Sodium question for weigh ins/competition

Rock Hard

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So, for years, I always avoided sodium, thinking it was bad for you. Then, I saw this video a couple years ago...

So now, I take in 35g of sea salt per day with my water, and I feel great. I train twice a day for Muay Thai, Bjj, and mma, and compete in the amateur leagues. I feel like the high sodium intake has helped my performance in the gym the last couple years, but I still have a couple questions.

For a weigh in that takes place on Saturday morning, and you fight Saturday night (like an amateur MMA fight)...should you take out your sodium the week before or the few days before at all?

In the video, Rhino is talking about bodybuilding and powerlifting, and he says to NOT remove sodium the week before. Keep it consistent.

But can you take it out for a week to weigh in that morning, and replenish it back to fight/compete 5-7 hours later? Will you be 100% like you would if you were taking your sodium all week long?

So, for years, I always avoided sodium, thinking it was bad for you. Then, I saw this video a couple years ago...

So now, I take in 35g of sea salt per day with my water, and I feel great. I train twice a day for Muay Thai, Bjj, and mma, and compete in the amateur leagues. I feel like the high sodium intake has helped my performance in the gym the last couple years, but I still have a couple questions.

For a weigh in that takes place on Saturday morning, and you fight Saturday night (like an amateur MMA fight)...should you take out your sodium the week before or the few days before at all?

In the video, Rhino is talking about bodybuilding and powerlifting, and he says to NOT remove sodium the week before. Keep it consistent.

But can you take it out for a week to weigh in that morning, and replenish it back to fight/compete 5-7 hours later? Will you be 100% like you would if you were taking your sodium all week long?

I sodium load with my water. Basically for me its

Day 6 ; 2 gallons + 5-10g sodium (5000mg)
D5 ; 2 gallons + 5-10g sodium
D4 ; 2 gallons + 2g sodium
D3 ; 1l + 1g sodium
D2 ; 500ml + below 800mg sodium
D1 weigh in

But it is crutial to take sodium when rehydrating. Its going to bind the water. There's nothing worse than cutting 10lbs of water only to piss 6lbs out because you didn't retain it. You'll obv need potassium too since you're depleted from that, but that's not what the topic is about.

You'll never feel 100% after a cut. Mentally you might because you're motivated but it won't be the same. I do test cuts and notice this in each time

5-7h means 11-15lbs cutting. 1l per hour which is 11-15 lbs

I hope your sea salt is iodized, because nothing messes with a cut like thyroid dysfunction because you've followed some naturopath's bs recommendation to eat "pure, natural" salt.

Anyway, something I just learned is to cut fiber way way down during the last few days of a cut as well. Literally, gets rid of the bulk in your digestive tract.

I sodium load with my water. Basically for me its

Day 6 ; 2 gallons + 5-10g sodium (5000mg)
D5 ; 2 gallons + 5-10g sodium
D4 ; 2 gallons + 2g sodium
D3 ; 1l + 1g sodium
D2 ; 500ml + below 800mg sodium
D1 weigh in

But it is crutial to take sodium when rehydrating. Its going to bind the water. There's nothing worse than cutting 10lbs of water only to piss 6lbs out because you didn't retain it. You'll obv need potassium too since you're depleted from that, but that's not what the topic is about.

You'll never feel 100% after a cut. Mentally you might because you're motivated but it won't be the same. I do test cuts and notice this in each time

5-7h means 11-15lbs cutting. 1l per hour which is 11-15 lbs

This is excellent. People mess this up most frequently not by taking in too much sodium, but by not drinking enough water. Is you have never drank 2 gallons in a day, it will not be as easy as you think. You should be drinking 2+ gallons of water every day well more than 6 days out before the fight. Just be in the habit of drinking 2 gallons every day-All the time. Then when you suddenly go to 1 gallon, then 1 liter, your body loses water fast.

This is excellent. People mess this up most frequently not by taking in too much sodium, but by not drinking enough water. Is you have never drank 2 gallons in a day, it will not be as easy as you think. You should be drinking 2+ gallons of water every day well more than 6 days out before the fight. Just be in the habit of drinking 2 gallons every day-All the time. Then when you suddenly go to 1 gallon, then 1 liter, your body loses water fast.
Its funny the thought process I go through on the cuts

Day 1-3. Fuck this shit, too much water . I can toss it

Day 5. please come back water, sorry I was mean

Back