So shouldnt DC be LHW champion now?

The fight should be declared no contest, so obviously DC should get his belt back.

But he's been stripped already?

Jones has been stripped of the title twice before but this time is different. Let me explain.

First time Jones was the reigning and defending champion. He violated UFC's Athlete Code of Conduct Policy and so UFC stripped him of his belt. Simple.

Second time was a few months after Jones won the Interim title. In this situation he tested positive for a drug test, but because the drug test was out of competition and not directly linked with the OSP bout in which he became champion, the fight result was never changed, but the belt was stripped from him anyway under the UFC's own discretion.

Third time however is different because Daniel Cormier was the champion, and Jon Jones failed the in competition drug test directly linked to him winning that belt. As a result the Daniel Cormier bout would be overturned to a no contest, meaning Jon Jones never won, meaning Daniel Cormier never lost, meaning Daniel Cormier is still the champion, and meaning Jon Jones will go down as a 2 time world champion and not a 3 time world champion.

Last edited:
If I had to guess I think the title gsts vacated to give Cormier a chance at winning the belt again rather than walking around with it and defending it all the while looking like a paper champion.
In order to set up a bout for the vacant Light-Heavyweight title, the UFC would first have to publicly announce that they are stripping Cormier of his title and give a proper explanation on why they are doing it.

Last edited:
Jones has been stripped of the title twice before but this time is different. Let me explain.

First time Jones was the reigning and defending champion. He violated UFC's Athlete Code of Conduct Policy and so UFC stripped him of his belt. Simple.

Second time was a few months after Jones won the Interim title. In this situation he tested positive for a drug test, but because the drug test was out of competition and not directly linked with the OSP bout in which he became champion, the fight result was never changed, but the belt was stripped from him anyway under the UFC's own discretion.

Third time however is different because Daniel Cormier was the champion, and Jon Jones failed the in competition drug test directly linked to him winning that belt. As a result the Daniel Cormier bout would be overturned to a no contest, meaning Jon Jones never won, meaning Daniel Cormier never lost, meaning Daniel Cormier is still the champion, and meaning Jon Jones will go down as a 2 time world champion and not a 3 time world champion.
Yea I get ya, it's sorta like he can never really be stripped as the result didn't happen but the ufc will most likely strip him before they wait for the NC to happen?

Yea I get ya, it's sorta like he can never really be stripped as the result didn't happen but the ufc will most likely strip him before they wait for the NC to happen?
Still a little off. If Jones officially tests positive (right now he's still in the middle of processing), then there would be no title to strip Jones of, period.

Basically if UFC wanted to have a championship bout for the VACANT Light Heavyweight Title, then they would first have to announce that they are stripping Cormier of his belt, not Jones.

Yeah but what defeat? That gets wiped away due to Jones taking performance enhancers. I know the fans saw what happened and from that angle it hurts Cormiers image but end of the day its not a loss on his record and not a defeat at all.
You're not wrong, but t seems like a perception is reality thing

Back