Soccer Players and boxing/striking sports

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Since world cup is on, I like to talk about soccer players who train boxing. I have noticed some of them like to train boxing as a side workout. Diego Costa probably being the most famous example. Famous former top flight footballer, Rio Ferdinand is taking up pro boxing. I guess its the perfect side hobby or workout as no chance of hurting your legs LOLZ.

But something I want to bring up, is after I would do a boxing workout, my legs will feel a little weaker than if I was doing a KB workout. I am not sure if it is just me, but I have seen pro-boxers in the middle of bouts, back away and start hopping, or stepping in place rapidly. Is this to get the blood flowing back into their legs?

Also for your entertainment. Here is a soccer player boxing a basketball player. The BBall player gases LOL after getting knocked down.

Since world cup is on, I like to talk about soccer players who train boxing. I have noticed some of them like to train boxing as a side workout. Diego Costa probably being the most famous example. Famous former top flight footballer, Rio Ferdinand is taking up pro boxing. I guess its the perfect side hobby or workout as no chance of hurting your legs LOLZ.

But something I want to bring up, is after I would do a boxing workout, my legs will feel a little weaker than if I was doing a KB workout. I am not sure if it is just me, but I have seen pro-boxers in the middle of bouts, back away and start hopping, or stepping in place rapidly. Is this to get the blood flowing back into their legs?

Also for your entertainment. Here is a soccer player boxing a basketball player. The BBall player gases LOL after getting knocked down.

cant remember the guys name, dunno if he still fights, but not too long ago there was a boxer who used to play soccer.

I do both sports. Boxing more for.fun while I am amateur footballer. Work from football transitions very well to boxing.

Anthony Joshua got a late start in boxing. He probably wanted to be a pro footballer.

I am sure guys like McG were same thing. MMA doesnt pay much. No one wakes up one day and wants to be an MMA unless all other options are exhausted.

cant remember the guys name, dunno if he still fights, but not too long ago there was a boxer who used to play soccer.

Leon McKenzie - 393 games 113 goals https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_McKenzie mostly in lower league English leagues but he did play a few times in the English Premier League when at Crystal Palace and Norwich and he started boxing after football http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/651964

Him boxing is no shock though as his dad is Clinton McKenzie http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/26654 and his uncle is 3 weight World Champion Duke McKenzie http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/8549

Last edited:
Among the Hispanic community it's very common for soccer coaches to have players they think could be National or World level learn to box. For one, they like the intense conditioning. Another thing is they like the development of toughness, which I find intriguing considering how much effing flopping goes on in soccer.

The two Brothers I train, Raul and Cristian Lara, were both very good soccer players. Cristian still plays at 11 years-old and is so good that his coach doesn't give a shit that he never goes to practices (he's at my Gym) and only shows up to play games and score goals. lol

Among the Hispanic community it's very common for soccer coaches to have players they think could be National or World level learn to box. For one, they like the intense conditioning. Another thing is they like the development of toughness, which I find intriguing considering how much effing flopping goes on in soccer.

The two Brothers I train, Raul and Cristian Lara, were both very good soccer players. Cristian still plays at 11 years-old and is so good that his coach doesn't give a shit that he never goes to practices (he's at my Gym) and only shows up to play games and score goals. lol

The conditioning though is different. For one thing, boxing uses the hands more strenuously. Soccer obviously is different. In fact, I dont know if this is normal, but when I trained boxing, I felt my legs were kind of weak.

I am not sure, but can focusing so much on upper body cause your body siphon more blood away from legs by closing off some capillaries? I have always seen some boxers break off and then start jumping a little bit. Is that the get their legs to freshen up a bit?

Running and falling down hard, trying to sell it, hurts real bad. Check out Neymar at the WC

Plus when receiving set pieces, lots of heads will clang

Man I was shit at soccer growing up, I mean I could kick the ball but thats about it skill wise, but from the boxing training no fucker on the field could catch me or get away from me. I literally had a “forest gump” style where people kicked the ball to me purely for me to sprint half the field and score lol. This worked against shitty teams but never against quality lol

Soccer and boxing conditioning while being different they transfer very well to each other. While soccers road work goes better to boxing, boxing is really intense, especially on the heavy bag and sparring. These 2-3 minute rounds are insane if done with proper intensity. Which translates well into 2-3 of running and 1 min rest during a set piece or a touch, corner or out in soccer. The body adapts to intense running and learns to recover during the small brakes.

Sure in soccer you drill more lunges, stair climbimg, sprints, hill, sprints and general LISS running more, while in boxing the core and shoulders are more involved but surprisingly the footwork is very similar in both sports especially when defending in soccer. Quick small steps where you try to position your body properly to close down the opponent or cut a passing channel and tackle or force him to back pass or something like that.

Soccer is not a sissy sport. Sure there is a lot of simulating going on but the amount of body clashing and kicking is huge even with the rule set protecting the players more and more with every year. Soccer players also play half the season with minor injuries all the.time. The team I follow had 2 of the veteran players play 4 games with broken toes while one of them with a broken toe, calf muscle injury and now he picked up a knee injury. In general the amount of injuries you pick up in soccer is crazy. Even when playing with friends in the last month we had a guy that had a huge ankle injury and one of guys that is a goalkeeper broke his wrist while landing on it. I also landed badly on my wrist in a slip and then completely injured it in a boxing workout.

Lastly I am guessing a lot of European boxers or sports people do play soccer or are good at it as the generation which are currently 25 + we really grew up on the neighbourhood football pitches.

Back