Sok Thy

J

Julius_Caesar

For those who don't know Sok Thy is a 20 year old rising star fighting out of Cambodia. Saw his fight against Lerdsila and was pretty impressed. A lot of people thought he won. Didn't know who he was up until then so props to Onefc for bringing him in. He seems to have a big following in Cambodia.

I did a little research and his record is 221 - 36. He also goes by the name KaKa when he fights in the Thai stadiums. Fights both southpaw and orthodox. Good low kicks. Not sure how good his trainers are. He'd probably be better off changing to a good gym in Thailand.

I've brought him up before on multiple occasions before and no one gave a fuck. In fact, I pointed out that he was one of only a handful of nonthais who fought at a decent level in the stadiums, who didn't have his own hype train.

He, almost certainly, was fighting out of a good thai gym (Paeminburi) during his stadium run, if not before. The whole labeling him as a Kun Khmer fighter is a bit disingenuous.

Well, I mean legendary Khmer fighter like Eh Phouthong is also labeled as a Kun Khmer fighter for nationalistic purpose despite training exclusively out of Thai gym during his stadium run.
I mean the Kun Khmer scene in Cambodia is very Thai fight-esqe that they bring in Thai cans for crushing purpose.

One fc gotta go to Burma and find the best leithwei kickboxer there and sign them.

I always remember Kaka because when someone brought him up someone else said "...you mean Kanka?" :D Seems to be the Eh Putong of his era.

@JkMMA ONE actually has gone to Myanmar and signed a bunch of Lethwei guys. I remember 2 of them fighting each other and it was essentially a Lethwei fight with MMA gloves in a cage.

Well, I mean legendary Khmer fighter like Eh Phouthong is also labeled as a Kun Khmer fighter for nationalistic purpose despite training exclusively out of Thai gym during his stadium run.
Yeah and it works. Sok Thy fights get a lot of views. Not many superstars coming out of Cambodia so its more appreciated by his people when someone comes along. Its like Pacquiao when he started boxing in america.

He definitely should have been awarded the decision against Lerdzila. Won rounds 2 and 3. Should have been a 5 round fight.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's been some Cambodian or Burmese or Laos fighter in the past who was really good. Like better than any other nonthai in history. Born on one side of the border, but moved across as a kid or a member of some semi nomadic tribe that lived right on the border. Immigrants and first generation citizens tend to make good fighters/athletes.

Don't know about home grown talent though, seems unlikely.

Last edited:
I've seen the name KaKa on muaythai2000 a few times but had no idea who it was or that he was fighting on ONE. Good call, I'll try to pay more attention from now on.

I always remember Kaka because when someone brought him up someone else said "...you mean Kanka?" :D Seems to be the Eh Putong of his era.

@JkMMA ONE actually has gone to Myanmar and signed a bunch of Lethwei guys. I remember 2 of them fighting each other and it was essentially a Lethwei fight with MMA gloves in a cage.

They have actually had at least a handful of fights under lethwei rules too.
Lethwei-IMG_7324-1200x800.jpg

Gotta love ONE...
MMA? Ok.
Kickboxing? Ok.
Muay Thai? Ok.
Lethwei? Ok.
Cage with small gloves? Ok.
Cage with big gloves? Ok.
Ring? Ok.
Submission only grappling? Ok.

But you are right. I remember seeing 2 Myanmar guys fighting MMA in ONE and one of them kept trying to headbutt the other lol

I love that kid's style. On a side note: it's crazy how fast Lerdsila faded in that fight. Somrak-esque.

For those who don't know Sok Thy is a 20 year old rising star fighting out of Cambodia. Saw his fight against Lerdsila and was pretty impressed. A lot of people thought he won. Didn't know who he was up until then so props to Onefc for bringing him in. He seems to have a big following in Cambodia.

I did a little research and his record is 221 - 36. He also goes by the name KaKa when he fights in the Thai stadiums. Fights both southpaw and orthodox. Good low kicks. Not sure how good his trainers are. He'd probably be better off changing to a good gym in Thailand.

Speaking of Lerdsila.....

I love that kid's style. On a side note: it's crazy how fast Lerdsila faded in that fight. Somrak-esque.
Blast from the past, I haven't seen you posting in here in years...

Big Lerdsila fan but he didn't win that fight, you can tell he probably didn't take this fight serious and barely trained

Been a big fan since I seen him on one of the ch 7 shows a few years ago, then found out he was Cambodian. My dad is Khmer so have always been quite proud to see a Khmer fighting on the Bangkok circuit - and doing well.

Anyone know when exactly he began training at Paedminburi?

Blast from the past, I haven't seen you posting in here in years...

Yeah, it's been a while. I'm still alive - just took a little break at some point and lost the habit I guess.

Its good to see some of the cambodians doing well. I think they have some really good fighters there.

One FC features lethwei fighters in their events held in Yangon.

I believe Saiyok might be fighting Tun Tun Min soon in Yangon if i guess they can pay Saiyok. Saiyok again past his prime but still would like to see how he does.

Back