So what the hell was Gary Tonon thinking vs. Kron at ADCC?

Points don't mean crap anyway. Quintet and all of these other submission only formats are the way to go.

When Gary goes against high lvl guys , he usually cracks and catches an L. Did it with vagner, same with kron. Fck all that " he's an exciting grappler" bull.

When Gary goes against high lvl guys , he usually cracks and catches an L. Did it with vagner, same with kron. Fck all that " he's an exciting grappler" bull.
Fair point but at the same time he subbed Vagner in their rematch right after ADCC and Garry's final sequence was basically a takedown to the back but that 2nd hook just never made it in. He didn't get blown out by any means.

Despite losing against the consistent podium guys like JT and Lepri I still think when Garry is really on and having a good day that he can beat basically anyone. He has some very impressive wins on the resume.

Fair point but at the same time he subbed Vagner in their rematch right after ADCC and Garry's final sequence was basically a takedown to the back but that 2nd hook just never made it in. He didn't get blown out by any means.

Despite losing against the consistent podium guys like JT and Lepri I still think when Garry is really on and having a good day that he can beat basically anyone. He has some very impressive wins on the resume.
That's the point though. Gary is better than Vagner , but when it's time to perform... He fcks it up. I hope he shakes the habit while in mma.

I've been wondering this since I first saw the match live:

Starting at 8:38:

Tonon has just taken Kron's back, and Kron eventually escapes. So the match goes out of bounds and is restarted in the middle with Tonon on top and Kron in seated guard. Tonon is up 6-0 and, though it's hard to tell exactly, there's obviously not much time left. So the match is Tonon's to win-- all he has to do is survive and he's pulled off a legendary come-from-behind upset-- but for reasons I can't figure out he drops back for one of the most telegraphed leglock attempts I've ever seen in a high level match. Kron sees it coming a mile away, and almost immediately passes Tonon's guard, takes his back, and the match is over just like that.

So, what was Tonon thinking going for this leglock? Did he feel more comfortable riding out the match from his back than on top since leglocks are a big part of his game? Has anybody heard him talk about this match, specifically the ending portion?

I don't know for sure, but I think it has something to do with Garry's desire to get the finish. I guess he wasn't as good with leg locks or he just got sloppy. I'd like to see a rematch. I think Garry takes the rematch.

Back