So when it comes to college, which is the best policy?

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Which do you think is the best way to handle how colleges are supported?

1. Free college for everyone after high school as Bernie has advocated for?

2. Free college for those who are qualified in a weeding out process as is done in Scandinavia

3. Ending of loans/grants and public support and making colleges free market based

4. Using the current university support system but without support for for profit colleges?

5. Changing the current policy on loans, having colleges be required to cover at least part of defaulted loans and not having any forgiveness plans?

6. Using solution 5 but altering it so that the thoroughly qualified, capable students in STEM, English, history and literature can get support and we don't have floods of majors that won't do anything?

7. Having private loans or more of a mix of public and private loans?

8. A fundamentally different solution from the above?

Leave the system basically the same, but put a cap on how much money a public institution can charge for tuition so that prices stay within reason.

Then introduce comprehensive programs into high schools where students can begin to learn trades such as being a plumber, carpenter, electrician, auto mechanic, computer programmer, etc.

Most professions do not need college at all. They need expertise. A lot of kids in high school feel hopeless because they are not on track for college and they have no idea you can make $75,000 a year as a plumber or electrician.

Free public college. Extremely low or even 0% interest rates on student loans and any low income child who gets a 3.0 or higher in high school is allowed to transfer from the public college to a state school after 2 years. Forgive all student loans after 15 years of timely payments and after 10 years if the person goes into public service.

I never understood why investing in our youth is a bad thing? Why should government be making money off it it? I mean who wants a bunch of uneducated people walking around?

And also do something about college textbooks costing 200.00

With a college sophomore in the house and another sophomore in high school I'd say increase the opportunities for concurrent enrollment so high school students can earn both HS and college credits for the same courses and definitely put a cap on tuition rates. Colleges nickel and dime folks to death and it's ridiculous.

Free public college. Extremely low or even 0% interest rates on student loans and any low income child who gets a 3.0 or higher in high school is allowed to transfer from the public college to a state school after 2 years. Forgive all student loans after 15 years of timely payments and after 10 years if the person goes into public service.

I never understood why investing in our youth is a bad thing? Why should government be making money off it it? I mean who wants a bunch of uneducated people walking around?
Do you think free college should be done the Bernie way or the way it's done in Finland with rigorous weeding out of high school level students so that only a select number of them go to college?

My problem with free college is that a lot of programs are making people dumber, and also making people waste the best and most productive years of their lives on a piece of paper that is rapidly losing it's worth in today's world. Everyone going to college isn't necessarily going to benefit society.

I say, STEM programs all get some tuition subsidies, based on academic performance. That way, people wont squander the opportunity to go into the programs. Something like, if you get a 4.0 you get free tuition for that term, if you get a 3.9, you pay 10% of tuition for that year. That way, we give incentives to people to not waste their time in college.

Non-STEM programs are left unchanged.

Do you think free college should be done the Bernie way or the way it's done in Finland with rigorous weeding out of high school level students so that only a select number of them go to college?

I'm fine with doing it the Bernie way. I'm for anyone and everyone having access to a free public college education. Not everyone will choose the college route but the option should be there without worrying about going into tens of thousands of dollars of debt.

End public funding as long as they're being run the way they are.

Partially subsidized so middle class needs to save to send their kids.

Is that still up to debate in 2017?
Follow the German system. I mean there are a lot of things you can criticise about the Germans, but not their supply of a qualified workforce.

End public funding as long as they're being run the way they are.
Because I had moderate debt from grad school (10 K or so due to a brief period where I couldn't be supported) I feel it would be difficult for me to enthusiastically argue that without being somewhat hypocritical but I can certainly see the case for it given what college has so often become. Perhaps the midway point could be making public support dependent on colleges functioning to first and foremost provide an education and not a good time for students, to treat them as students and not customers. And end public support when/if evidence shows up that they're not.

Is that still up to debate in 2017?
Follow the German system. I mean there are a lot of things you can criticise about the Germans, but not their supply of a qualified workforce.

Does the German system also have stricter qualifications than the American in terms of who can go to college? To my knowledge in Germany as well it isn't a Bernie Sanders system where they basically have everyone after high school going to college for free and being supported on demand to do so. Maybe I;m wrong and they do run it that way.

Because I had moderate debt from grad school (10 K or so due to a brief period where I couldn't be supported) I feel it would be difficult for me to enthusiastically argue that without being somewhat hypocritical but I can certainly see the case for it given what college has so often become. Perhaps the midway point could be making public support dependent on colleges functioning to first and foremost provide an education and not a good time for students, to treat them as students and not customers. And end public support when/if evidence shows up that they're not.

That would require a government that doesn't have it's best interests in pumping out obscene amounts progressives every year.

That would require a government that doesn't have it's best interests in pumping out obscene amounts progressives every year.
How could such a gov't be obtained, if it's possible?

How could such a gov't be obtained, if it's possible?

I don't know. It seems that the marxists have a stranglehold on the wests education system and government jobs are increasingly being occupied by this new generation of "students".

I don't see a way of reversing this problem other than what Dr. Jordan Peterson has suggested, that is cutting the funding to the humanities departments. It looks like he backed off on his website to identify post modern classes due to "concerns" by the professors running those courses. Which is just double speak for "they launched a new campaign of defamation at me and it'll be too much for me to handle".

Which do you think is the best way to handle how colleges are supported?

1. Free college for everyone after high school as Bernie has advocated for?

2. Free college for those who are qualified in a weeding out process as is done in Scandinavia

3. Ending of loans/grants and public support and making colleges free market based

4. Using the current university support system but without support for for profit colleges?

5. Changing the current policy on loans, having colleges be required to cover at least part of defaulted loans and not having any forgiveness plans?

6. Using solution 5 but altering it so that the thoroughly qualified, capable students in STEM, English, history and literature can get support and we don't have floods of majors that won't do anything?

7. Having private loans or more of a mix of public and private loans?

8. A fundamentally different solution from the above?

Some combination of #1 and #2, with #4 and #5 used as transitional policies.

LOL the phobia of higher learning on the right is so hilarious.

Yes, it is in the best interest of the state to produce educated persons who reject status quos, question the moral legitimacy of the state, oppose national propaganda, and actively fight back against authoritarian extensions of the state apparatus. Oh, yes, those persons are MUCH more preferable than "MURIKA FUCK YEAH" nationalists who think the country's enemies are evil, that rich people just work harder than everyone else, and that everyone needs to put their head down and stop complaining.

DERP.

I agree with a cost ceiling of public universities. How in the F did my college of Michigan Tech cost 30-40k per year in tuition? Where the fuck was that money spent on? I cannot phathom how they spent all of that per student per year

Lower that amount to something resonable and fair and that fixes all the other loan and scholarship issues

Free tuition for public colleges (you would need to have the grades/SAT scores needed to get in).

The federal government already spends so much on financial aid that just eliminating financial aid along with the bursars offices in the colleges would leave enough money to make public universities free without as much extra expense to tax payers as it may seem.

Only downside is this would eliminate many jobs at these Universities as this basically would eliminate the need for a bursars office. Also attending private Universities may be more difficult for people who currently rely on financial aid.
The trade off would be worth it in the long run IMO.

LOL the phobia of higher learning on the right is so hilarious.

Yes, it is in the best interest of the state to produce educated persons who reject status quos, question the moral legitimacy of the state, oppose national propaganda, and actively fight back against authoritarian extensions of the state apparatus. Oh, yes, those persons are MUCH more preferable than "MURIKA FUCK YEAH" nationalists who think the country's enemies are evil, that rich people just work harder than everyone else, and that everyone needs to put their head down and stop complaining.

DERP.

O look the neighborhood leftist troll again.

I'm a moderate for one thing, not "the right", and I've been to college to witness it first hand. It's not irrational "fear of higher learning", you intellectually dishonest hack.

Being intoctrinated into accepting false statistics, conspiracy theories, and gender studies myths is not "higher education". It's quite the opposite.

I agree with a cost ceiling of public universities. How in the F did my college of Michigan Tech cost 30-40k per year in tuition? Where the fuck was that money spent on? I cannot phathom how they spent all of that per student per year

Lower that amount to something resonable and fair and that fixes all the other loan and scholarship issues

Some universities spend the money on paying large sums to people like Hillary Clinton for speaking engagements.

Back