Sobering thought for the day

I can't prove that wrong because it is a perspective. But I question the statement based on how we define the words in the statement.

We: meaning each of us as an individual or meaning the collective of humanity? Existentially can the individual be separated from the whole existence within an individual's sphere of influence?
What is me? If I assume me to be a phenomena, my phenomena spreads out away from my locus of my existence into a infinitely branching, interconnecting network of influence. Everyone I've talked to, everything I've made, every atom that has touched me, every photon reflected off my bald head into space, is part of the overlapping phenomena of "me".

When I die the phenomena of "me" losses it's core, and becomes a diffuse ripple in a pond, but still the phenomena still persists. At what point in my arc of life, am I ever purely independent and separate from the apparent existence with in my sphere of influence? When are we ever truly alone, we are always in some way connected to the external world including all of the sentient beings that exist within it.

Even if we go literal here, to die indicates a transition between states, not a state. In any transition between states, there are states on either side of the transition(obviously). One requisite (obviously) for dying is the previous state being alive. So if you are alive and not alone and then die, you died "not alone". If you were not alone when the transition began, why would you say that the transition happened "alone". Perhaps the intent of the statement is that once we are dead, we no longer have consciousness of any other being, or any connection with existence, and are in that sense we are alone. I can accept that, but in that case you would need to revise the wording of the statement to be "After we die, we are alone.", but that is a very different statement.

That is your opinion.. and its a pretty good one ..

{<huh}

Some people die surrounded by family or friends, so not everyone dies alone. Also, there's a lot of stuff that can just kill you instantly. Before you have time to process everything.

It sounds like what you really mean is death itself is a solitary experience? But we don't KNOW if that's true either. I suspect when you die your consciousness just ceases to exist. But if there is an afterlife, and you do die at the same time as loved ones, maybe you could make that trip together. Who knows really.

I drank a strong lager, 2 extremely strong gin and tonicses and half a bottle of red with dinner, and I can assure you all, I am FAR from sober.

Pretty pished, if I’m honest.

Are we ever really truly alone?

I’m in my residence right now, no one else is inside this 4-walled structure, yet I am surrounded by beings and automobiles.

I don’t think the act of dieng will be any different.

Back