look at an NFL team if any of those guys not on steroids.
I'll show you a green dog.

Yes. But jeez, what a way to reclaim the title.
Its not a "reclaim" the win never existed in the first place, DC never lost.

I know we all "saw" the win and blah blah blah but if the fight is declared a NC means the win is simply invalid "sorry Jon Jones you just never won" so its not a reclaim, the title never changed hands regardless of what we saw

Since JBJ was the challenger not the defender he should retain the belt. Similar to what happens in a draw.

It would seem stupid that a champion should lose his belt because the challenger cheated and did roids.

Then again this is UFC and 'Murcia so anything is possible..

I don'tthink anybody really cares about it. Just look at an NFL team if any of those guys not on steroids.
I'll show you a green dog.

I wasn't exclusively talking about testing (I was more just talking about having at least the veneer of rules, regulations, and proper processes), but with regards to testing, I'd agree if they hadn't already taken that first step of bringing USADA in. They'd be fine if they never brought USADA in and stuck to the old shitty commission testing, but you can't unring that bell. Walking away from USADA would be terrible optics.

I wasn't exclusively talking about testing (I was more just talking about having at least the veneer of rules, regulations, and proper processes), but with regards to testing, I'd agree if they hadn't already taken that first step of bringing USADA in. They'd be fine if they never brought USADA in and stuck to the old shitty commission testing, but you can't unring that bell. Walking away from USADA would be terrible optics.

I just wish we could go back to simpler days when we had the UFC and pride. And nobody would even discuss this type of stuff.

I just wish we could go back to simpler days when we had the UFC and pride. And nobody would even discuss this type of stuff.

Mo money mo problems.

DC needs to beat Gus or Volkan. A loss is a loss but he should definitely have a short path to the title.

Uhm yeah a loss is a loss obviously but this is a no contest not a loss. The fight is invalidated and doesnt count just as if a fight ended due to an accidental eye poke for instance.

This is why I dont think its so cut and dry. I personally dont feel its fair to ask Cormier to fight for a vacated title I think hes still champion. Like I was saying.. if a fight ended due to 1st round accidental eye poke and it was declared no contest they would never strip cormier right?

I know what your thinking but what your saying is that the knockout still has some weight even though its no contest and I dont think you can really logically or fairly do that.

No one gives a shit about DC with or without belt. Jones is the one many pay to watch on PPV.
Oh come on people so giv
No one gives a shit about DC with or without belt. Jones is the one many pay to watch on PPV.
Yeah okay no one gives a shit about DC PPV wise like Jones but I dont give a shit about PPV dollars Im a fine of MMA. I give a shit about Cormier hes one of the best LHWs ever.

And as far as the UFCs concerned whether they prefer Jones have the belt or Cormier is irrelavent because they have to deal with this reality. Jones is gone and his career very possibly over. They have to move on whether they want to or not.

Its not a "reclaim" the win never existed in the first place, DC never lost.

I know we all "saw" the win and blah blah blah but if the fight is declared a NC means the win is simply invalid "sorry Jon Jones you just never won" so its not a reclaim, the title never changed hands regardless of what we saw

Sure. He never lost. He’s still LHW champion, Jones never beat him because he cheated.

...but this has got to be such a bad way for DC to hold onto it. The only way that’s worse is Jones got arrested again. Even if he cheated, Jones still finished the LHW champ and it’s still a HL reel knockout. I feel bad for the guy. Especially now that LHW is cleared out.

This has been my big question. But I think getting the belt back after a defeat is tough to make compelling. Daniel vs Gus isn't fair, but it's the only way to have some legitimacy to the belt.

Yeah but what defeat? That gets wiped away due to Jones taking performance enhancers. I know the fans saw what happened and from that angle it hurts Cormiers image but end of the day its not a loss on his record and not a defeat at all.

Sure. He never lost. He’s still LHW champion, Jones never beat him because he cheated.

...but this has got to be such a bad way for DC to hold onto it. The only way that’s worse is Jones got arrested again. Even if he cheated, Jones still finished the LHW champ and it’s still a HL reel knockout. I feel bad for the guy. Especially now that LHW is cleared out.

Yeah thats the real issue. Thats a highlight real shot forever now and the fans saw it. Its got to be harder to sell DC after that but end of the day its not his fault. He never lost because the fight counts as never happening. So its kind of hard to market him but its also kind of hard to tell him hes not champion being as hes never acctually lost his belt. He had no L on his record. I dunno I see it both ways.

If I had to guess I think the title gsts vacated to give Cormier a chance at winning the belt again rather than walking around with it and defending it all the while looking like a paper champion.

Back