Locked SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (First Reactions; Tracking for $160M+ Holiday Weekend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It did well on opening day, until people saw what a fooking dissapointmemt it was and it dropped off the face of the earth faster than any film in history at the box office.
Though I don't agree with the whole breakdown you gave... I do respect the way you presented it. This however is not true. You don't become the 9th best selling movie of all time due to a good opening day. It did not drop off the earth as you say... but stayed strong. I think what you are confusing is the fact that china did not pick it up. It did have a similar effect on China that you describe here... but by then it had all ready been around the world & was doing very well.

One thing I did not like was the modification of the famous line.

“I’ve got a good feeling about this” the actual line that has been in every single sw movie prior I’m sure had plenty of places to fit in.
Haha... me too... I want the original line. I suppose they could say Chewy says it after he sayz his line.

TLJ claims BB-8 said it in droid binary language in TLJ, but I did want more.

I figured out why Woody Harrelson's casting and character are annoying me so much, and it's not just Woody doesn't fit Star Wars and has the range of a mini golf course, it's that he reminds me of this:
marvel-guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-yondu-deluxe-sixth-scale-hot-toys-903168-07.jpg

It's being directed by Ron Howard....
The only movie that has been decent since the original trilogy has been Rogue One. The prequels were an abomination. The Force Awakens is a rehashed story line. The Last Jedi was terrible. The cartoons, Rebels and Clone Wars, have been better than the movies.
If they want to make Star Wars great again, they need to have Timothy Zahn write a script for a movie based on Thrawn.

Fuck Thrawn

Dude, like I said, the threads are full of haters because the movies suck. If they didn't suck, the thread would be full of fans. You think people actively want to dislike Star Wars? My God.

Oh, absolutely. I dont even know how thats debatable. Its the same with Marvel movies. People call them "cookie cutter bullshit" because theyre really popular and maybe they dont enjoy them. But the criticism theyre making is very accurate.

At the end of the day, its one thing to not like something. Its another thing to make declarations like the one above which are inaccurate and more to do with being anti trendy that actually giving astute criticisms.

So now you're telling me how to rate films? How can I give a film like AoTC anything above a 2 when it's so bad? It managed to not only age incredibly poorly from a production standpoint (the visuals are hilariously bad), but also somehow managed to get some of worst performances ever from fine actors. It's a terrible movie by any measure.

The Last Jedi might be one of the most tonally inconsistent films I've ever seen. From a narrative standpoint, it's an absolute mess. Literally it's only redeeming quality is that it's shot well. Even the score is bad IMO.

I rate films how I want to rate films.

He's not wrong, though. If you think something like TLJ is a 2, what could you possibly rank as a 1? Troll 2? So TLJ is barely better than crap like The Room?

Theres a huge difference between how you enjoy a movie and how well its made.

Like I said above, TLJ is garbage. Is that somewhat hyperbolic? Probably. I despise the decisions it made and the sledgehammered political messaging. With that said, if the worst possible movie that could be made is a 1, TLJ is far above it. Ranking it a 2 is the kind of hating he's referring to.

Though I don't agree with the whole breakdown you gave... I do respect the way you presented it. This however is not true. You don't become the 9th best selling movie of all time due to a good opening day. It did not drop off the earth as you say... but stayed strong. I think what you are confusing is the fact that china did not pick it up. It did have a similar effect on China that you describe here... but by then it had all ready been around the world & was doing very well.

Haha... me too... I want the original line. I suppose they could say Chewy says it after he sayz his line.

TLJ claims BB-8 said it in droid binary language in TLJ, but I did want more.

All the info I saw showed it dropping off faster than any other after opening weekend.

Jedi definitely has more weaknesses but I don't think theer fatal weaknesses being much more self contained and honestly even then I don't find the Ewoks THAT bad, unlike all the attempts to follow them since they do still have some charm to them, I spose helped by having prime Harrison Ford to play off of. Many of my favourite Starwars scenes are in that film though, the Luke/Vader stuff, the Deathstar attack(still the best space battle ever filmed for me), much of the Jaba section and Yoda's death.

The sequels and the prequels are just all over the place tone wise for me, cartoonish elements thrown into serious plots without thinking at all killing much of the credibility of the setting. The sequels especially feel like having some terrible youtube "comedy" reviewer sitting next to you making comments whilst you watch them.

I agree with this. If the fault of Jedi is Ewoks, ok. Im not arguing. But the entire first act is beyonf amazing. Right up until Jabbas barge explodes is as good as anything ever made in the history of ever. Take THAT, Citizen Kane!

Honestly, though, if the biggest flaw is Ewoks, thats still pretty goddamn good. Literally everything else is awesome. And it isnt like theres zero things with the Ewoks that are good. After the explosion when his buddy is slow getting up, then you slowly realize he's dead. Go fuck yourself if you dont get feels.

He's not wrong, though. If you think something like TLJ is a 2, what could you possibly rank as a 1? Troll 2? So TLJ is barely better than crap like The Room?

Like I said above, TLJ is garbage. Is that somewhat hyperbolic? Probably. I despise the decisions it made and the sledgehammered political messaging. With that said, if the worst possible movie that could be made is a 1, TLJ is far above it. Ranking it a 2 is the kind of hating he's referring to.
I know exactly what he means and it doesn't change my criteria. As a feature film, does it have higher standards than Troll 2? Yeah, absolutely. When any critic scores a film, they aren't using Troll 2 as a baseline. They're using their own criteria. The Last Jedi was one of the very worst movies I've seen in recent memory. It's almost unfathomable that a film with that incoherent of a narrative even made it past the cutting room floor.

I also only watch movies that interest me, so I'm not basing my criteria off all movies. I'm basing it off comparable movies, like most other people do.

So basically, the haterz just wants to feel the big bad in Star wars or they're out?
That's an oversimplification of my oversimplification. I definitely think haters need STAR WARS to stay inside a pretty tight lane, but not necessarily need a strong villain.

What fans want is laser swords and ninja shit, and there aren't enough opportunities for that during legislation.

But the problem, really, is that it's impossible to justify wanting to see laser swords and ninja shit as a grown man. Ergo, STAR WARS didn't ruin anyone's childhood, people just got too grown for laser swords and ninja shit. By themselves they no longer support their ridiculous natures, so they've got to be either cooler than hell, or bolstered by an appropriate story. Fewer adults are willing to just go with the crazy spectacle.

You can’t polish a turd, just because a turd is bright shiny chrome doesn’t mean it’s not a turd anymore

I’ve seen plenty of great movies done on low budgets that aren’t shiny and flashy but they are still great movies.

I agree with this. If the fault of Jedi is Ewoks, ok. Im not arguing. But the entire first act is beyonf amazing. Right up until Jabbas barge explodes is as good as anything ever made in the history of ever. Take THAT, Citizen Kane!

Honestly, though, if the biggest flaw is Ewoks, thats still pretty goddamn good. Literally everything else is awesome. And it isnt like theres zero things with the Ewoks that are good. After the explosion when his buddy is slow getting up, then you slowly realize he's dead. Go fuck yourself if you dont get feels.

I think that shows the difference as well, the Ewoks themselves might be a more cartoonish element but the plot they are within does largely stay pretty down to earth. You could argue I spose that if theres a bigger fault there its that the Han/Leia story isn't that dramatic although I think that's countered somewhat by it being crosscut with Luke's story.

As you say bar that terrible new song the Jabba section to me feels like pretty much perfect blockbuster cinema, managers to be thrilling, threatening, characterful and amusing.

Honestly looking back at Jedi I think if they'd wanted to make sequels following the original story they should have done it in the late 80's and based it on Leia's character, I think theres naturally more drama potential there relative to Luke and Han who feel like they've been completed as character arcs.

You can’t polish a turd, just because a turd is bright shiny chrome doesn’t mean it’s not a turd anymore

I’ve seen plenty of great movies done on low budgets that aren’t shiny and flashy but they are still great movies.

You cant pick up a piece of cardboard and call it a turd. Repeating the same argument with different words isnt a rebuttal.

A lot of it is expectation I'd say, its simply far higher for Starwars than it is say for Transformers.

All the info I saw showed it dropping off faster than any other after opening weekend.
TLJ made $220 million opening weekend... & then went on to make 1.333 billion which is the 9th best selling film of all time. So during this time period you are speaking about where TLJ dropped off... it made another 1.113 billion dollars. I'm not seeing how that is a drop off. Perhaps you saw false reports, but most movies don't even come close to making a billion dollars... & TLJ made more than that "AFTER" opening weekend.

Budget has nothing to do with the quality of a film.
I want to say that's more true for the quality of a story. Film is different.

It's not that higher production values are everything, but they do play a factor in how a film is received. For instance, compare Corman's FANTASTIC FOUR to either of the more recent iterations. Let's take a look back:

doomed2.jpg

Even back then, we knew this was corny as hell. But to your point, Dolph Lundgren's PUNISHER has about the same level of quality but that's much more fondly remembered because it's story is more commensurate to its overall budget. I mean, the rock suit alone had to set a MF back a few. The point is money does matter, when it comes to film.

While this can be countered by citing that Gus Van Sant's PSYCHO shot-for-shot remake absolutely does not improve on Hitchcock's version, that's merely because the Hitchcock version already exists; in which case I'd apply this thought experiment: What if both PSYCHO's were released simultaneously? Which, then, would be preferred?

In the case of TRANSFORMERS -- yes, the films are shit but that doesn't take away from the notion every fan of TRANSFORMERS growing up wanted to see the robots in live-action. The Bay films delivered that, but they just shot themselves in the foot with over-designed robots and incoherent narrative. And this isn't even getting into the dire storylines they concocted. Just the way Bay tells his story.

I totally buy into the relative film criteria, and how some people can say TLJ or whatever is a 2/10. It's half of why I never really rank films myself. It's more interesting to me to see the criteria people bring up. Most of the time people don't even know what they want; they just know what they don't like. It's pretty fascinating, including how people elect to stand on their platforms.

Just watched the trailer. The characters don’t really feel like Han and Lando to me, but it looks alright. It doesn’t have the Star Wars feel, but I’m cool with that for spin offs. I don’t know, kinda meh but I think it’ll be serviceable.

I totally buy into the relative film criteria, and how some people can say TLJ or whatever is a 2/10. It's half of why I never really rank films myself. It's more interesting to me to see the criteria people bring up. Most of the time people don't even know what they want; they just know what they don't like. It's pretty fascinating, including how people elect to stand on their platforms.

Most peoples scales are going to be at least 5/10 for something that's not a total mess which does rather narrow the range down.

Ratings to me seem to imply a direct link between very different styles of cinema as well that isn't really present, I mean I find it very difficult to directly compare say Starwars to something like Kieslowski.

Just watched the trailer. The characters don’t really feel like Han and Lando to me, but it looks alright. It doesn’t have the Star Wars feel, but I’m cool with that for spin offs. I don’t know, kinda meh but I think it’ll be serviceable.

Honestly in some ways I'd kind of glad of that, I think people doing impressions of Ford and WIlliams would very quickly wear thin. I'd much preffer the film to just look to stand on its own, make a decent star wars smuggler/gangster feature that just happens to have Han Solo in it.

I'm liking that it doesn't look "too big" either, I think a significant problem with the sequels and indeed the prequels is they got locked into a bigger is better mindset at the expense of originality. Starwars doesn't need to be massive scale to me very entertaining, indeed most of the originals are actually dealing with smaller scale events only building up to epic action in the climaxs.

Id like to see that info because, as a fellow star wars fan with 20/20 vision, i know how disappointing that movie was when i saw it. However, im pretty sure it had shit competition. Producers knew it was a star wars season, so why release big movies then? They didnt know it was a shit show.

I mean, if someone had told you it sucked without spoiling it, ill bet, if u didnt see it the 1st weekend, youd see it the next weekend to find out if its true. Shit, it would be my moral imperative to go, and id go in thinking 'no way can this be bad.' If i had gotten the spoilers, i woukdve gone in thinking people were lying.

God damn, thats how last jedi is, isnt it? Its as if someone was kidding around about what happens, but it actually fucking did.

Anyway, i remember it being a sell out.

But..

Now that seeing is believing, i will not be going to the next one. Id have to be told that snoke and luke arent dead. But rose is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back