So what about Cody and TJs Gameplans?

RichardN7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just watched an interview of TJ saying he’s a ‘complete’ MMA fighter and wrestling could ‘definitely play a part’, alluding to his win over another heavy-handed opponent in Lineker.
That would be smart of him, but also disappointing to me.
I know TJ isn’t a just bleed guy like Cody and has no interest in banging it out with the king of banging, but if he did this would likely be the GOAT fight (unless one guy gets clipped and cuts short a spectacular night).
Wishful thinking aside, I think it’s safe to say TJ will feint high and go for the takedowns to sap Cody’s power and frustrate him emotionally, while also getting ahead on points early.
What about Cody though? He showed he could fight smart against Dom. Will he pressure TJ? Will he let the Snake come to him before snatching him? Definitely a sprawl-and-brawl approach tho.
Hope he’s able to nullify TJs ground game like he did Dom’s, otherwise we’ll be robbed of the best fight of 2017 and get a humpfest.

i think TJ will use TDs as an option, but not a plan A. like a great well rounded fighter should.

and i think Cody will mostly be able to counter the TDs effectively most of the time, as a great fighter shall.

i put the ground over-under at 200 seconds.

It should be obvious he wants a rasslin centered gameplan at this point.

He left bang and went to train with Munoz. That says it all to me

TJ really is a complete fighter. I think he beats Garbrandt by utilizing his wrestling and kicks. His kicks are great and he has the footwork to find good angles and to set them up.

Cody needs to be really in the zone to make his reads about what TJ will be throwing at him or if the snake is coming for that double leg.

Dillashaw takes the belt home, round 3 or 4 TKO.

I hope TJ has focused on panic wrestling in camp, because that's what he's gonna be doing.

Heavy hands is the only thing Lineker and Cody have in common. Cody is worlds better in everything.

I don't know why I still think TJ takes that one...

I don't know why I still think TJ takes that one...

Agreed... my gut instinct tells me TJ.

Leading up to the Cruz fight, Garbrandt was really outspoken and public, and came off as aggressive. I thought he was going to lose his composure during the fight and Cruz would counter him. I was very surprised to see Cody keep his cool throughout the fight and stick to his game plan. If anything, Cruz not being able to hurt Garbrandt, while getting stung good himself led to Cruz unraveling as the fight went on.

Now we get to see what happens when the shoe is on the other foot (in Garbrandt's case). Stylistically, I think TJ is a much worse matchup for Cody than Cruz was.

Back