So when it comes to college, which is the best policy?

Big fan of ''free for everyone, but really difficult to get into'' idea. Makes for a nice atmosphere in my experience.

Out of high school students can go to a subsidized 2 year college where they can either learn a trade or earn a "pre-university"(for lack of a better term right now) degree for subjects such as STEM, or law, or English, etc.
Once you have a "pre-university degree" you can go to a university that can be paid with PRIVATE student loans, or grants, scholarship etc. to get a full undergraduate degree.

The Pre-university and university can operate in the campus under the same entity, but the pre-university part would teach a more standardized curriculum as opposed to the full degree curriculum.

Keep the system as is for the most part with certain changes.

Revamp elementary schools and high schools to promote more vocational options as well as a stronger focus on computer literacy, math and hard sciences.

Give increased grants based on academic performance and field of future study in post secondary.

Follow the Japanese route and limit amount of liberal arts acceptances and public institutions. No more students with a 70% average getting accepted into arts schools and definelty no more "C's get degrees." Gear students towards needed and applicable professions of the future. No more super saturation of the arts and humanities department.

IF you were to provide free education -- make it a rebate system where the student has to graduate with a respectable GPA first to prove themselves. There needs to be a carrot -- too many students already are flippant about post secondary even when they are on the hook for tuition -- taking away the responsibility that comes with financial burden will only make students less serious and way more lackadaisical.

Otherwise, library cards are free.

They need to revamp the curriculum to start. There is no anyone should spend 4 years of their life and thousands in debt and still not know shit. School should be shortened to maybe 3 years with a heavy concentration on internships or something.

To clarify, I think there is a valid case for every solution I outlined above except the first one. When it comes to free college for everyone after high school who wants it, that seems wholly unsustainable given how universities are now run. It would bog down the economy severely and leaving untold numbers of students not knowing why their college degrees have less value than high school diplomas did a few decades ago.

Cut out sports programs for colleges. A lot of the costs that students pay go into the various sports teams colleges have.

Not only will that save spending, it will prevent the kids who are there only to play sports, or do the "typical 4 year college experience" and just have those who have an academic reason to be at college.

How much debt at people in because they went to college, just to go to college? Then keep spending more money to switch degrees after they realize they don't like their field, or that their field is super saturated with qualified people.

Id start out with time saving methods. With time being the most precious resource, students should have the option of a faster process hence freeing that time for what should be more profitable ventures. Theres a very successful high school in my area thats an at your own pace model. It naturally seperates the driven from the lazy as well as allowing the driven to finish the year with a few months of grinding. Time management is only going to become more important considering just about everything going forward.

Im just a caveman, your bright, loud and fast world confuses and frightens me.

2. Free college. But you still have to meet minimum requirements. You will still have prestige, as the over-achievers will go to better schools.

The game doesn't change short of the monetary barrier that limits lesser-income students.

Some universities spend the money on paying large sums to people like Hillary Clinton for speaking engagements.

Yes! More "But Hillary"! Love it.
How else can we incorporate it?

Higher education costs are Hillary's fault. Her "adminstration", too?!?!?!

Join military and don’t pay for college?
Boom
So you just have to risk death....or move to a state like Georgia (or any of the others that already offer free in-state tuition).

Mandatory service isn't such a bad thing when you are a defensive force. When you are America, though, you are the furthest thing from defensive.

No forgiveness plans. It's enabling/encouraging people to not pay their debts. No more new debts until your old debt is paid off. I see so many returning students with a degree and loans unpaid. I asked them wtf are they doing and they say they can't do shit with their degree or that it's going to take forever to pay it off so they hope they can get a different degree and different job. lmao

I think our college/education system is fine the way it is. If people want to goto a for profit school then let them. There are many scholarships and cheap community colleges. In fact, many community colleges are already free. If you really can't afford college, there's financial aid. But I've seen so many students abusing the financial aid system. They use it for vacations, buy new cars etc. Then they rack up a huge college debt. Seriously, these students have nobody to blame but themselves!!!

We have one of the best college/education system in the world. College is practically free already. If you don't qualify for financial aid then it means you make too much money in the first place and can afford college. Tell your parents to not waste their money. Just look at Asia! If you're not in the top 5% you don't get into college. People literally start planning/bribing since PRESCHOOL!!

I think we're spoiled is all. I see so many millennial living like KANGS but then later on I found out they're still in debt...I'm like wtf are you doing out every night then?

Out of high school students can go to a subsidized 2 year college where they can either learn a trade or earn a "pre-university"(for lack of a better term right now) degree for subjects such as STEM, or law, or English, etc.
Once you have a "pre-university degree" you can go to a university that can be paid with PRIVATE student loans, or grants, scholarship etc. to get a full undergraduate degree.

The Pre-university and university can operate in the campus under the same entity, but the pre-university part would teach a more standardized curriculum as opposed to the full degree curriculum.

That's actually how a lot of people are doing it now. Even if they got accepted into a University, they still rather choose to goto a community college for 2 years then transfer to the same university cuz cheaper.

How anyone can think people who want to not only educate and better themselves but also better society by extension should be punished by forcing them into debt slavery is a 'good' thing is beyond me.

Its 2017 and you really want to punish people who want to modernize your society?

"Those guys wanna be engineers!!! Fvk em!! Make them go into debt for a billion dollars and our society can stay in the Dark Ages. That'll teach em!!!"

{<huh}

Leave the system basically the same, but put a cap on how much money a public institution can charge for tuition so that prices stay within reason.

Then introduce comprehensive programs into high schools where students can begin to learn trades such as being a plumber, carpenter, electrician, auto mechanic, computer programmer, etc.

Most professions do not need college at all. They need expertise. A lot of kids in high school feel hopeless because they are not on track for college and they have no idea you can make $75,000 a year as a plumber or electrician.

My old high school did away with all shop classes and computer classes. It’s pretty much the 4 major subjects and nothing else. And the kids there have always been behind the nation in math.

Anyone graduating there is fucked unless they are very self motivated and have access to equipment and knowledge. The internet helps the last part, but not everyone has access to a desktop computer, or a lift, or gas/electric welding equipment, etc.

Personally I think extending public high school 2 more optional years but putting kids on a career track at 16 makes sense. So you’re 11/12th years are a mix of general ed and job training, with the last 2 being focused on job training.

If someone wants to go to art school, whatever. That’s their business. But I’d like to see practical, job oriented education available to more people. Especially computer hardware and programming courses. As automation takes over we need a stronger tech workforce. And my anecdotal take as someone who currently and used to pour over resumes is that there aren’t enough qualified Americans. That needs fixing.

Which do you think is the best way to handle how colleges are supported?

1. Free college for everyone after high school as Bernie has advocated for?

2. Free college for those who are qualified in a weeding out process as is done in Scandinavia

3. Ending of loans/grants and public support and making colleges free market based

4. Using the current university support system but without support for for profit colleges?

5. Changing the current policy on loans, having colleges be required to cover at least part of defaulted loans and not having any forgiveness plans?

6. Using solution 5 but altering it so that the thoroughly qualified, capable students in STEM, English, history and literature can get support and we don't have floods of majors that won't do anything?

7. Having private loans or more of a mix of public and private loans?

8. A fundamentally different solution from the above?

8 -- a fundamentally different solution

Having a national online free university for everyone that will admit everyone modeled after something like Udacity. http://www.udacity.com

There's $1+ trillion of student loan debt outstanding, right? This could be done for like almost nothing.

Embrace the inevitable dominance of online/personalized education by phasing out the traditional resident university.

Hundreds of micro-certificates will be offered which might warrant employment on their own but can accumulate into a bachelor's degree or greater in a pertinent field.

Existing universities will become lab-centric for biochem etc students who require hands-on lab sections; they will also become more geographically disbursed so more students have access to these labs without relocation.

Watch as students magically lose interest in "swahili lesbian studies" aka close your eyes and pick whatever major your finger lands on because you're there to party and watch sporting events.

As more cost effective (maybe often free) self-paced online programs become available, traditional brick and mortar universities will get wrecked. Probably at least half of the current schools will either shut down or greatly change how they operate in the next decade.

Back